DACS this month are offering the chance to WIN Racked Preamps worth £1350 $2450
Up for grabs in this month’s competition are a pair of top-quality Clarity MicAmp 500 preamps made by DACS, a British manufacturer and distributor of high-end pro audio equipment with over 20 years experience. Regular readers of Sound On Sound will know that it can be tough to impress our Technical Editor, but our competition prize this month comes highly recommended by Hugh Robjohns, who reviewed one in last month’s issue.
The DACS MicAmp 500 is a single-channel preamp for 500-series racks, with audio circuitry that’s virtually identical to the standard rackmounted Clarity MicAmp 2, which Hugh describes as a “standard bearer for fantastically transparent and quiet mic preamps”, and the 500-series version performs just as admirably.
“Build quality is superb, with the same distinctive stacked trio of SSM 2220 chips (which contain pairs of matched transistors forming the low-noise front-end gain stage), and the technical specifications are exemplary, particularly the extremely low distortion and noise figures. More importantly, the sound quality is still stunning” says Robjohns.
The front panel features a coarse gain switch (spanning 20 to 64 dB, in 4dB increments), and a continuous trim knob providing a further +8dB of gain. Toggle switches flip the output polarity and switch in a high-pass filter with a 12dB slope at both 30 and 80 Hz. The final control is a large, red, 48V phantom power push-button, while metering is provided by a column of four LEDs.
If you’re not yet part of the 500-series club, don’t worry. The prize also includes a three-slot power rack of your choice, either a Radial Workhorse Cube or Powerstrip, to house the preamps. The result is a fully working, two-channel preamp system that would make the perfect front-end for any recording setup. Also, because there is a spare slot in the power rack, you have room to expand further into the big wide world of ‘Lunchbox’ modules.
To be in with a chance of winning this incredible bundle, fill out and return the form below, or enter via our web site, by September 9th. Good luck!
Prizes kindly donated by DACS Ltd.
DACS +44 (0)191 438 2500
The small print
- Only one entry per person is permitted.
- Employees of SOS Publications Group, DACS LTD and their immediate families are ineligible for entry.
- No cash alternative is available in lieu of the stated prize.
- The competition organisers reserve the right to change the specification of the prize offered.
- The judges' decision is final and legally binding, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No other correspondence is to be included with competition entries.
- Please ensure that you give your DAYTIME telephone number on your entry form.
- Prize winners must be prepared to make themselves available in the event that the competition organisers wish to make a personal presentation.