--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/for-mash-get-ash

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: fay spook]
      #1020000 - 23/11/12 10:27 PM
I was expecting bullshit.
However, I wasn't expecting that he'd actually jump the shark (and the rainbow and moon for good measure)

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

narcoman

#1020009 - 24/11/12 12:22 AM
Quote fay spook:

Read this and see what you think....

RA tests

What results were people expecting? Please be honest here

That is a classic example of fitting a test to show a result. Fortunately he isn't stupid enough to claim it means any thing; read the What the plots don't show us section

Well designed power supplies are unaffected by radio interference "collected" in a mains cable. It's Russ Andrews ineffectual way of getting back at the legal warnings he received last year.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: narcoman]
      #1020092 - 24/11/12 05:37 PM
Brilliant example of RA using utter BS to try to make a point that doesn't exist, while squirming to avoid trading/advertising standards censure again.

The rise in pseudo-science BS across all products is really disturbing. What are our schools doing?

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Gone To Lunch

Loc: London
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1020138 - 24/11/12 10:49 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

The rise in pseudo-science BS across all products is really disturbing. What are our schools doing?

succumbing to the doctrine of free market forces

Edited by Gone To Lunch (24/11/12 10:50 PM)

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1020189 - 25/11/12 11:11 AM
The plots are great. The very best 'rejection' afforded by this ludicrous mains cable amounts to a fraction over 20dB, but only at 100MHz -- BBC Radio 1 territory. If a power supply is struggling to keep that out of its DC power rails the equipment is very, very seriously flawed!

Most high-end audio gear has audio bandwidths extending to maybe 100kHz or so, and this cable introduces about 2dB of 'rejection' at that frequency. I can think of many ways of achieving far better rejection in the PSU than that at those frequencies and in far more cost-effective ways!

And the use of linear scales is wholly inappropriate and grossly misleading!

Usefully, what the plots do show is that a conventional mains lead is entirely appropriate and fit for purpose!

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1020215 - 25/11/12 01:50 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

The plots are great. The very best 'rejection' afforded by this ludicrous mains cable amounts to a fraction over 20dB, but only at 100MHz -- BBC Radio 1 territory. If a power supply is struggling to keep that out of its DC power rails the equipment is very, very seriously flawed!

Most high-end audio gear has audio bandwidths extending to maybe 100kHz or so, and this cable introduces about 2dB of 'rejection' at that frequency. I can think of many ways of achieving far better rejection in the PSU than that at those frequencies and in far more cost-effective ways!

And the use of linear scales is wholly inappropriate and grossly misleading!

Usefully, what the plots do show is that a conventional mains lead is entirely appropriate and fit for purpose!

hugh

I had a good giggle at those plots too!

But gentlemen you really should get this in proportion. As a bullshitter he really is a novice. I can still remember the advert for washing powder that claimed to be better than all the rest because it contained 'WM7' - strangely I don't remember the name of the product

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
      #1020226 - 25/11/12 03:00 PM
I see you mr Andrews and raise you the Nutritional Supplements industry (In fact add the purveyors of Homeopathy, Chiropractors and several other subsets of alternative medicine in with the same set), or even the mobile phone trade, with its rather unique definition of "Unlimited internet".

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: dmills]
      #1020231 - 25/11/12 03:17 PM
Quote dmills:

or even the mobile phone trade, with its rather unique definition of "Unlimited internet".

I made a formal complaint to the ASA about a certain phone company's use of the word 'unlimited', since they were setting a 'fair use' limit. The ASA took the side of the company, saying that 'unlimited' meant 'unlimited' for most users, since they'd probably never hit the limit.

I suggested that the ASA might want to contact the Oxford English Dictionary team to let them know the new accepted meaning of the word 'unlimited'.

As to Russ Andrews: he makes money based on Wizard's First Rule. People will believe things they *want* to be true.

After spending hundreds of pounds on a power cable the purchaser can't then admit they were duped, or that the cable made no difference - that would make them look like a gullible idiot. So they will defend their purchasing decision ("I don't care what you say, *I* hear a difference") and encourage yet another hopeful purchaser, who will then go on the add to the believers and the supporting voices. Get enough numbers of 'believers' and you become a heretic for disbelieving.

If you want to see this process working at high speed then attend a psychic evening - it's an education!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: The Elf]
      #1020233 - 25/11/12 03:24 PM
Quote The Elf:

If you want to see this process working at high speed then attend a psychic evening - it's an education!

I don't bother going to those, much prefer Remote Viewing them from the comfort of the pub.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1020249 - 25/11/12 04:43 PM
Quote zenguitar:

Quote The Elf:

I don't bother going to those, much prefer Remote Viewing them from the comfort of the pub.

Andy

Through the bottom of your glass I presume?

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Some Russ Andrews info new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1020252 - 25/11/12 04:48 PM
Quote zenguitar:

Quote The Elf:

I knew you were going to say that! :

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4106

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media