Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
johnny cash's boots

Loc: bonnie dundee
Home studio design
      #1022398 - 04/12/12 11:30 PM
Hey everyone I'm trying to best utilise my limited space at home for recording synths and drum machines and making a right old racket. My room is 139 inches (3.5m/ 11' 7") long x 97 inches (2.4m/ 8' 1") wide. On one of the long walls is a window and on one of the short walls is the door. I confess the mathematics/ science of the subject do not excite me as much as the noise making and until now my approaches have been largely haphazard and also dictated by finances and physical space limitations. That said I purchased a second hand set of Mackie HR624 Mk1's and thought that perhaps I should do them some justice and invest some time into getting the most out of them. I have had my desk and speakers set up along the longest wall as detailed in Paul White's article http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/articles/monitors.asp (and this wall faces the window) where he says "it's generally accepted that working with the speakers set up along the longest wall is preferable, especially in smaller rooms, as this minimises problems caused by side-wall reflections". But I have been doing some further reading of late and came across this in the SoS forums also http://gikacoustics.com/positioning-listening-spot/ - any thoughts anyone? It would seem that this is the basic starting point for any home studio. Any other ideas about how to get the best out of my space would also be very welcome...
Thanks in advance, together in electric dreams and all that... JCB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Gadget13769

Loc: West Midlands
Re: Home studio design new [Re: johnny cash's boots]
      #1022600 - 05/12/12 11:03 PM
It sounds like my room is a similar size and layout to yours.

Here's a pic looking towards my 2.64m front wall. I have my monitors shooting down the 3.4m length. It may give some inspiration...

GIK Acoustics

Loc: Atlanta, GA & Bradford, UK
      #1022828 - 06/12/12 07:17 PM
Odd - that is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest sitting against the long wall. I understand the point - but there is always going to be side wall reflections regardless of which way you're orientated. All the acousticians I know would certainly recommend setting up against the short wall (unless this destroys symmetry, of course).

Either way - if you wanted to get rid of damaging early reflections and get the best response out of your room, the correct suggestion is to test & treat the room. Try out both orientations and find which one works best. Treat the early reflections in the room and get some good bass trapping in the corners.

If you have a microphone (preferably an omni mic) handy, you can use this program to test your room so you can find optimal position: http://gikacoustics.com/room-eq-wizard-tutorial/

--------------------
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA (770) 986 2789 | GIK Acoustics Europe +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)

johnny cash's boots

Loc: bonnie dundee
Re: Home studio design new [Re: Gadget13769]
      #1023083 - 07/12/12 07:47 PM
Hey Gadget thanks very much to have taken the time to have replied to my query. Your studio seems very similar to mine in respect of size (even the window looks to be in the same place) and yes seeing a pic has been inspirational. I'm new to the world of bass traps etc but will continue to read up on it... And thanks also to you Alexander testing and treating the room is logical. I've had the room as is (monitors on the long wall for about 2 years) so it should be interesting to see what the differences are comparison wise when i try it with the monitors on the short wall. I seem to remember in my haste to get set up just using that one article as a guideline and not fully appreciating the extent of the dark arts of the 'acoustician' and reading any more on the subject to get alternative views.... Thanks again guys

Edited by johnny cash's boots (07/12/12 07:57 PM)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Home studio design new [Re: GIK Acoustics]
      #1023240 - 08/12/12 11:39 PM
Quote GIK Acoustics:

Odd - that is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest sitting against the long wall.

Always used to be standard advice - and also the way that I prefer to set things up in my studio.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

MGBR

Re: Home studio design new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1023252 - 09/12/12 06:49 AM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote GIK Acoustics:

Odd - that is probably the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest sitting against the long wall.

Always used to be standard advice - and also the way that I prefer to set things up in my studio.

James.

Hi,

This confuses me a lot, my room is 5.55 x 2.55 metres and I was always advised to set up my monitors against the short wall because handling reflections from the side walls is easily done and this way you have more choices for choosing your listening position trying to avoid the worst room modes.
Could you please explain the benefits for setting up against the long wall? I'm willing to try it out but that would take some serious rearranging so I only want to do it if there's a chance for things sounding better.

MGB

Gadget13769

#1023272 - 09/12/12 11:08 AM
I believe the thinking behind not shooting across the width of the room is that very short direct reflections from the monitors rebounding off the back facing wall are likely to be more problematic than glancing the side reflection points, therefore, it's better to leave the longer distance to the back wall and then easily treat the nearer side reflection points with some absorption (?)

MGBR

#1023283 - 09/12/12 12:25 PM
That's exactly what I had always understood,I couldn't resist so this morning I tried it out anyway and placed my monitors on the long wall, didn't work for me so I quickly put them back on their old spot.

MGB

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1023782 - 12/12/12 12:00 AM
Quote Gadget13769:

I believe the thinking behind not shooting across the width of the room is that very short direct reflections from the monitors rebounding off the back facing wall are likely to be more problematic than glancing the side reflection points, therefore, it's better to leave the longer distance to the back wall and then easily treat the nearer side reflection points with some absorption (?)

That's pretty well spot on Gadget13769.

I carried some tests in my small studio back in 2004 when it was empty (i.e. before adding any acoustic treatment), and the difference was significant:

As you can see quite clearly from this frequency response plot, pointing the speakers down the shorter dimension (green trace) resulted in terrible dips at 70Hz and 120Hz, and these remained no matter how much I adjusted both speaker and listening positions. Turning the studio round 90 degrees so the speakers fired into the longer dimension (white trace) reduced these frequency dips significantly, even before acoustic treatment.

Actually, this screenshot has since become quite well known - I even gave permission for it to feature in a recent book about acoustics

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Gadget13769

Re: Home studio design new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1023829 - 12/12/12 09:44 AM
That's quite a difference!

I need to get myself set-up to do some actual tests in my room...

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4606

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media