Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
DeWall516

Home recording using direct outs
      #1034227 - 20/02/13 08:06 AM
So I am in a band and we play live shows quite regularly. We recently wanted to start recording some material and I have questions about a setup. I have a Mackie 32.4 that we use for live shows. I can currently do some shoddy recordings one track at a time which is great until you want to record drums. Then I need to record 8 tracks at once or just get a good drum mix and just hope it will suffice for the final recording g without being able to eq or add effects to each piece of the kit individually. My board has DB 25 direct outs on it (4 sets of 8) and I was wondering if there is a way for me to get my 8 drum tracks separately recorded into a program (probably cubase) and keep them separate the whole time? Any information on what kind of interface should I be after? Thanks ahead of time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Home recording using direct outs new [Re: DeWall516]
      #1034228 - 20/02/13 08:15 AM
Quite simply, you need an audio interface with a minimum of 8 inputs. If the inputs include mic pre's then you can get that mixer out of the way, which would be preferable IMO.

There are plenty of options. SOS recently did a round-up of multi-channel interfaces HERE.

The older RME Fireface (not the UFX) is still my favourite at this time, for it's price, hassle-free drivers, TotalMix software and audio quality.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1034229 - 20/02/13 08:29 AM
I would think the most cost effective solution would be the Tascam US 1600?

I know you are paying for mic pres' you don't need but I do not know of an 8 line input AI?

Dave.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1034257 - 20/02/13 10:24 AM
If this is something you only need to do occasionally, then the most cost-effective solution would be to hire a multi-channel line-input recorder of some form, hook it into your desk, record your base tracks in the usual way, and then import the recorded tracks into Cubase from the hard disk afterwards. There are plenty of options for multitrack HDD recorders and all are pretty straightforward to use if you're recording analogue sources.

You could look, for examplem, at hiring something like the JoeCo Black Box recorder which can record all your direct outs in one hit, saving to disc as WAV files. You can then import the files to Cubase for mixing etc.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1034260 - 20/02/13 10:32 AM
Starting to see a few of these
(Zoom R16)
on eBay now
eBay

Edited by shufflebeat (20/02/13 10:46 AM)

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1034289 - 20/02/13 12:28 PM
... and THIS looks interesting...

Also see THIS VIDEO from Sound on Sound TV

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: Home recording using direct outs new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1034353 - 20/02/13 04:56 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

Starting to see a few of these
(Zoom R16)
on eBay now
eBay

Our bass player has one and we've used it to record the whole band. 4 mics on the kit (BD, SD 2x OH - Google the Glyn Johns method), DI from bass, emulated outs from guitar amps. Only issue we had was that it glitched when recording 8 tracks simultaneously at 24 bit (probably not the fastest SD card). Very easy to import the tracks in to Cubase for further editing / overdubs / mixing.

I've also used my Alesis Fusion 6HD in the past although this isn't as portable and its a bit of a pain getting the tracks into Cubase.

Dow Fereday

Loc: Wales UK
Re: Home recording using direct outs new [Re: The Elf]
      #1034696 - 22/02/13 03:31 PM
I personally have used the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 pre (8 tracks only) and with an Alesis HD24(great for live mic capture). As you have a line level source an Alesis HD24 will record up to 24 channels for you. There is normally an issue with monitoring your tracks but if you are using insert leads and putting compressors before the inputs and gates after the recorder this should be obvious from your out front sound (which will be compromised by recording and producing live sound at the same time)..... so FOH balancing only on the faders.
Other recorders from Mackie fostex tascam with in/outs will also work
keep the levels low....Test during rehersals and carry far too many cables..Good luck

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2719

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media