Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Giscol

Loc: manchester, UK
HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing...
      #1076846 - 29/11/13 09:15 PM
Hi All

I have a pair of active monitors, one of which has recently started to pop fuses. Having cottoned onto the fact that this isn't normal, I thought to check the other speaker (the that isn't blowing). I got them second hand so it's quite possible that they aren't the first set of fuses.

Anyhow, they're 5x20mm glass type, both marked T 1.25A L 250V, but the wire inside is visibly different. The one that doesn't blow is straight and thicker. The one that blows (I bought a pack of 10 thinking all fuses are created equally) has thinner wire with a blob in the middle. I believe the T stands for slow blow, which is what the manufacturer specifies. Can I have the wrong or inferior fuses in my speakers? Any thoughts before I go back to the manufacturer?

Thanks very much for any help.

Rod

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing... new [Re: Giscol]
      #1076858 - 29/11/13 10:59 PM
Have you tried one of the new fuses in the "good" speaker? That will tell you if it's the fuse.

When does it blow - at turn on, at random, or when being pushed?

It might be worth swapping the channels and seeing if the same speaker still blows, in case it's an issue with the channel. It shouldn't be, but it is worth eliminating the possibility.

Giscol

Re: HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing... new [Re: damoore]
      #1076860 - 29/11/13 11:15 PM
Hi Damoore - thanks for your reply

The fuses always seem to blow at power on. They've never cut out if they survive that. Sometimes the bad one will be fine for a while, surviving a few power ups.

Right now, for instance, they're both working. I've put the 'good' fuse into the other speaker and it's survived power on fine. However, I've put one of the thin wire/blob fuses in and it too has survived power on. But I'm not confident (after going through 5 in a week) that it will continue to do this.

Is it possible that I should get extra slow blow fuses (TT rated, I think?)?

Thanks again.

turbodave

Loc: derbyshire uk
      #1076879 - 30/11/13 08:09 AM
Hi, Stop looking to change the fuse and get the problem sorted! There is a reason......find it! Dave

--------------------
My head hurts!

Giscol

Re: HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing... new [Re: turbodave]
      #1076880 - 30/11/13 09:04 AM
Hi Dave, I know what you mean but the problem isn't restricted to one of the speakers, I have tried swapping power cables, mains sockets etc but the only consistent thing is which type of fuse blows. It's just whichever speaker has this alternative type of fuse in it.

Last night I swapped the fuses and as expected, the good fuse is fine. This other type of fuse has now blown but in the other speaker!

I will email the company and see what they suggest. Thanks.

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
      #1076883 - 30/11/13 09:36 AM
Are you sure your new fuses are T1.25 and not say T125mA?

Where did you source your fuses from?

Personally I would suspect a dud batch of fuses for the symptom of the fault following the fuse, but that does not explain the first failure.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1076927 - 30/11/13 07:52 PM
While the T indicates that it has a slow blow characteristic, it doesn't necessarily tell you how slowly it will blow. I wonder if you need to check the fuse specifications a little more thoroughly to find out what the differences are? I suspect that in this application the original fuses may have been chosen to be slightly slower to blow than normal in order to withstand any inrush currents. Any decent supplier should have the full data sheets available.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1076944 - 30/11/13 11:56 PM
Hi Rod,
I have just checked the fuse in one of my Tannoy 5a's and it too is T 1.25A.* The monitor is only rated at 100W (rating plate max consumption) which would imply a mains current pull of only around 440mA max. The reason for the massive fuse over rating is to cope with "inrush" current when the large internal capacitors charge up. You have not given the make and model of your monitors (please do!) so I can't look up their rating but my Tannoys are about as wee as decent ones get and so anything beefier I would expect to be fused to the next value of T1.6A.

Fusing electronic equipment is not that exact a science! The inrush current makes it hard to get a low enough rating to be protective but not cause nuisance blowing. Do get in touch with the manufacturers and ask if there has been any such problem. If they are 1/2 decent bods they should send you a couple of fuses free gratis, unless of course they have a good idea of a stock fault.

*The Tannoy fuse is of the coiled kind and they supply a spare in the back of the IEC mains carrier!

Dan! Know what you mean. About 3 month ago I wasted an hour looking for a short in a 200watter when I had in fact fitted a 315mA mains fuse!

Dave.

Giscol

#1076993 - 01/12/13 02:48 PM
They are unity rocks. I emailed them yesterday so may get a response on Monday. The fuses I bought were cheap ones off eBay , can anyone recommend a reliable fuse supplier? Thanks again, all.

dmills

Loc: High Wycombe, UK
      #1077001 - 01/12/13 03:51 PM
CPC, Farnell, Rapid, RS, Maplin (in a pinch, more money then god) whoever your favorite components place is.

Regards, Dan.

--------------------
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

ef37a

#1077004 - 01/12/13 04:41 PM
Quote Giscol:

They are unity rocks. I emailed them yesterday so may get a response on Monday. The fuses I bought were cheap ones off eBay , can anyone recommend a reliable fuse supplier? Thanks again, all.

Ok, found the manual.
I read that each speaker contains two 100W AB amps which is considerably more powerful than my Tannoys (30+20W IIRC) so it could well be that 1.25A IS marginal especially if your mains voltage is near top tolerance.

N very B! I am NOT suggesting that you fit an uprated fuse! You must never do that unless given the nod by the manufacturer.

If you get the fuses from Maplin take a glass with you to inspect them for value. I have had a lot of wrong resistors from mssrs Maps!

Dave.

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1077006 - 01/12/13 04:48 PM
It sounds like the rating on your eBay fuses are either marginal or wrongly marked. Any of the mainstream component suppliers should provide more reliable fuses, bu I'd call Unity and ask nicely for a couple of factory fit spares!

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

ef37a

Re: HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing... new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1077008 - 01/12/13 05:08 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

It sounds like the rating on your eBay fuses are either marginal or wrongly marked. Any of the mainstream component suppliers should provide more reliable fuses, bu I'd call Unity and ask nicely for a couple of factory fit spares!

H

I thought they might not include a spare because they would not want "user replacement" but page 5 of the manual gives you chapter and verse on this!

Dave

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1077015 - 01/12/13 06:26 PM
I've just been re-reading your descriptions of the fuses. There are several different kinds of antisurge/slo-blo/time delay fuses, all marked with a T on the case, but with different ratings for the time they will support an over-current.

Some antisurge fuses are dual-element types, which look like they have a spring inside for half the length (MDQ). Others have a thin wire wrapped tightly around a thicker wire (MDL) -- and I suspect this is the type you're describing as the original fuse. There there is the type with a blob (or two or three blobs) on the wire (ATE).

The first two are usually rated to sustain twice the rated current for at least 3 seconds (and often 5) while the third is rated to carry twice the rated current a minimum of only 2 seconds... So if the in-rush current is over 1.25 amps for several seconds, it's possible that the ATE fuses can't quite cope and so tend to blow more often.

I'm sure Unity Audio will be happy to supply some fuses of the right type, but if not look for a supplier of the appropriate rated fuses with the dual-element spring inside, or the wrapped wire, rather than the blob!

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Trevor Johnson

Re: HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing... new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1077020 - 01/12/13 07:37 PM
Just to add to the expert comments.

The transformer / power supply topology determines the fuse type:
Toroidal - slow acting fuses, because of the inrush current at power on.
Clamp type - more commonly nowadays in valve equipment when you have secondaries for valve heaters, etc. - fast acting fuse.
Switched mode power supplies - fast acting fuse: there is a standard, IEC-60127.

Look at Rapid, Farnell or CPC for the appropriate fuse. Using the correct fuse is critical for yours, and others, safety,

Hope this is of help.

ef37a

Re: HELP! fuse in one of my speakers keeps blowing... new [Re: Trevor Johnson]
      #1077043 - 02/12/13 09:23 AM
Quote Trevor Johnson:

Just to add to the expert comments.

The transformer / power supply topology determines the fuse type:
Toroidal - slow acting fuses, because of the inrush current at power on.
Clamp type - more commonly nowadays in valve equipment when you have secondaries for valve heaters, etc. - fast acting fuse.
Switched mode power supplies - fast acting fuse: there is a standard, IEC-60127.

Look at Rapid, Farnell or CPC for the appropriate fuse. Using the correct fuse is critical for yours, and others, safety,

Hope this is of help.

In general you will only find one T fuse type in "domestic" equipment, the "wire with spring" type (used to be called Anti-surge)

The bigger valve amplifiers will use them regardless of transformer type because the inrush heater current is large, the cold resistance of an EL34 e.g. being only 0.5 Ohms.

In practice getting "fancy" with fuses is a bit pointless. The only product I saw where I recently worked that had an "F" fuse in it was a 200watt amp in the HT supply just feeding the OP anodes. If a KT88 popped and blew the fuse they would invariably come back with a T fitted!

We now have reliable surge limiting thermistors and so fusing can be that bit tighter.

Dave.

Giscol

#1078086 - 06/12/13 08:32 AM
Thank you all so much for your informative responses I now feel overwhelmed at how much I didn't know...

Kevin at Unity suggested the speakers may need a service, but as they do work if the fuse survives power on I have sourced some different fuses (same rating) from another supplier. These appear to be of the coil (MDL - thanks Hugh!)) type - hopefully they will do the trick. Otherwise I think it may be service time!

Thanks again,

Rod

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2561

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media