Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
NL-Frank

Loc: Netherlands
DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork)
      #1082969 - 12/01/14 02:55 PM
Hi Everyone,

For those having trouble remembering lyrics (like I do) and have restricted free time available, I have the following solution (no electronics, no woodwork, no programming..!)

Ingredients:
- Housing of a Behringer VP1220F floormonitor
- Tronsmart MK 808 II Android TV stick
- Flymouse TSM01 (to interact with the stick, not on stage but during configuration etc.)
- Scythe USB footswitch (2 switches)
- Small USB hub (Tronsmart has one USB you need 2, one for Flymouse RF and one for USB switch).
- LED Monitor (with HDMI)

Use EBookDroid app to display a .pdf file, generated from word for example (anything is possible), rotate it up front (tools enough on the Internet) to get in portrait. Set Ebookdroid to night-mode to get white text and black background. Set Ebookdroid to go backward on "1" (standard code from USB switch) and forward "2" (right footswitch). There is no Android driver available, but this way you don't need it. Install an autostart app to launch Ebookdroid and set Ebookdroid to automatically load your lyrics pdf file.

That's it for the configuration. You can use Dropbox for example to get the lyrics file to the TV stick. If you plug the mains it boots in about 20 secs and shows your lyrics! Remember no harddisk! Just solid state and very robust technology.

I have modified the side interface of the VP1220 to allow for a mains chord and a USB plug (for the footswich). Make sure that the TV-stick is mounted in such a way that the passive air cooling is still possible. The LCD monitor is fixed with Hook and Loop tape (it is not very heavy). I had to remove a small part of the wood, to have it fit (see pictures). You can still use the original protection of the VP1220 for transport or protection on stage when not in use.

I think it looks very professional and for a lot less that the comercially available prompters. There are a lot of other possibilities, remember it can show HD video, has wifi and many available apps!

Maybe it will inspire others as well, I'm looking forward to see other applications!

Links to pictures:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27613462/Stageprompter/Stageprompter%2 0front.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27613462/Stageprompter/Stageprompter%2 0internally.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27613462/Stageprompter/Stageprompter%2 0overview.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27613462/Stageprompter/Stageprompter%2 0side.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27613462/Stageprompter/Stageprompter%2 0LCD%20protection.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards Frank.

Edited by NL-Frank (12/01/14 03:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork) new [Re: NL-Frank]
      #1082984 - 12/01/14 05:20 PM
Hi Frank, and welcome to the forums.

Quote NL-Frank:

no electronics, no woodwork, no programming..!

That takes all the fun out of things !!

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

One Horse Town

Re: DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork) new [Re: NL-Frank]
      #1083007 - 12/01/14 08:37 PM
Brilliant. It does look very professional.
I've seen Elton John using something like this which is operated by off-stage crew I assume, which enables a couple of lines to be displayed at a time (large font). I use a piano on stage (with my own hair) and may have a go at this BUT.......
Is the writing big enough to be seen from a couple of metres away?
Can the unit be used in landscape mode?

Thanks

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
Re: DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork) new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1083012 - 12/01/14 09:42 PM
Quote zenguitar:

Quote NL-Frank:

Andy

{snigger}

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

DGL.

Re: DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork) new [Re: One Horse Town]
      #1083015 - 12/01/14 09:59 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

I've seen Elton John using something like this which is operated by off-stage crew I assume, which enables a couple of lines to be displayed at a time (large font). I use a piano on stage (with my own hair) and may have a go at this BUT.......

Thanks

i've done this sort of thing by just placing a standard monitor (without stand) on the music rest for my organ (Yamaha HS8) might be an option for piano. Helps to get a monitor with bottom mounted connectors.
As for using the diy system horizontally, if the casing will support it then it is actually a better option as it is a better viewing angle for the display.

NL-Frank

Re: DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork) new [Re: One Horse Town]
      #1083037 - 13/01/14 08:29 AM
Quote One Horse Town:

Thanks

You can have any size you want, as long as you can make a .pdf file of it. Even one symbol on the 22" screen is possible:-)

Landscape/ protrait both possible, you rotate the .pdf yes/no.

regards, Frank

NL-Frank

Re: DIY Stageprompter (No programming, No Electronics, No Woodwork) new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1083038 - 13/01/14 08:30 AM
Quote zenguitar:

Quote NL-Frank:

Andy

Thanks for the welcome! I have learned so much from this forum I'm happy I can give something to the forum.

I fully agree on the fun-part! I used to built a lot of stuff, now it is the (non) availability of enough spare-time

Regards, Frank

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1083180 - 13/01/14 06:35 PM
What is the 'spare time' you speak of? Is it something I can buy from Amazon?

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 798

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media