Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
The Fold Studios

Loc: Forest Hill, South East London
Stud walls and isolation
      #989109 - 23/05/12 10:20 AM
Hello,

I have a friend who has a room (4 walls) that he hopes to use as a place to practice drums in. Two of the walls next to each other (starting from one corner of the room) are quite thin (partition walls) and one of these walls is also where the door is.

If he built two new stud walls inside the existing 2 (thin) walls as well as a new sealed door, would this help with some sound isolation? he isn't trying to keep all sound out, but wants to just improve in the areas where he believes the sound is more likely to travel through. he is also going to build a drum riser to help prevent the sound traveling through the floor.

Any comments and opinions welcome.

--------------------
BLOG - http://www.thefoldstudios.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Stud walls and isolation new [Re: The Fold Studios]
      #989123 - 23/05/12 11:11 AM
It would probably help but be aware that sound will also travel along the more substantial walls and into the existing stud walls so, ideally, you should consider building a stud wall all around the room. Don't forget the ceiling and floor as well - what are they made of?

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

The Fold Studios

Loc: Forest Hill, South East London
Re: Stud walls and isolation new [Re: The Fold Studios]
      #989132 - 23/05/12 11:44 AM
Thanks James,

I'm not sure what the floor is made of, or the ceiling, I'll have to ask him and find out. I think he does intend to build a floating surface to reduce contact between the kick drum and the floor but I think it would be a drum riser kind of size as opposed to a complete floating floor. I think he mainly wants to know whether he's going to be wasting his money treating the two thin walls or whether it will still make a significant difference - though he's well aware that it will be far from miraculous.

--------------------
BLOG - http://www.thefoldstudios.com

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1958

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media