Main Forums >> DIY, Electronics, Studio Design & Acoustics
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
extraborg

Using Deoxit to clean keyboard contacts on Roland SH09
      #993998 - 21/06/12 06:12 PM
I have bought some deoxit d5 to clean the keyboard contacts on my Roland SH09 but does anybody know where the keyboard contacts are and how are get to them. Is it simply a matter of taking the top panel and spraying just above the keys (where the springs are) are do I need to disassemble it further? Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: Using Deoxit to clean keyboard contacts on Roland SH09 new [Re: extraborg]
      #994087 - 22/06/12 08:31 AM
http://www.synthesizerarchiv.de/circuits/roland/sh09/sh09.pdf

This might provide some help. I can't help you on how to best dismantle it or how to clean the contacts effectively, just go slowly, photograph each part of the disassembly and make sure you take note of what screw goes where! Using an earbud/q-tip with some de-oxit sprayed onto it is probably the best way to go and use a gently wiping motion.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

nathanscribe

Loc: Yorkshire, by 'eck.
      #994232 - 22/06/12 04:56 PM
I cleaned my SH-09 last year - dismantled the whole thing, washed the panels, all the keys, cleaned the sliders and PCBs, replaced the rivets and generally made sure it worked properly when it all went back together. Looked good as new, as much as it could do after 30+ years. Anyway. The keybed is fixed to the base by four screws, but you might have trouble if you only undo those. The top panel unscrews from the top of the end cheeks and the rear of the base, and the bender panel also unscrews from the base and front lip. Undo as little as you have to while not risking damage. Those end cheeks are only plastic, and the posts that hold them screwed on are not amazingly sturdy. There's some flex in that base once it's free, and you don't want to snap anything.

Once you have the keybed out as a unit, you can remove each key (working from the end) by carefully pushing the rear end down to disengage it from the bar that holds them down - make sure you don't lose the springs, and make sure you don't snap the plastic that holds the bushing on each key. Once the keys are off you can give the lot a good scrub, and get all that gunk out from under them, and you also have easier access to the contacts.

Good luck! It's not hard, but does take care and patience.

--------------------
my nerdy synth tech blog

extraborg

#994342 - 23/06/12 02:37 PM
Thanks both of you. Here is what happened.

With fear and trembling I began to dismantle my SH-09, behinning with the top panel, then sides, then they keyboard/modulation block. Everything went smoothly except I managed to snap one of the plastic pillars on one of the side cheeks (although I think I'll be able to superglue this).

Then I was able to lift up the keyboard and spray the contacts with deoxit from the underside (without having to take off the springs). I'm amazed at the effort it must have taken to build
this old synth).

I then left it to dry to ten minutes or so and reassembled it. By the time I'd finished I was pleased to find I only had two washers left over (not bad for me). I switched it on. Lights! Sound! And no sticking keys! Triffic! Again, thanks so much!

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #994696 - 25/06/12 06:30 PM
Glad you're sorted extraborg, and thanks for the DeOxit feedback

I've recommended it often enough that it's always reassuring when someone reports back that it's succeeded once again

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

extraborg

#995497 - 30/06/12 12:03 PM
Hi Martin, totally sorted thanks. The DeOxit worked a treat on a crackly volume pot too. I'm resisting the temptation to spray it on everything. One thing I would like to say is how helpful I found the SOS forum and the forum members who took the trouble to reply with what turned out to be totally sound, accurate advice - saved me from sending the synth off to be fixed and trusting it to the UK postal service. As I said, I now have a functioning synth and can get back to having fun with it. Again, thanks to everyone, including the SOS forum for being there.

nathanscribe

Loc: Yorkshire, by 'eck.
      #995830 - 02/07/12 09:28 PM
No problem. If there's something I've learnt from twenty years of fixing up my own gear, it's that it's worth having a go if you take it slowly, are methodical, careful, prepared to research and learn, and know when to back off and get somebody else to do the job instead of making it worse yourself.

I've only broken one thing so far and that was because I stupidly tried to fix my CS-15 on the bed instead of a table. Note to self - it really doesn't save time.

Bedding's still got a hole the shape of a soldering iron to remind me.

minortron

#1023991 - 12/12/12 08:12 PM
This website is really useful if you are opening an sh-09 for the first time

http://fixingelectronics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/sh-09-disass...

It tells you exactly which screws need to be removed in order to open it up without also unnecessarily removing the circuit boards from the the body. In addition to these there are a further 4 large screws holding the keybed to the base and 2 smaller screws holding the mod wheel in place. Once you have removed these you can lift up the whole keybed to get to the contacts.

I used Maplins contact cleaner instead of deoxit. It was was only £4 for a large can and did an excellent job. It was my first time cleaning synth contacts but it was pretty straightforward and went well thanks to this forum and the other blog linked above.

Hope this will help someone else.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5035

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media