Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Variax Transplant
      #1021339 - 29/11/12 09:45 AM
Anyone done this?

I've managed to reflash my v300 and get it back into the land of the living which is nice. But even a guitar numpty like me can tell it's not so good to play. So my options are :

1. transplant into a full guitar (Vintage or Pacifica)
2. Just replace the neck (hello Warmoth)
3. full rebuild (hello Warmoth, this arm and this leg)

Anyone done any surgery? all input gratefully accepted..

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
lukeandrewhill

Re: Variax Transplant new [Re: Dave B]
      #1021342 - 29/11/12 10:04 AM
Hi

I looked into this a while back as I am a lefty and they don't do the JTVs left handed. There is a company in Wales that I found on the net that will fit the guts of a Variax into pretty much any guitar you like and were pretty reasonable on prices. I'll try to find you a link to the place, but it took a lot of searching on t'internets to find it last time - might be a job for my lunch break...

L

--------------------
please make it all simple.

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
Re: Variax Transplant new [Re: Dave B]
      #1021372 - 29/11/12 12:44 PM
It depends why you find it bad to play Dave. If it really is just the neck that you don't like, then a replacement is by far the easiest and best option.

Warmoth have a shed load of Variax options. And here's a couple of links to Variax 300 transplants. One is a custom build and the other is a guy who has three conversions. The Les Paul is a Vintage, and another is a Pacifica. They do give you a clear idea what is involved in a conversion.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2458

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media