Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers
      #1022324 - 04/12/12 03:49 PM
Without getting too Peter Frampton about it, are there any other ways to control guitar volume while playing (apart from pedal or volume knob on guitar)?

I know Jeff Beck has made the guitar knob control (while playing) into an art, but otherwise I suppose foot and mouth are the only remaining ways to do this? Pedals tend to produce an uneven effect because the front of the foot is longer than the heal where the pivot is. In fact, a sprung roller for the foot (like a decent keyboard pitch bend) might be better than a pedal.

But, (if we put musical expression before looking cool) I think only the mouth would be sensitive enough for real expressive control: clenched lips cause 'volume down' on a device that is gently sprung to be open by default. It'd be good for wah-wah too I suppose ... not to make it talk though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers new [Re: ]
      #1022326 - 04/12/12 03:58 PM
Optical wah ... it was on Tomorrow's World many moons ago and used fibre optic cable and a light sensor. It was on a wah but I'd expect it to be easily changed to be volume.

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

DGL.

Loc: Portland, Dorset
      #1022337 - 04/12/12 05:12 PM
How well would breath control work (like on a synth). Might me a useable solution.

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
      #1022338 - 04/12/12 05:18 PM
Dig it.

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #1022343 - 04/12/12 05:35 PM
The Ernie Ball pedals are spring & string operated. Expensive, but excellent. I've been using my Morley Slimline Echo/Volume pedal for 30 years now, works fine for me. Very controllable, you just need to use it and practice.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

zenguitarAdministrator

Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers new [Re: The Korff]
      #1022344 - 04/12/12 05:37 PM
Quote Korff:

Dig it.

Very nice

Andy

--------------------

Goddard

#1022409 - 05/12/12 02:17 AM
alt guitar? I remember that newsgroup!

Used to experiment with MIDI guitar a lot. With some MIDI guitar interfaces you can do all kinds of interesting things sending MIDI messages to control whatever MIDI-controllable parameters of whatever MIDI-controllable gear you like. And split/zone the fretboard so that things change depending where you finger. Axons were really versatile at that.

Nowadays, you can just slap a little Kaoss pad on.

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1022812 - 06/12/12 05:23 PM
Quote zenguitar:

Quote Korff:

Dig it.

Very nice

Andy

Indeedy — and funnily enough, I just this minute received an email about a new wireless USB-MIDI version! Info here: http://www.sourceaudio.net/hh-usb-reserve/?utm_source=HHUSB&utm_campai gn=Vote+Email&utm_medium=email

Cheers!

Chris

zenguitarAdministrator

Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers new [Re: The Korff]
      #1022835 - 06/12/12 07:38 PM
More very nice

Andy

--------------------

Goddard

Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1022906 - 07/12/12 04:46 AM
A little advice on Hot Hands- try before buy (or buy with a good return policy). Sounds are quite nice, but the controlling of them may cause one some consternation and a hot head instead.

That said, I do know a keyboard player who loves his midi controller, so maybe it's just down to me being too spaz. Perhaps if they offered it with a larger toe-sized ring...

A somewhat similar approach using light beams and one's own body rather than a hand-worn ring is Roland's "D-Beam" tech as implemented on the VG-99 V-Guitar System which can be stand-mounted and also accept a ribbon controller input. Of course, not at all cheap, and one would also need something like this in order to make use of it.

There was also an xbox "air guitar" type project being developed along similar lines (the link to which I seem to have misplaced) employing a Kinect sensor setup.

Goddard

Re: Alt Guitar Volume/Envelope Controllers new [Re: Goddard]
      #1023059 - 07/12/12 05:59 PM
A follow-up to my earlier comment about my not getting on with the Hot Hand ring.

According to the keyboardist who's using their midi exp pedal, the ringamajiggy can apparently also be worn on a headband or hat or on the foot, not just on the hand (Doh!). So will give it another try that way next chance.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#1023197 - 08/12/12 04:22 PM
I suppose I'd prefer it to be analogue, but maybe that's not justified. Does the MIDI controlled volume/wah sound or feel different?

I suppose there are alinearities in any analogue controller that wouldn't exist with MIDI. The guitar knob volume doesn't feel like a steady up/down, but I'm not sure if that's my imagination.

If true, that might be undesireable logically, yet maybe in practice humans quite like these alinearities (?)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3429

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media