Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
SafeandSound Masteri...

Loc: London UK
A new guitar with perfect tone for me.... : )
      #1026094 - 28/12/12 02:22 PM
I went into guitar shop and sat and played a few yesterday.. my mental criteria (along with the Mrs who is sharing it) was... I did not care what the guitar looks like, it must have great tone, it must not cost more than £300.00, no tremolo required, it must be fairly lightweight and be robust in the tuning stakes. Thinking I would come out with something quite anemic (sacrificing looks for sound) I had no idea I would come out with this, lol:

A tad odd shape especially considering the wife plays folk style music.(I guess looks is why it has been in the shop forever, but I could hear through those looks) The Mrs digs the shape of it herself. It sounds incredible and cost £230.00 You just cannot get a feel for a guitar (nor measure how good or bad a guitar sounds online)

A LTD ESP EX-250, I took my Boss GT-6 down the shop and set it up cause I know it well and obviously my presets are in there which have a big bearing on the sound. When I played this with distorted presets it retained a creamy and smooth sound with no extra anharmonic hash/fuzz/crust, just smooth and controlled distortion and presence, really pleased with the sound. It also has a nice feel and action, well worth the visit to the shop.

It fit the bill we were looking for exactly. It is surprisingly comfortable as well despite the angular body.

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering studio

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Gadget13769

Loc: West Midlands
Re: A new guitar with perfect tone for me.... : ) new [Re: SafeandSound Mastering]
      #1026159 - 28/12/12 10:49 PM
Let's hear it then!...

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: A new guitar with perfect tone for me.... : ) new [Re: SafeandSound Mastering]
      #1026162 - 28/12/12 10:55 PM
Quote SafeandSound Mastering:

...but I could hear through those looks... ...comfortable as well despite the angular body.

Could be my wife talking.

--------------------
Onward and outward

SafeandSound Masteri...

Re: A new guitar with perfect tone for me.... : ) new [Re: Gadget13769]
      #1026250 - 29/12/12 04:15 PM
When time permits will sort out a clip, lol shuffle.

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
      #1026304 - 29/12/12 10:37 PM
Your thread sort of reminds of the time I bought my first decent guitar. I had been playing guitar for some time, I primarily learnt so as well as writing lyrics I could write the music as well for the band I was in at the time. But had got to the point where I thought my playing deserved a better instrument.

So I went to a music shop, ABC Music if I remember correctly, they don’t exist now. I said to the guy in the shop, I want to buy a guitar. He said how much then, I said I don’t mind if the guitar is right for me. We went though an hour where he passed me guitar upon guitar, I played each for 15 seconds or so and said yes or no. We got a short list. I played again, then said this is the one. I tried not to look at the guitars.

In the end I ended up buying one of the first batch of Fender Strat Plus guitars in the UK. I still have the guitar today and it still fits me like a glove. I was more interested in feel than the name on the head stock, but ended with a name cause it felt right.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
Re: A new guitar with perfect tone for me.... : ) new [Re: Madman_Greg]
      #1026309 - 29/12/12 11:06 PM
Quote Madman_Greg:

... reminds of the time I bought my first decent guitar... I went to a music shop... said to the guy in the shop, I want to buy a guitar. He said how much then, I said I don’t mind if the guitar is right for me. We went though an hour where he passed me guitar upon guitar, I played each for 15 seconds or so... I tried not to look at the guitars... I still have the guitar today and it still fits me like a glove. I was more interested in feel than the name on the head stock... it felt right.

Very similar experience to my own, except I had stupidly gone in with a more pre-conceived idea of what I wanted. Which was a Gibson Les Paul. That much I was certain of. The Les Paul's were being passed to me at a similar rate and I had stopped looking at them early on, and just listening to and feeling them by the time 'the one' was passed into my hands. And I instantly knew it was 'the one'. It was like this warm feeling came over me. Corny I know but that's what happened!!! Except when I opened my eyes it was a custom built thinline telecaster... Which remains one of my most cherished guitars and is seriously not for sale.

Not a day I'll ever forget. And from that day on I have never bought any guitar with a preconceived idea of what I wanted. I try to let them find me instead.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

SafeandSound Masteri...

#1026404 - 30/12/12 08:19 PM
Great replies guys, well that pointy bit has already been bonked ones or twice. Almost guaranteed to happen. I am by no means a great guitarist but adore soloing away to backings in the main just to enjoy it. Yes, I aim high, lol. That reminds me... (incidentally one of my backings I like is shoot high, aim low by YES) Not every musicians game plan to be a widdler over tracks, but it really is about having as much fun as I can with it and not being too hard on myself. I like a bit of prog/psychedelic rock, though I am very discerning, not any old prog.

cheers and have a good un' tommorrow night !

SafeandSound Mastering
SAS mastering services online

ProximityProduction

Loc: Liverpool
Re: A new guitar with perfect tone for me.... : ) new [Re: Madman_Greg]
      #1026411 - 30/12/12 09:51 PM
Quote Madman_Greg:

In the end I ended up buying one of the first batch of Fender Strat Plus guitars in the UK. I still have the guitar today and it still fits me like a glove.

Had the same experience with a Strat Plus, although this was a second hand one. Love it and I'd happily have my organs repossessed before anyone touches it...

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1026417 - 30/12/12 11:49 PM
That Explorer shape is a lot more comfortable and practical than first appearances might suggest. And ESP LTD's are under-rated instruments. All in all, looks like you found a nice tool

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

SafeandSound Masteri...

#1026654 - 01/01/13 09:44 PM
I agree and I was not aware it was an "explorer" shape. Problem is, as always getting time to play and practice in what already seems like a busy month ahead. But now the shape is actually growing on me as well, so a real bargain. I need to get a wall hanger though as despite having a decent stand that I can adjust the resting angle is a tad precarious.

SafeandSound Mastering
Click to visit site

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ****
Thread views: 3079

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media