Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
thefruitfarmer

Loc: Kent UK
Transistor Combo.
      #1028360 - 13/01/13 09:59 AM
I am looking for a gig worthy guitar combo. Something loud enough to keep up with a drummer.

I don't like modelling amps and valves are too expensive, heavy and fragile....I get a lot of my sound from pedals anyway.

I am looking for a 70's rocky sound, punk sound, with a good clean sound too. What I don't need is a metal voiced amp.

I had narrowed to down to a Hi-watt Maxwatt G100.

The shop had a Maxwatt g50 and a Peavey Bandit 112.

hiwatt G50 vid

I liked the sound of the G50, more of a British sound with a high gain squashed sound as well but it was a bit feeble in general when compared to the Peavey Bandit...

Peavey Bandit vid

I put the feebleness down to the Peavey having more power and I want to listen to the Hiwatt Maxwatt G100. But then the Bandit's big brother looks pretty good too..

Anyone recommend a good tranny amp?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: thefruitfarmer]
      #1028365 - 13/01/13 10:39 AM
Without hesitation - Roland JC-120.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

thefruitfarmer

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: The Elf]
      #1028368 - 13/01/13 11:15 AM
Quote The Elf:

Without hesitation - Roland JC-120.

Yes, one of the best for a clean and the chorus effect.

But they cost nearly a grand....

The Elf

#1028370 - 13/01/13 11:31 AM
Strewth!

I honestly didn't know they went for that kind of price. I only bought mine (an early 80s model from what I can tell) last year and got it for 350 quid!

--------------------

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1028380 - 13/01/13 01:23 PM
How about an old Sessionette 75 if you can find one?

And I see Roland JC120's on ebay regularly for much less than a grand. Four to 8 hundred is common, with occasional bargains to be had. Also look for the JC160 which is the 4x10 version and the slightly lower powered JC77.

But the Peavey Bandit is one of those 'old reliables', not always the best or the most glamorous, but it gets on with the job without any fuss. A tool for a working muso.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

tomdot

#1028399 - 13/01/13 04:09 PM
If you can find the old version of the Laney Linebacker 50 - absolutely fantastic. I would say any Laney amp is worth a shout.

I also very recently sold a Fender Princeton 65 DSP. It was a great amp - I gigged with it for years and years, it sounded lovely recorded and was so loud that they invented a new measurement of sound just for it.

Also, years ago I played a Yamaha modelling amp. Now I know you said you didnt want a modelling amp, however, this was incredibly good. I cant remember the model so it's not much help, but what I'm trying to say is if by modelling amp you mean Line 6, then there are much much better alternatives to their Spider range. The last time I played one it sounded flat and processed, whereas this Yamaha didn't!

OldManMeek

#1028405 - 13/01/13 05:08 PM
+1 for the sessionette 75 -it's a classic!

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1028411 - 13/01/13 05:24 PM
I have a Laney 50+50 Linebacker (on permanent loan to grandson) tis V loud.

Now I must not spam so I shall just say.....
ID 60

Dave.

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1028426 - 13/01/13 06:51 PM
Quote zenguitar:

How about an old Sessionette 75 if you can find one?

Isn't that the one Eric Clapton used at one point, miced up to the PA? But it was always hidden behind a wall of Orange amps and cabs because he had got into a sponsorship deal with Orange! Anyway I remember it was a very fine amp of its ilk. Also another +1 for the JC120 route.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1028436 - 13/01/13 08:57 PM
Quote zenguitar:

How about an old Sessionette 75 if you can

Nice amps. Back in the 80s I was in a band where we all had Session amps. I had a 410 bass and the two guitarists had a 75 and a smaller version (about 30w?). Great customer support.

cjed

#1028448 - 13/01/13 11:41 PM
Might be worth looking at the Roland Cube 80XL - I gigged with the slightly older Cube 60 for a couple of years. Don't bother with the effects (they're pretty poor), I just used it running clean with a Boss multi-effects (GT-3) for all the other sounds. What I really liked was the compactness and portability of it. Much easier to lug around than my previous gigging amp (Trace Elliot Super Tramp Twin).

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1028460 - 14/01/13 02:06 AM
I found the Sessionette a touch characterless, clanky with no crispness. The Roland Cube 60 on it's own was s bit dead but came to life with an Ibanez Tube Screamer in front of it because it had a midrange capacity missing on the Sessionette. The Cube also made an excellent fiddle monitor.

I got my JC120 as soon as I heard the stereo chorus. For a while I used it with a Peavey Classic (I think) valve combo on top of it (using a Boss Stereo Chorus as a splitter), a system I first witnessed at a Tansads gig. Dirty and clean at the same time, absolutely massive sound with some seriously freaky chorus possibilities.

The JC's surplus to requirements at the minute. Let me know if you're passing through the Northwest.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

thefruitfarmer

#1028484 - 14/01/13 09:26 AM
Plenty to choose from out there...

I remember those Sessionette amps and I have an award session JD-10 preamp to get that kind of sound when I want it. A friend had one in the 80's and 90's as his gigging amp. To my ears it sounded a bit harsh, but it suited his playing.

I have always fancied a Roland cube, I am only put off by the modelling aspect and I think it has too many features for what I want.

The Jazz Chorus, JC120, is the daddy of the clean amps and the chorus really is something special. I could go a lot worse than going second hand for one of them. It would depend on how it took the distortion pedals though as well.

I am keen to have a listen to the Peavey 212,

manufacturers info and video here, but not a good demo TBH

It has all the features I could want without being over complicated, footswitches to go between clean, crunch and hi-gain, and to turn the effects on and off, a spring reverb and an analogue chorus. It is very similar in layout to the JC-120. Peavey have been making this kind of amp for years and it probably sounds like the Bandit, with the same tube emulation. I would go and demo one out but there don't seem to be any in the shops in the south east, or even in London. Not much on the net about it either.

I need to go and have a listen to a few more together to get a better idea, all I really know at the moment is that I prefer the Peavey Bandit to the Hiwatt Maxwatt G50.

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #1028500 - 14/01/13 10:29 AM
Roland Cube 60. It has two channels, one with all the usual excellent valve models, AC30, marshall stack, Bassman, Twin etc etc and the other is pure clean JC120. I have one as well as my all-valve AC15 and it's brilliant. Loud, reliable, not too heavy for carrying about, line-out, tuner out, footswitches for channel, effect and reverb/delay. Marvellous.

Also check out old Yamaha combos. I have one from the seventies which I got when I couldn't afford an HH IC100 and it still works fine, look for the blue stripey ones or the black & white stripey ones from the eighties.

My son has the Hiwatt tranny 50 discusses above. He uses loads of pedals but it's not a bad basic sound. More tranny trying to sound like a clean valve amp than a pure tranny sound, though.

Here's the Roland: Roland Cube 60

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

shufflebeat

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: Huge Longjohns]
      #1028507 - 14/01/13 11:08 AM
Quote Huge Longjohns:

Here's the Roland: Roland Cube 60

Wanted:

Logical explanation why dinner will be porridge only for the next 6 months so Daddy/Loving Husband can have a nice new amp which might look like all the others but is, in fact unique and remarkably good value (no, I can't sell the others).

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

#1028759 - 15/01/13 04:51 PM
How about "I know it's £150 but it's second hand as they're discontinued now but think how much all these modelled amps would cost if I bought them individually, dear? When you think about it, I'm actually saving around three thousand quid!"

--------------------
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

C-Bro

#1028761 - 15/01/13 05:02 PM
I have got a 25 year old PCL transistor amp, which is nice.

The company still exists:

http://www.pcl-vintageamp.de/produkte.php?grp=1&id=3&la=en&r=0

brucie

#1028810 - 15/01/13 09:24 PM
Might be worth having a quick little google of the Tech 21 Trademark 60 combo. A 60 Watt 1 x12 combo, very light and sound great, especially the clean channel!

Good luck

Neil

--------------------
Neil S. Bruce - www.spencerbruce.com

mhaigh

Loc: Hockley, Essex
      #1028957 - 16/01/13 06:26 PM
can't understand the opposition to modelling amps; the Vox Valvetronix would be perfect for what you want...and everyone is recommending the Cube anyway!

--------------------
My metal music! My other music!

thefruitfarmer

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: mhaigh]
      #1028985 - 16/01/13 10:54 PM
Quote mhaigh:

can't understand the opposition to modelling amps; the Vox Valvetronix would be perfect for what you want...and everyone is recommending the Cube anyway!

It is a personal thing.

Going to have a look and a listen to a few in the morning.

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
      #1029050 - 17/01/13 11:43 AM
Quote mhaigh:

No doubt that modelling amps have come a very long. I've been using modelling of one kind or another in my home studio for the last 20 years (a real amp isn't a socially acceptable option even in a detached house). Live I've gone back and too between modelled and real amps.

If I was back playing original material and wanted 'my sound' I'd in all probability go with a valve combo and a few pedals. Quite apart from the sound just being able to tweak the sound (one control per function) would tip the balance. Playing in a pub / function band covering a range of material then modelling works fine for me.

I recently bought a POD HD500, which is great, but the big step forward was when I treated myself to an LD Maui 11 system for Christmas. Quite aside from the impact that it's had on vocal clarity for the first time I've been able to make use of the cab simulations in a live environment. The way that the sound spreads from this thing is also amazing. Previously I was using a Tech21 PE60 (for electric sounds) and a Vox AGA70 for acoustic. If you moved off axis with the PE60 (or if another band member walked in front) then you lost the sound. With the Maui it's like having your own personal monitor.

thefruitfarmer

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: Music Wolf]
      #1030229 - 24/01/13 07:48 PM
Ended up with a Peavey Bandit and a Carlsbro GLX150C....

The Bandit is a standard workhorse amp and everyone who has one says they are happy with theirs. It is loud and will hopefully do the job. I thought the tones on it were good, it seems to suit the way I play.

The Carlsbro was £50 because the reverb is not working, it sounds fatter than the Peavey (£80) but it is a bit of a gamble, it was sold as seen but if it dies on me I have two Celestion g12 speakers anyway out of the deal. The stereo chorus could be useful and I have a reverb pedal, so we shall see how it works out.

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
      #1030315 - 25/01/13 01:48 AM

Bit late to the party, and I know you are now sorted, but have a watch of this youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSmO-9OmcA

--------------------
Madman_Greg

thefruitfarmer

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: Madman_Greg]
      #1030357 - 25/01/13 10:08 AM
Quote Madman_Greg:

Bit late to the party, and I know you are now sorted, but have a watch of this youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBSmO-9OmcA

That is one boring video!

The Roland cubes are popular though. That Rob Chappers is a good player and seems to be used to demoing amps......towards the end he talks about how he has tweaked it and he is probably playing within the confines of the sound to make it sound good.

I wanted to demo a cube, but I could n't get out of Kent with the snow and I am happy with my Bandit for £80. I suspect that the modelled sounds will be "flat" to my ears and feel "unresponsive" to me. What I usually find with modellers is that they trick the ear for a while, especially in a band context, but eventually the maths fails to really recreate the full character of a valve or tranny amp...it seems to me like it reaches a point they sound like an empty shell, all the weight falls out of the sound. This is based on hearing bands use amps like Line 6 at gigs...

What I have not done is put really different types of amps next to one another in a demo room and compared them directly, which is what you would have to do to be sure for your self...

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

#1030373 - 25/01/13 11:44 AM
Quote:

I suspect that the modelled sounds will be "flat" to my ears and feel "unresponsive" to me. What I usually find with modellers is that they trick the ear for a while, especially in a band context, but eventually the maths fails to really recreate the full character of a valve or tranny amp...

Here's Seasick Steve with his guitar sounding flat and unresponsive through a Cube!

Seasick Cube!

--------------------

The Elf

#1030375 - 25/01/13 11:56 AM
Aaargh! Now I'm going to lose hours of my life going through all of this guy's Youtube content.

What a fantastic performer.

--------------------

Nico 3313

#1030379 - 25/01/13 12:10 PM
The OP mentions "a metal voiced amp" can anybody who suggested a JC-120 explain why?
The metal domes in the speakers?

--------------------
Preamps are Class A by default

thefruitfarmer

#1030384 - 25/01/13 12:25 PM
Quote Huge Longjohns:

Here's Seasick Steve with his guitar sounding flat and unresponsive through a Cube!

Seasick Cube!

Sounds great, but now listen to the dude playing through something that looks like a valve amp...

u toob vid

My gut feeling is that the amp is the amp that works for the player and it is quite possible to find the sweet spot with most amps and get something good out of most of them....

...amything beyond that is personal, IMO.

What I would to say to anyone thinking about getting a modeller amp is to try the thing next to a real valve amp and an analogue modeller before parting with your cash.....

Madman_Greg

#1030402 - 25/01/13 01:59 PM
Quote The Elf:

Aaargh! Now I'm going to lose hours of my life going through all of this guy's Youtube content.

Sorry Elf, he does youtube reviews for Andertons as well, always good recordings, as opposed to alot of stuff on youtube. So worth looking if you are researching gear.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

shufflebeat

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: Nico 3313]
      #1030404 - 25/01/13 02:03 PM
Quote Nico 3313:

The OP mentions "a metal voiced amp" can anybody who suggested a JC-120 explain why?

I take that to mean the OP is not looking for a heavy, bassy, no midrange, "scooped" Metallica type sound, i.e.sounds impressive when played in big, pentatonic riffs by young men with big hair/old men with no hair and car salesmen.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

shufflebeat

#1030405 - 25/01/13 02:05 PM
Quote The Elf:

Scene: Sheldon to Penny

"That's sarcasm, right?"

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

The Elf

Re: Transistor Combo. new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1030426 - 25/01/13 03:50 PM
No - the guy is brilliant! Amazing technique, but, more importantly, he speaks to the soul. Love it.

--------------------

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

#1030434 - 25/01/13 04:53 PM
Quote:

Sorry Elf, he does youtube reviews for Andertons as well,

I think (hope) Elf is referring to the clip of Seasick Steve I posted not the bloke with the silly headband from Andertons. Please tell me this is so, Elf!

--------------------

The Elf

#1030439 - 25/01/13 05:12 PM
Quote Huge Longjohns:

Quote:

Sorry Elf, he does youtube reviews for Andertons as well,

I think (hope) Elf is referring to the clip of Seasick Steve I posted not the bloke with the silly headband from Andertons. Please tell me this is so, Elf!

Bang on Mr Longjohns!

--------------------

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

#1030442 - 25/01/13 05:41 PM
Phew!

--------------------

shufflebeat

#1030447 - 25/01/13 06:33 PM
Quote Huge Longjohns:

Phew!

Phew!!

Not that the Andertons guy isn't a class act with stupendous hair and a sweet touch but...

Phew!!!

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

Madman_Greg

#1030465 - 25/01/13 08:27 PM

Seasick Steve (or C16 as someone I know once thought he was called ) is pretty good live, but the couple of CDs I have do not translate that well in my mind.

--------------------
Madman_Greg

DoItAgain

#1030474 - 25/01/13 09:20 PM
Quote thefruitfarmer:

That Rob Chappers is a good player

I went to him for a lesson a few years back. He completely ripped apart my vibrato technique. Couldn't wobble for days afterwards. He gave plenty of great advice though.

HTH.

mhaigh

Loc: Hockley, Essex
      #1030481 - 25/01/13 09:57 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

Quote Nico 3313:

I take that to mean the OP is not looking for a heavy, bassy, no midrange, "scooped" Metallica type sound, i.e.sounds impressive when played in big, pentatonic riffs by young men with big hair/old men with no hair and car salesmen.

true in 1985.
unfortunately now metal-tuned amp means playing da djent on a 7/8 string guitars whilst demonstrating insane technique to produce ultimately tuneless but frightfully complex riffs involving lots of sycopated open string interrupted by tapped-hammered phrygian/mixolydian mode licks undernath a barrage of mid-high screams....;-)

--------------------
My metal music! My other music!

shufflebeat

#1030493 - 25/01/13 11:08 PM
Quote mhaigh:

Quote shufflebeat:

Quote Nico 3313:

true in 1985.
unfortunately now metal-tuned amp means playing da djent on a 7/8 string guitars whilst demonstrating insane technique to produce ultimately tuneless but frightfully complex riffs involving lots of sycopated open string interrupted by tapped-hammered phrygian/mixolydian mode licks undernath a barrage of mid-high screams....;-)

(Resigned sigh) - It's like #2 son was in the room.

Anyway, true and current as your interpretation may be I don't think that's what the OP was talking about.

I may be wrong.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 12459

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media