Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
paul007

Pedal Board Advice
      #1032039 - 04/02/13 02:00 PM
Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a new Pedal Board, I have been shopping around and am looking for companies in the UK who can provide me with a custom build (Like Trailer Trash but in the UK) I have found the Sgt Pepper Boards but am looking for any other suggestions on companies I could check out.

I am also pricing up my cables etc and need to know where I can buy custom length cables for powering pedals from a VoodooLabs Power Supply. As the board is going to be quite large, I need options on length and I can't find anywhere that can help me. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
4TrackMadman

Re: Pedal Board Advice new [Re: paul007]
      #1032457 - 06/02/13 07:37 PM
Depending on how many pedals it might be cheaper for you to buy bulk 1/4 cable and solder your own Neutrik connectors onto them, unless we are talking just a few effects in which case you might go with a modular cabling system like George L's where you cut your own length and screw on solderless 1/4 plugs.

If I were you I'd probably make a cardboard cutout of each effect and then arrange them around and see how much space I'd need. Something like this come be also done in a graphics program (something like Corel Draw, Photoshop or even freeware graphics editor like Gimp) as long as you keep the right proportions, you can draw squares for the effects and shuffle them around then you'd see how much length you'd need. Also keep in mind sizes of car trunks, etc. that you'd haul the stuff in so you're within limits. For example, m last car purchase was 30% based on whether it will fit a 4x12 Marshall 1960 cab in the trunk.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: Pedal Board Advice new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1032555 - 07/02/13 12:21 PM
Quote 4TrackMadman:

Also keep in mind sizes of car trunks, etc. that you'd haul the stuff in so you're within limits. For example, m last car purchase was 30% based on whether it will fit a 4x12 Marshall 1960 cab in the trunk.

Absolutely. I bought an XL flight case which was on offer. Great price, built like a tank, holds all my gear - couldn't get it in the boot of my car along with my other gear (ended up on the back seat so not a dissaster but it did mean that it was on show).

Huge Longjohns
long-serving member

Loc: Where the black rocks stand gu...
      #1032766 - 08/02/13 04:57 PM
Have you tried these chaps: FX Power SUpplies

and/or these chaps: JOhnny Shredfreak

Both have loads of stuff for pedal boards etc

--------------------
"The man who questions opinions is wise. The man who quarrels with facts is a fool." Frank Garbutt, inventor & industrialist

SparkyG

#1034201 - 19/02/13 10:55 PM
Speak to James at diago, he did a custom build 2 layer board for me.. Top bloke great service.

SparkyG

#1034202 - 19/02/13 10:56 PM
Cable wise I imported all mine from lava cable. I tried George L,s and they kept letting me down.

Jonny DiBergi

#1035411 - 27/02/13 02:17 PM
Yes, would steer clear of the George Ls. Lava Cable is generally considered better, and having made up a board myself with Lavas they're good to work with, very easy and reliable IF you make the cables carefully and everything's properly stuck down.

For power, you might just be best off buying this, and using the cables that come with it. You get a selection of different length cables with it, from something like 8" to a couple of feet.

If you want it done real nice check out thegigrig.com, they do some great work and they do a range of quality power supplies. They use generally use Lavas too.

HTH!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2934

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media