Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Matthew Seed

Re covering Boogie head & Cab ???
      #1034211 - 20/02/13 12:34 AM
I have a Mesa Boogie express plus50 head and vertical 2x12 all in standard black finish. I want to re finish mine to have cream toltex cover all over and tan grill cloth but I'm not sure how too go about it. a friend of mine said you can actually get very good vinyl paint so I could paint the black toltex cream......not sure about this myself but just wondered what knowledge anyone had on the subject. I'd love to get it re covered and new grill cloth and corners then I'm sorted but not sure how easy this would be......does the toltex come off easy or is it super stuck down? The link I have attached is my head but custom finished by Boogie....this is how I would like it to look, Ideally I like to find a pro to do this for me.....does anyone know anybody who could do this for me?:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=746

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
artzmusic

Loc: usa
Re: Re covering Boogie head & Cab ??? new [Re: Matthew Seed]
      #1034216 - 20/02/13 02:31 AM
I recalled watching this video on that very subject:

Recovering amp head

Rick

Matthew Seed

#1034237 - 20/02/13 09:03 AM
Hi Rick

Yeah i have seen that vid too. The only thing is that his head was quite old and that Toltex came straight off, not sure if a brand new Boogie would be so easy. The other thing is that his head was square edges all round, the Express Plus Boogie head has an angled bit on the front at the top which would be a nightmare in un-skilled hands i.e mine !!!!

Thats why i would like a pro to step in really.
Matthew

zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
      #1034318 - 20/02/13 01:48 PM
Should be fairly easy to peel off the old leathercloth. And recovering is relatively straight forward. The hard part is getting the corners and stuff really neat and professional.

I don't know anyone I can recommend that offers a recovering service. But if I was looking I would probably start by giving Matamp a call. They make their own cabs, cover them, and do restorations. They also make very fine amps so taking an amp for recovering is an ideal excuse to visit the factory and try some out

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1328

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media