Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Moroccomoose

Loc: Northampton
Vintage WEM Warrior/Marshal 1974x
      #1039891 - 26/03/13 12:10 PM
Hello vintage gear boffins, I was hoping you could help me understand my old amp better!

I own a WEM Warrior, (Crème tolex and gold grille with black triangles either side)which apparently has the same circuitry as the famous Dominator and also, I believe, the same or very similar to the Marshall 1974x.

My amp, and indeed the others I mentioned, have 2 channels each with 2 inputs. Channel one having a simple volume and single tone control and Channel 2 having a tremolo circuit has speed and depth controls as well as the volume and single tone control.

I never really knew why each channel had 2 inputs, but in reading the marshal 1974x manual, it says one of the channel 2 inputs is a high sensitivity so slightly brighter. which is true on my amp. It however says the channel 1 inputs are identical. (I need to go back to my WEM to see if this is true when I listen to it, but will post further when I do)

What, therefore, is the purpose of the 2nd input on channel 1?

The marshal manual goes on to explaining that by using a short patch cable, linking channel 2 to channel 1 I can get further tonal variety by blending the channels.

Can I safely do the same trick on my WEM?
Does this mean I can us it as a kind of parallel FX loop?

I would quite like to experiment a bit with the signal chain , but would really prefer not to blow anything up!!

cheers

Stu.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
zenguitarModerator

Loc: Devon
Re: Vintage WEM Warrior/Marshal 1974x new [Re: Moroccomoose]
      #1039920 - 26/03/13 02:18 PM
In the early days of popular beat combos it was normal for the whole band to use a single amplifier. And volumes were a lot lower too.

So that little amp could have bass, two guitars, and a transistor organ all plugged in together. Or three guitars, an accordion, or whatever.

Two channels meant that there was some flexibility, bass and rhythm guitar on the normal channel, lead guitar and keyboard in the lead channel, for example. And the earliest FX pedals, like treble boosters, were to some extent a way to get around those limitations.

When you look at the inputs on each channel you will find that they are wired in parallel. And that is entirely for practical reasons, whether you use one input, the other, or both together, it WILL work. There are downsides when you plug two instruments into one channel, each guitar will place a load on the other so changing the volume, tone, and pick-ups on one can change the sound of the other. Really just the same as using both pick-ups on a Les Paul which can do unexpected things when you start juggling the controls.

A useful by-product of the pairs of inputs being wired in parallel was that they also functioned as a passive signal splitter. And once those inputs were freed up by everyone getting their own amps it became possible (and often desirable) to drive both pre-amp channels together for more tone options.

It works great on the WEM and the 1974x (a lot of people would claim it is EXACTLY what makes the Marshall a classic). But on an AC30 it is amazing. Not only do you have 3 channels to play with instead of 2, but it makes the Vib/Trem channel a lot more useful because you can mix it in rather than just on/off.

And there is another hidden pleasure with cross-linking amp channels like this. You have a spare input socket left over, perfect for linking into a second amp... and then a 3rd, and then a 4th

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Moroccomoose

#1039940 - 26/03/13 03:56 PM
Thanks Zen, as always, thorough and informative answers! Many thanks. I will let you know how I get on. Just need to wait for the missus to take the baby out for a bit!! :-)

mick.n

Loc: It's grim up north.
Re: Vintage WEM Warrior/Marshal 1974x new [Re: zenguitar]
      #1040003 - 26/03/13 08:05 PM
Quote zenguitar:

In the early days of popular beat combos it was normal for the whole band to use a single amplifier. And volumes were a lot lower too.

I remember those days well (and with affection). In 1969 when i was putting my first band together i had a watkins dominator
that we used for guitar & bass at the same time.

It may just be sentimental\days gone by stuff but that amp sounded gorgeous....especially the tremelo.

Moroccomoose

#1042064 - 08/04/13 02:49 PM
So with the missus and boy away for a couple of days, I had some loud amp time

On my WEM, I found that I could rig up the parallel channel thing Zen described if the instrument was connected to the trem' channel and patched to the non trem channel. Interestingly, it did not work the other way around, suggesting that channel 1 is not wired in parallel.

I also had a lot of fun trying variations on the 4 cable method with my Tonelab floor pedal, creating a sort of parallel FX loop, again works quite nice making various phase and vibrato type effects much more subtle. Blending the harsher distortion models of the tonelab with the just breaking up natural tone of the WEM made for some lovely tones just breaking into overdriven.

Stu.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 2052

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media