Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
WADEAL

Rack mains
      #1040222 - 27/03/13 11:28 PM
I have a 4u effects rack and at the back I have a 6 way rackmount mains board. The mains board has a typical 13 amp plug and 3m of cable trailing. The plug rattles about in the back of the rack and has a tendency to dislodge jacks in transit. I can't simply plug it into the board, as all of the sockets are in use by effects and wireless units.

Simple question. Can I safely cut the cord to about 3 or 4 inches in length and replace the plug with one of those male IEC kettle type adaptors, so that I can then wire up and plug in a much longer lead with a male adaptor that can sit safely in my box of leads?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Exalted Wombat

Re: Rack mains new [Re: WADEAL]
      #1040226 - 28/03/13 12:11 AM
Quote WADEAL:

I have a 4u effects rack and at the back I have a 6 way rackmount mains board. The mains board has a typical 13 amp plug and 3m of cable trailing. The plug rattles about in the back of the rack and has a tendency to dislodge jacks in transit. I can't simply plug it into the board, as all of the sockets are in use by effects and wireless units.

Simple question. Can I safely cut the cord to about 3 or 4 inches in length and replace the plug with one of those male IEC kettle type adaptors, so that I can then wire up and plug in a much longer lead with a male adaptor that can sit safely in my box of leads?

I suppose so. I can't see the different maximum ratings (10 amps for the IEC connector) being an issue in this case. I don't imagine you had a 13 amp fuse in the existing 13 amp plug anyway?

It gives you an additional point of potential failure though. Is it beyond your ingenuity to construct a method of securing or parking the mains plug within the rack?

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1040292 - 28/03/13 11:05 AM
Quote WADEAL:

Can I safely cut the cord to about 3 or 4 inches in length and replace the plug with one of those male IEC kettle type adaptors

It would be a perfectly acceptable solution... (bearing in mind the 10A max rating for IEC connectors -- althogh tehre are some 6A versions around too!) ... but whether you can do it safely or not, I couldn't say!

If you are confident of how to do it safely, then sure... but messing with mains connectors obviously has potentially lethal outcomes so only do this if you are 100% confident of your abilities, have the requisite skills and tools, and understand the risks. In practice, it really isn't rocket science but we must be careful and issue the appropriate warnings!

And it isn't a 'kettle type adapter' -- 'kettle plugs' are actually known as C15 plugs within the IEC 60320 connector family. They have a slot along the lower edge that mates with a corresponding ridge in the C16 chassis socket and are rated for high temperature applications like kettles. The ridge prevents the use of standard C13 plugs which is what we typically use with audio equipment. We don't use 'kettle plugs'

The in-line or chassis connector you need is a C14-type.

However, it might also be worth considering using a more secure, latching mains connector, like the excellent Neutrik Powercon. You could either use a cable mounting inlet type (NAC3MX), or fit a chassis inlet (NAC3MPX) to the flightcase itself somewhere (you'll need to protect the back of the connector with insulation in some way of course). The outlet connector to go on the mains power supply cable is an NAC3FX.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1040300 - 28/03/13 12:16 PM
Quote:

However, it might also be worth considering using a more secure, latching mains connector, like the excellent Neutrik Powercon.

Slightly double edged one, this. Apart from the technical reasons why this is an excellent suggestion it also avoids the possibility of someone else pocketing it as theirs as is common. However, if and when yours does go walkabout it is not always easy to get your hand on another one in a hurry.

You could always just fix a piece of string or Velcro strap the inside of the case and tie the bugger down.

--------------------
Onward and outward

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Rack mains new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1040302 - 28/03/13 12:33 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

However, if and when yours does go walkabout it is not always easy to get your hand on another one in a hurry.

That's a very fair point, and I've often heard the same said about Speakon cables too... and that's why I suggested considering converting to Powercon rather than an outright recommendation as a solution.

Obviously, it would be unwise to have only one Powercon mains lead in the rig, and it might make more sense if you decide to adopt this connector format throughout the system (if budget and practicality allow).

IECs have become ubiquitous and that has the advantage of low cost and convenience, obviously, but for live sound work the lack of latching security is often a serious concern, as is the variation of fuse values and cable current rating found in 'standard' IEC mains cables, and the ease with which IEC cables go walkabout.

I do like Powercons -- they offer a very well designed solution that is technically far superior to IECs -- but I can also recognise the expense and 'non-standard' issues. However, by continuing to encourage their use perhaps one day they will become as ubiquitous as the horrible IEC! It's working for Speakons

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Rack mains new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1040303 - 28/03/13 12:37 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

You could always just fix a piece of string or Velcro strap the inside of the case and tie the bugger down.

The simplest solutions are always the best!

H

--------------------

Exalted Wombat

Re: Rack mains new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1040336 - 28/03/13 04:38 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

However, it might also be worth considering using a more secure, latching mains connector, like the excellent Neutrik Powercon. You could either use a cable mounting inlet type (NAC3MX), or fit a chassis inlet (NAC3MPX) to the flightcase itself somewhere (you'll need to protect the back of the connector with insulation in some way of course). The outlet connector to go on the mains power supply cable is an NAC3FX.

H

I strongly advise against making yourself reliant on one non:-) standard cable! You can always scrounge an IEC mains cable or a 13amp extension.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1040399 - 29/03/13 08:31 AM
http://www.comms-express.com/products/iec-lock-c13-female-ie...

I did not know there was a latching version of the IEC mains connector until a couple of weeks ago when I read about it in a CPC flyer but cannot now find them on their site!

You can also get IEC conns' in white which might make it more visible if it walks off!

I too have a horror of "odd", hard to source connectors having growed up with 7 different mains outlets!
(and "horrible" to you they might be Hugh but they are infinitely prefferable to fixed mains leads! The only other viable alternative)
Dave.

Edited by ef37a (29/03/13 08:35 AM)

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Rack mains new [Re: ef37a]
      #1040407 - 29/03/13 10:49 AM
Quote ef37a:

I did not know there was a latching version of the IEC mains connector

Yes, it's been around for several years now. I first came across it in the CANFORD catalogue five or more years ago.

They do latch very securely in standard sockets but it's not an ideal solution for me.... but then there probably isn't a perfect solution anyway! There are certainly many applications where a locking IEC is a good solution, and I do use them on racked equipment where there is no routine requirement to disconnect the internal mains distribution. However:

1. There are no DIY re-wirable versions -- you have to buy them moulded on to pre-cut cables or extensions.

2. You can't release them in high-density power distribution racks without a special tool.

3. Depending on the orientation of the IEC inlet, the fact that it's a latching connector isn't obvious as the release button can be hidden underneath.

4. Few people expect to see a latching IEC connector and so just keep tugging harder and harder at the thing until something breaks! (yes, it has happened!)

So where you have equipment with fixed wiring where a locking IEC is a good idea to prevent accidental disconnection (which is really only in portable, flight-cased equipment or in OB trucks), locking IECs are worth considering. However, for cable extensions and power inlets, etc I don't use them at all -- I prefer the powercon (or the blue 60309 plugs). At least the Powercon connector and 60309 are strange enough to most people that they ask how to disconnect them, instead of just yanking hard on a plug they expect to release easily!

H

--------------------

ef37a

Re: Rack mains new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1040410 - 29/03/13 11:18 AM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote ef37a:

I did not know there was a latching version of the IEC mains connector

Yes, it's been around for several years now. I first came across it in the CANFORD catalogue five or more years ago.

They do latch very securely in standard sockets but it's not an ideal solution for me.... but then there probably isn't a perfect solution anyway! There are certainly many applications where a locking IEC is a good solution, and I do use them on racked equipment where there is no routine requirement to disconnect the internal mains distribution. However:

1. There are no DIY re-wirable versions -- you have to buy them moulded on to pre-cut cables or extensions.

2. You can't release them in high-density power distribution racks without a special tool.

3. Depending on the orientation of the IEC inlet, the fact that it's a latching connector isn't obvious as the release button can be hidden underneath.

4. Few people expect to see a latching IEC connector and so just keep tugging harder and harder at the thing until something breaks! (yes, it has happened!)

So where you have equipment with fixed wiring where a locking IEC is a good idea to prevent accidental disconnection (which is really only in portable, flight-cased equipment or in OB trucks), locking IECs are worth considering. However, for cable extensions and power inlets, etc I don't use them at all -- I prefer the powercon (or the blue 60309 plugs). At least the Powercon connector and 60309 are strange enough to most people that they ask how to disconnect them, instead of just yanking hard on a plug they expect to release easily!

H

O...K. The white ones are rewirable tho! D.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1040460 - 29/03/13 06:51 PM
At the risk of causing a riot, one thing I hate to see (with a few notable exceptions) is any from of captive electrical connector.

I want ones with a straight profile that will pull out cleanly if snagged, and I speak from bitter experience. The right angle entry to 13A plugs are a case in point. They tend to be quite brittle (as are the wall sockets) and I've lost count of the number of times in the 'old' days I've gone to a house to find the TV plug held together with selotape and the wires hanging out the back. To say nothing of wall sockets with lumps missing from around the live or neutral holes - or the earth pin stuck in place.

A lot of machinery for magazine production is in modular form. These are quite heavy lumps - trundleable rather than portable - and are daisy-chained to perform the required sequence of glue/stitch/crease/cut. The cables usually carry 3 phase power along with a bunch of control wires. Traditionally all the wires are the same colour (usually black). These have nice solid, latching, 64 way 'Harting' connectors. The machine operators have a habit of forgetting to unplug them before moving the modules, which can develop quite a bit of momentum before the slack is taken up.

Need I say more?

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Rack mains new [Re: ef37a]
      #1040469 - 29/03/13 08:12 PM
Quote ef37a:

O...K. The white ones are rewirable tho! D.

There are lots of rewirable IEC plugs, but I've not found any rewirable locking ones. Are these white ones the locking type ?

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

Re: Rack mains new [Re: Folderol]
      #1040470 - 29/03/13 08:15 PM
Quote Folderol:

Need I say more?

Most jobs require a certain level of competence!

Seriously, though, it is important that we always place and arrange cables to remove any trip or snag risks.
Like you, I don't advocate using locking connectors everywhere, only where there is a risk of them falling out through vibration or shocks etc.

H

--------------------

ef37a

#1040474 - 29/03/13 09:20 PM
Hugh,No I don't think the white ones are locking but are "rarer and visible".

Will. Could you not use chain or steel cables to take the strain off the electrics?

Dave.

Folderol

Loc: Rochester, UK
      #1040485 - 29/03/13 10:52 PM
Evenin' Dave
Unfortunately this is not practical. It is manufacturer's spec. kit and the customers would not pay for modifications. Besides, the machine operators are not highly paid so have a commensurate interest in the well being of the equipment

P.S.
They'd only detach the wire/chain anyway.

--------------------
It wasn't me!
(Well, actually, it probably was)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3647

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media