Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
kinglouis

Taylor 615ce
      #1045904 - 30/04/13 02:21 PM
Hi All,

I've been offered this taylor at a good knock-down price from an in-law; whilst I'm a pretty proficient guitarist I don't know a vast amount about acoustics. I was looking to upgrade to an acoustic that records beautifully in most styles (I record a lot of music for tv in pretty much any genre) and gigs well (acoustic guitar/jazz vox duo). Is this a good all-round guitar?

Having played it a bit in the past it has a cracking action and a lovely tone but I was hoping for some thoughts from them wot know better. Is it a good general work-horse?

Many thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
RitchieM

Loc: Skelmersdale, Lancashire
Re: Taylor 615ce new [Re: kinglouis]
      #1045926 - 30/04/13 03:03 PM
Buy buy buy!!!!

Never played a 614, but I own a 314ce ltd, a 355 12 string and have played a 514.

Oh, and my sons middle name is Taylor, and it's NOT because of that clown from Twilight!

They are the best.

--------------------
Engineering Surveyor and Musician Pretty Vegas Northwest Function and Wedding Band
Wedding Band Blog

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
      #1045992 - 30/04/13 08:41 PM
Taylors are good pieces of kit in general, then it's down to your preferences and your fingers.
Since it's an in-law, can't you just try it? If it sounds right and feels right and your random checks on ebay confirm it's a good price.. what's to think about? :-) Worst case, you resell it.

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Bazza

Loc: County Durham
      #1046007 - 30/04/13 09:45 PM
Nice guitars. Mine has quite a wide neck and cuts through a mix very well.

Check ebay for prices. I would describe £1500 or less as knock down, but as always DYOR.

Bazza

--------------------
This time next week, who'll give a sh*t
http://www.podcastrevision.co.uk

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
Re: Taylor 615ce new [Re: Bazza]
      #1046013 - 30/04/13 11:26 PM
My rule of thumb for evaluating acoustic guitars for recording is as follows. Which may or may not be correct – no science behind this at all? Just my thoughts really.

This is only an indicator really, its not flawless.

There is no substitute for putting the guitar in front of a mic and hitting the red button, in a known acoustic environment.

1) Play a chord and mute it, pop your lugs close the sound hole and listen to the amount of reverb/sound decay and the time it takes to disapate.
2) Give the guitar some serious strumming and then go really mad (strumming wise). Listen to how the guitar naturally compresses the sound. Or if you end up with mush

--------------------
Madman_Greg

RitchieM

#1046034 - 01/05/13 07:09 AM
I think you generally know when you hold a guitar if its for you, especially with acoustics.

When plugged in, I have always found Taylor's to be quite bright and forward sounding, but that can be sorted with a simply EQ if necessary. Does the one on offer have the Fishman system (traditional type eq) or the Expression system (3 small rotary controls)? Both mine have the older system and perform wonderfully!

--------------------
Engineering Surveyor and Musician Pretty Vegas Northwest Function and Wedding Band
Wedding Band Blog

kinglouis

#1046222 - 02/05/13 08:03 AM
CS70 - absolutely. Couldn't agree more, I think it is a no-brainer.

Greg - nice test, will certainly give it a pop, thank you!

RitchieM, its the Expression system which I hear good things about but haven't tried personally.

Bazza - thanks for ballpark, checked it and they're going even cheaper! That might have saved me some £s...

RitchieM

#1046223 - 02/05/13 08:20 AM
Hold it, 1 strum, that is my usual test. You know if a guitar is for you. I just know that every Taylor I have ever played, including the small 3/4 I played on Saturday in PMT just seems to "fit" me. Never had that with any other make, acoustic or electric.

And I always use Elxir's on mine too.

--------------------
Wedding Band Blog

Urthlupe

Loc: West Midlands, UK
      #1046508 - 03/05/13 09:33 PM
My advice would be as already mentioned, try the guitar on mic before you buy.

I have found over the years that acoustic guitars can sound quite different on mic than they do to the player. I would put a 600 series Taylor I have here in that category. The sound grabs me instantly when I play it, but I find it hard to capture, particularly with a single close mic.

Loopy

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1886

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media