Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Chimera

Loc: Wirral
power amp/pa or powered speakers?
      #1058943 - 23/07/13 10:23 PM
I'm running a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18 into a pod HD pro which has lots of lovely stereo reverbs in the fx loop. Aaahhh reverb!

My current setup has the dry H and K signal into a cab then the reverb going out to a set of Logitech z2300 thx speakers. These are a big subwoofer with two smaller satellites.

I want to upgrade and wanted any advice on pa's, power amps, powered monitors. If possible, I'd like to be able to drive the guitar cab and two stereo speakers from the one source. Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hewesy

Re: power amp/pa or powered speakers? new [Re: Chimera]
      #1059026 - 24/07/13 11:32 AM
What are you looking to upgrade? If you were keeping the H&K and the Pod then you could simply run the silent DI from the H&K into one channel of a mixer, L&R from the POD into Channels 2&3 then out to two PA speakers, powered or via an amp. Make a tidy rack solution. You might have to comprimise slightly on stereo depending on the room you set up in (is this a live rig?).

But that does depend on if you are happy with your guitar sound through PA speakers using the sims or not though.

Otherwise, you could run the H&K to a guitar cab, then the POD via a power amp to two guitar cabs - say a pair of 1x12's. Lots of folks used those Marshall 1x12 with the gold celestions for this back in the day, if they still make them. Give you the chance to use L Centre R arrangement for the cabs too.

What don't you like at present to make a change?

Hewesy

Chimera

Re: power amp/pa or powered speakers? new [Re: Hewesy]
      #1059082 - 24/07/13 05:43 PM
A mixer would probably help matters. I'm currently running the red box out into the Pod then out to a Steinberg ur22. The z2300s are connected up to the phones out on the Steinberg. I wanted to upgrade the z2300s and also have the guitar outputting through guitar cabs and full range speakers.

I did have a look at Samson sx amps and looking at the PDF and the 5 post binding (?) Wondered if I could rewire my 2x12 into two speakers giving me 4x8 omega outputs. Left monitor, left cab, right cab, right monitor. But that setup wouldn't allow me to vary the monitor levels to cab levels.

Confused? I am

I want a setup so I can play and record but also so I can use the setup for gigs.

Is using a mixer and small pa the easiest soln?

4TrackMadman

#1059141 - 25/07/13 06:41 AM
Not sure what you're getting out of the two. My impression that probably the POD modeling sounds a bit shabby and a real amp is nicer (been there, and it is), but you still want the fx so you run the POD strictly for fx.

Am I missing something or can't you run the POD through the fx loop of the amp and switch to a stereo rig (say 2 cabs with 2x12 each, or one 4x12 cab that can run 2 mono inputs) and just dump the whole PA speaker setup.

Another way to do it is via stereo PA speaker setup and use the amp strictly as a distortion/gain box/preamp tybe. Not sure about this model but the fx send or maybe line out speaker emulated might take care of it. If it has tubes - consult the manual, you might need speaker load. In that case I remember reading about a cabinet load box here somewhere on this site which would be inserted after the amp so you can record or run direct. Personally if that is the need, I'd rather dump the amp and live with the modeler or get one of the HK preamp boxes, such as the Tubeman or Tubeman II.

Not sure on the POD but might be able to do 4 cable setup (putting the amp in the POD's fx loop) but might be worht looking at, in that case if you want stereo then you'd have to go with guitar speakers.
http://www.thetonechef.com/how-to-hook-up-your-m13-using-the-4-cable-method/

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

Chimera

Re: power amp/pa or powered speakers? new [Re: 4TrackMadman]
      #1059178 - 25/07/13 11:51 AM
Yes you're right not entirely happy with the pod output on its own. ie With the h and k speaker out off. Tried 4cm and felt it sucked a lot of tone. Easiest solution would be to buy another h and k and use the fx loops of the two.

I'll try googling stereo guitar setups

4TrackMadman

#1059287 - 26/07/13 08:01 AM
Any particular reason why you're running stereo? I noticed when it comes to live it usually doesn't translate well unless you're traveling with a hired soundman.

--------------------
www.descentintomadness.com

Hewesy

#1059512 - 27/07/13 07:41 PM
Ok, something quick to try, instead of the DI to the pod, use the FX send.

This eliminates stacking amp Sims, and allows you to use a different amp sim for the pod.

The H&K then runs to its own cab as normal.

See if that helps.

Hewesy

Chimera

Re: power amp/pa or powered speakers? new [Re: Hewesy]
      #1059515 - 27/07/13 08:07 PM
Don't really want to get into the whole stereo/mono debate but I find it gets the creative juices going. So its more for my benefit than anyone else's.

I dont use sims on the pod with the HK just the amp. I really only keep the pod because I have a looper in the pod fx loop. By setting a parallel chain with the fx loop in one half with the looper, I can set a loop going and run it with a completely different set of effects to those on the solo guitar. I have a volume pedal fx on the pod at the front of the chain containing the fx loop for the looper. Once the loop is recorded I shut the vol pedal off and it shunts the melody through the other half of the parallel chain

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2139

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media