Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Imran500

I bought a Kemper!
      #1065343 - 07/09/13 10:45 AM
This thing actually made me feel emotional when I started playing it

The cleans are beautiful but what I've always been searching for with digital/ modelling units is the high gain sound and it's finally here. It's really a top piece of gear - where it comes into it own is layering guitar sounds - because you can really get big distorted guitars in this manner.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Gary_W

Re: I bought a Kemper! new [Re: Imran500]
      #1065350 - 07/09/13 11:17 AM
I am also a believer - I've had mine for a month and love it.

If you haven't already, go to The Amp Factory page. It's a commercial profile site but he has lots of freebies too if you look. The last ones he did were available if you 'liked' his Facebook page. One of those (a Fender Super) is nice enough to join Facebook for!!

Another 'must get' is the Morgan 20 from the rig exchange. Don't download it if you've got to be anywhere for a few hours - it'll make you late!

The only thing I don't like is the lack of a software editor or librarian. 'Something' is apparently coming and it can't come soon enough. I already have 980 profiles on the the thing and would like an easy way of renaming / sorting / mass deleting. There are 'fiddle factor' ways (the Kemper Forum is really friendly and good) but I've not QUITE resorted to those yet.

Jack Ruston

#1065352 - 07/09/13 11:40 AM
Cool. If anyone knows where to get a demo model please let me know.

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

Imran500

Re: I bought a Kemper! new [Re: Gary_W]
      #1065353 - 07/09/13 11:45 AM
Quote Gary_W:

I am also a believer - I've had mine for a month and love it.

If you haven't already, go to The Amp Factory page. It's a commercial profile site but he has lots of freebies too if you look. The last ones he did were available if you 'liked' his Facebook page. One of those (a Fender Super) is nice enough to join Facebook for!!

Another 'must get' is the Morgan 20 from the rig exchange. Don't download it if you've got to be anywhere for a few hours - it'll make you late!

The only thing I don't like is the lack of a software editor or librarian. 'Something' is apparently coming and it can't come soon enough. I already have 980 profiles on the the thing and would like an easy way of renaming / sorting / mass deleting. There are 'fiddle factor' ways (the Kemper Forum is really friendly and good) but I've not QUITE resorted to those yet.

I've spent a good few hours just playing the thing, not even looked at the manual! I will venture to the forums shortly to seek out the best profiles, from what I hear the Amp Factory paid-for profiles only cost like 5.99 so that's nothing. Cheers for the tips on the the profiles you mentioned - have you updated to the latest Firmware with the pitchshifter/ harmoniser and ability to downtune your guitar using the Kemper unit?

Gary_W

#1065357 - 07/09/13 12:06 PM
Yes, I'm at the latest firmware. It was painless

What I will say is 'back up before you update' (in the manual page 40/41). Then do the update. Then backup again. Backups don't seem to restore if the software version is different.

There are SOME amp factory profiles loaded as standard these days at the latest firmware level - tell the system to 'install all factory rigs' after you've updated. It's in one of the 'system' menus so just push that button and go through the pages until you find it. The amp factory rigs start with TAF so have a scroll through those and enjoy the smile.

The Amp Factory profiles are very well thought of - they are £4.99 each or there are bundles. There are lots of great free ones anyway so you don't HAVE to spend money. But when I bought my Kemper, I got it from Andertons and they had an offer whereby you could get an £80 Amp Factory voucher for £40 so I went with that. Hence me having quite so many profiles on the thing..... I spent that and have just bought his new Fender pack. It's overkill for me TBH but some of the sounds in there are just so lovely that I have no regrets. The chap that owns it is on the Kemper forums and is very responsive to email - seems like a nice guy. I'm not a high-gain monster but his Goldfinger from pack 2 is just lovely. A lot of the profiles have lots of reverb on but of course you can dial that back (it's the reverb effect, not that the amp has been captured with a ton of room because they haven't). So really I so full of good commercial stuff that it's made me lazy on finding the good freebies of which there are hundreds!

Another place for commercial profiles is Soundside.de - I've not tried any of his (they are $19.99 per amp but you get more profiles of it) but they are again well thought of.

You will need to make use of the 'favourites' folder a lot! Trouble I've found is that more of the presets sound great vs meeeh so you have to be brutal with what goes in there otherwise you'll be up to 200 favourites.

Been meaning to write a review here - will do that in a bit. It's too good not to praise!

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
      #1065381 - 07/09/13 03:44 PM
Its the only thing currently in my GAS file, save for the Royer R-121. Well, that and a suitable cabinet for the Kemper of course! Glad you are enjoying it so much. I'm sure we would all be as easily convinced. One day I shall have saved my pennies.

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

Imran500

#1065382 - 07/09/13 03:46 PM
I noticed the Andertons Amp Factory thing but they didn't have it in stock so I went to Guitar Guitar in Epsom, demoed it and bought it on the spot.

There's so many useable presets it could lead to that kind of paralysis that hits you when you have a great soft synth and multiple sounds work brilliantly in a song!

I really like Guitar Rig's delays and weird sounds and sticking Kemper cleans through that software sounds amazing.

I'll keep what you said about the updates in mind so thanks for that.

In terms of profiles, I'll have a good read of the forums and find out the highest rated ones - from what I've heard some of the user ones are as good or better than the paid ones.

I'm going to change pickups in my guitar though so I won't be able to play it again for a week!

P.s. it's completely superficial but the rack unit looks bad-ass as well

Gary_W

#1065459 - 08/09/13 10:28 AM
Paralysis can be an issue. You'll stumble across a preset that works for your mood on a particular day and that's where you get stuck. There are just so many good ones and it's just finding them that is the issue. Hence me crapping on about the need for a PC based editor / librarian to make ordering and sorting easier than it currently is. And deleting.... Brutality is going to be needed soon at this end - I existed for ages with 1 real amp so I should be able to 'limit myself' to a hundred or so

The Rig Exchange needs meta scores or some other tweek to the rating system IMO - lots of things with a 5 star rating based on one vote..... It's not easy finding the Cream of the crop. Don't get me wrong, most of the stuff there is 'very good'. It's just that the Kemper with a 'top' profile is astonishing so why waste time with the merely 'very good'. And of course personal taste and guitar used makes a big difference to this.

As well as reading forum threads over there, the Kemper twitter feed has just started mentioning their favourites every few days. You don't need a twitter account to see this, just go here https://mobile.twitter.com/Kemper_Amps

When you get your guitar back, read up on the clean sense setting - it makes quite a difference to things and setting it 'per guitar' is a good idea IMO and as you're having new pickups it's worth revisiting (or visiting for the first time if you plugged and played )

Btw, I posted a review in the appropriate section. Get coffee if you go there - brevity isn't my strongest trait!

Edited by Gary_W (08/09/13 10:30 AM)

Imran500

#1065681 - 10/09/13 09:16 AM
Excellent review there, that was a good read. As I mentioned in that thread we could with a software editor and internal re-amping like the AXE FX offers, hell I think even an older POD model offered that.

My guitar won't be back for a week so now I'm just staring at the thing!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1901

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media