Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dave71

Loc: Lat: 54:24:38N Lon: 1:43:30W
Black star club 40
      #1068008 - 28/09/13 10:36 AM
I had a play with a club 40 yesterday and think I was missing a trick

IMO it was nice, warm and responsive in the clean channel really responding to pup switching and vol/tone tweaking on a strat.
With low level gain on the dirty channel it was nice and bright with pleanty of bite when played hard whilst mellow when played softly.
However I was disappointed when I cranked the gain. It was just a fuzzy mess.

Now in all fairness I wasn't able to wind it up which I can only assume is what was required, being a valve amp and all.

Does anybody use one and what do you think.
I'm looking for a good all round amp with lots of drive if needed for heavy rocking. Have a few pedals to add a bit more if req.

--------------------
No more kebabs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Gary_W

Re: Black star club 40 new [Re: Dave71]
      #1068161 - 29/09/13 11:40 PM
I've only tried a 40 in a shop. I have the Blackstar HT1 and I've also tried the floor pedal (the dual drive one) which, I believe, is pretty much a pedal approximation of the HT-5.

I have to say I like the clean channel on all of these and, once cranked, I like the crunch you can get. Hit with a pedal, it goes to classic rock and heavier and sounds nice.

On all of the above, I haven't liked the OD channel. Just too much for my taste. But that's just me.... And I guess you

But then again if you look at the artist page http://www.blackstaramps.com/artists/quotes.php it seems like anyone who wears black and does death metal in a band called 'Pony Death Rattle' or similar has a Blackstar that is..... Black. Anyone that plays classic rock has a Blackstar that is red (i.e. the Artisan series).

Big old generalisation for sure but it's a free Internet I just think the 2nd channel on these seems to be aimed at the rather more extreme end of the spectrum.

Dave71

Loc: Lat: 54:24:38N Lon: 1:43:30W
      #1068303 - 30/09/13 09:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I really thing it needed winding up the see the real
Potential. At shop vol I prefer my cheap and nasty Marshall
Transistor box. I do keep bumping into fender amps, mostly the blues delux/ hot rod and they sound sweet. I did a pa for s band on Saturday where the guitarist was running an SG with p90's into a hot rod. What a sound!

--------------------
No more kebabs

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1069623 - 10/10/13 06:40 AM
I don't have a 40 to hand but just ran up Son's HT-20...Err? you do know there is a GAIN control on the OD channel chaps?

Backing that off I could go from well crunchy to pretty clean. Then, you can always back off the guitar level a bit?

The OD channel of both amps does just give you PRE amp distortion and that is never quite the same as total op stage mayhem. It does however have the advantage that you can get an acceptable (?) drive sound at any volume level (or indeed none, the amps can function as a standalone pre amp and no speaker need be plugged in).

Don't know about the 40 but the HT-20 is said to benefit from a ~10dB boost in the FX loop especially if done with an EQ pedal with a bit of midlift. This would of course only apply for actual speaker drive usage.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: ***
Thread views: 2112

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media