Main Forums >> Guitar Technology
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
slippers

Loc: Ingerland!
£2800 what to do?
      #425817 - 24/02/07 03:55 PM
Lo all, long time no speak.

Im looking at getting myself a nice ol les paul. I am very lucky and gratefull as my budget is around £2800 and i am not sure what to go for.

I have been looking at some of the old ones on ebay and that, but like wines are there some really bad years to avoid? Or is it just worth buying a new one? Are there better guitars to buy for that sort of money.

There just seems to be so much nice kit out there i dont have a clue what to go for!

thanks inn advance,

slippers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Lodious

Loc: East Midlands, UK
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: slippers]
      #425822 - 24/02/07 04:10 PM
My advice would be to try lots of guitars, Gibsons are very variable. Don't jump at the first one you see. With that budget you should get a great guitar, but you could end up with a lemon. I don't know where you are located in england, but a trip to the South East where there are shops which will have 10's of quality instruments to try would probably yeild better results than getting the first one you see off ebay.

FWIW, I have a 54' RI finished in Oxblood and I love it

--------------------
I like people, it's my friends I can't stand - Larry David.
http://www.myspace.com/lodious

slippers

Loc: Ingerland!
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: Lodious]
      #425826 - 24/02/07 04:13 PM
sweet,
could you give me some clues where to find these shops? Im in the south myself

__
Who's never been here

#425830 - 24/02/07 04:16 PM
These people know their Gibsons

Stevedog

Loc: Mercia
      #425906 - 24/02/07 07:58 PM
Personally, I'd but a Tokai Love Rock.. Do a beautiful wine red with aluminium tail piece etc etc.. yours for less than a grand and generally blows most gibbos out of the water for build quality. finish etc etc...

--------------------
nibbled to death by an Okapi http://www.soundclick.com/tubilahdog

mrbassman

#425980 - 25/02/07 12:40 AM
Hi,
Play smart, buy yourself a return ticket, go to LA for a few days and grab yourself a serious beast for half the price. Th price difference will pay for the flight fare and accommodation, not to mention a nice lil' break from this miserable weather.
Ciao.

Collyn

Loc: Srf London
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: mrbassman]
      #426472 - 26/02/07 11:19 AM
Thats a +1 on mrbassman's reco

If you don't Fancy LA head for New York

Go to Mandolin Bros www.mandoweb.com or one of the many NY/NJ retailers you'll see on www.gbase.com

Les Pauls start at about £450 s/h, you'll get an absolutely magic Gibbo for £1500

Or better still pay one of us to go there for you!

--------------------
Relax in 20 minutes www.you.rtime.co.uk

__
Who's never been here

Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: mrbassman]
      #426486 - 26/02/07 11:35 AM
True you can bag a nice guitar in the states, but don't forget you'll owe duty and VAT when you get back.

Thats 3.7% duty on the value, plus 17.5% on the value+duty

so £1000(value) + £37(duty) = £1037 + £181.48(vat) =

£1218.48 Total...

if you get Fedex or someone to bring it for you then those taxes are due on the Value plus the Shipping Cost.

russ123

Loc: northwest uk
      #426810 - 26/02/07 10:03 PM
Quote slippers:

Lo all, long time no speak.

Im looking at getting myself a nice ol les paul. I am very lucky and gratefull as my budget is around £2800 and i am not sure what to go for.

I have been looking at some of the old ones on ebay and that, but like wines are there some really bad years to avoid? Or is it just worth buying a new one? Are there better guitars to buy for that sort of money.

There just seems to be so much nice kit out there i dont have a clue what to go for!

thanks inn advance,

slippers

if you have £2800 to spend on a guitar, don't spend it until you can answer your own question. do your research or you will get ripped off or at least not be in a postion to haggle the price down a few hundred!

IvanSC

Loc: UK France & USA depending on t...
      #426931 - 27/02/07 08:41 AM
Re importing guitars from the USA:
One on its own looking fairly obviously used (I.E. case rash on the outside and signs of some wear) you might slide by with.
My funniest experience like that was bringing back my pedal steel from Nashville donkeys years ago.
UK customs bod asked me what was in the box and I replied `oh just my old guitar` (perfectly true)
He asked me to open the box and then spent about 2 minutes looking, ran his fingers over the strings and sent me on my way.
You might just get lucky....

--------------------
Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

caveman82

Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: russ123]
      #426974 - 27/02/07 10:18 AM
Quote rusty123:

if you have £2800 to spend on a guitar, don't spend it until you can answer your own question. do your research or you will get ripped off or at least not be in a postion to haggle the price down a few hundred!

yeah i'd say before you buy the guitar decide exactly what you are looking for.

thin neck/fat neck, custom/standard/deluxe/special/junior, custom with 2 or 3 pickups, with bigsby or without.

there's a huge amount of variation in sub classification of les pauls, so once you work out exactly what you're after then it shouldn't be too bad to work what the best instrument for the money you have you can get.

if i had the amount of money you have, my decision would be easy. i'd go for a 54 les paul custom reissue, as i'm a sucker for neil young! no idea how much that costs though!

Jaicen

#427275 - 27/02/07 07:16 PM
Do yourself a favour and find a decent luthier to build you your own custom. For that money you can have solid woods, thru-neck, Nitro finished with a set of Bareknuckles's to top it all off.

BluesWest

#429599 - 04/03/07 07:19 PM
With a budget like that you should check out Bill Collings' take on the Les Paul. Collings makes superb flattops, archtops and mandolins, and he recently started a line of Gibsonesque electrics (I purchased one of their ES335-style guitars and it is magnificent). Their Les Paul-style instrument is called the City Limits

leslawrenson

Loc: Outside Mothercare
      #429628 - 04/03/07 08:58 PM
Three weeks ago, I spent £1700 on a new Patrick Eggle Berlin JS 24 (I haggled the shop down £250). And I've just bought a PRS Custom 24 with trem off Ebay for £1,000 (a real steal!). I've owned and played a PRS Custom 22 (fixed bridge) for over a year (I bought that off Ebay for about £1,200). Prior to that, and for the previous 25 years, I had been a confirmed Strat man. I still use my Strat Plus a great deal, which I bought new in 1989. I used to own a Les Paul Standard. I did a couple of recordings with it back in the early 90ies, and although I loved the tone of it, I could never get used to playing it live on stage. I ended up selling it for a song in about 1993 at a time when I need the cash. I regretted it for a long long time, until I bought my first PRS.

Anyway, I would strongly urge you to try both the Patrick Eggle Berlin and the PRS Custom 22. These guitars produce fantastic tone and sustain (like the Les Paul), but are both so much more versatile. The Patrick Eggle, in particular, has a fantastic range of tones, having Seymour Duncan pickups with coil tap on both pickups. Both guitars are well within your budget and, as I have proved, you could even get both if you buy second hand on one or both of them.

The neck on the PRS guitars is thinner, and more like a Strat. The neck on the Patrick Eggle is fatter, more like the Les Paul. Both guitars play like a dream, very low action and very smooth fretting. Please give either one of them a try. I promise you that you will fall in love with both.

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: leslawrenson]
      #429765 - 05/03/07 07:48 AM
Quote leslawrenson:

Three weeks ago, I spent £1700 on a new Patrick Eggle Berlin JS 24

I'll second that on the PE - but watch out for the trems (the only thing on mine that I don't love).

I've had my Berlin Pro since 1994 so its quite early (built in Coventry), I've not played anything made in the new Birmingham factory. Recently I've been looking for something new, tried a few LP's and PRS single cuts but was very dissapointed. I'd not been into LP's and I can't understand how people cope with the lack of upper fret access - or maybe I've been spoilt by the 24 fret Eggle all these years.

Anyway - check them out, great sound, playability and finish - and they're British.

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
      #429768 - 05/03/07 08:15 AM
Oh, and you might want to look at Martyn Booth Guitars
Martyn Booth
I've been talking to Martyn (very nice chap) about a possible build although, sadly, it looks as though this years bonus isn't going to be enough for me to go ahead.

dubbmann

Loc: 3rd stone from the sun.
      #987853 - 16/05/12 06:04 PM
hi,

a q and a thought.

q: do you have/want to spend all the bread on one gtr?

the reason i ask is that there are a lot a very playable/great sounding gtrs out there for much less than 2800 quid. maybe not many with gibson or fender nameplates but stuff that smokes most of the stuff these names put out even from their custom shops. i'd seriously look for/at tokai/fernandez monterrey/godin/etc. also, 2800 is enough to get a current LP but not a vintage. and for LPs, vintage should mean pre-1970s. because of the weirdness of les paul's divorce settlement with mary ford, there are only a few LPs made in the 60s, these from old parts left in the gibson factory when production was shut down in the 1960 time frame (others here know the details much better than i). bottom line: 70s/80s gibbos were crap, 90s quality improved a lot, 2000s back down quality wise. any LP from the 50s: probalbly minimum of 15,000, and that's a lot of money for what after all is six strings, 2 pups, and a bunch of wood. even if i had the bread, i'd pass.

thought: even 2800 is a lot of money, and i'd never drop it on an unplayed gtr. really good gtr shops aren't even comfortable doing net sales because they know there's a high chance of unhappiness, returns, and no future business with the would-be buyer. if you decide to come to the states, i'd suggest avoiding LA or NY, these will have the most stock but at the highest prices. probably the same with nashville. if there's a part of the us you've always fancied seeing, do some net research and find the high-end used gtr stores there and stitch a road trip together. maybe the best place to look for gtrs would be the South but if you choose to go there, watch "My Cousin Vinny" before hand. two reasons: it's a really funny movie (joe pesci's best work EVER) and it's plot is two college kids do a road trip in te South that nearly ends badly. caveat emptor ;-)

cheers,

d

--------------------
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/
http://www.phichibe.com

Random Guitarist

Loc: West Sussex UK
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: dubbmann]
      #987857 - 16/05/12 06:33 PM
This is a dead thread (look at the date)

'e's not stunned, 'e's not resting, 'e's demised.
(And the plummage is not so hot either)

--------------------
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

_ Six _

#992741 - 14/06/12 12:43 AM
I spent £2800 on a Gibson 1958 VOS custom shop Les Paul and it was money very well spent.

I've also bought guitars at Guitar Centre Hollywood and never been stopped by Customs coming back into the UK. Just remove the tags and tell them you always travel with a guitar.

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #992765 - 14/06/12 08:15 AM
I am proud of you, my invisible interweb chums. Shallow men would answer the question in the thread's title by using sentences including "Russian hookers" and "illegal white powder."

I had never previously thought of the guitar forum as a bastion of spiritual purity, but from now onwards I shall do so always.

For the bass players among us, the answer is trivially simple: "Warwick."

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

_ Six _

Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: SecretSam]
      #992768 - 14/06/12 08:46 AM
Quote SecretSam:

I am proud of you, my invisible interweb chums. Shallow men would answer the question in the thread's title by using sentences including "Russian hookers" and "illegal white powder."

£3k wouldn't go far when I go sick on a weekend rampage

Frisonic

Loc: London, United Kingdom
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: _ Six _]
      #992815 - 14/06/12 11:31 AM
Quote _ Six _:

I've also bought guitars at Guitar Centre Hollywood and never been stopped by Customs coming back into the UK. Just remove the tags and tell them you always travel with a guitar.

I bought a $3k Martin from a well known guitar shop in NYC a few years ago and, knowing that I was going to bring it back to the UK offered me their 'customs kit'. This comprised a few sheets of sand paper and sundry advertisement stickers of the bumper variety they had amassed from within the guitar industry especially for such purposes. I was invited to plant a few stickers over the case and then rough it up with the sand paper so it didn't look too new. I got busy and within minutes my brand new guitar case was looking well enough traveled to the untrained eye. They were all congratulating me on an artistic effort when one of the guy's working in the shop quietly said "if it goes easy with your conscience". Now this got to me because apart from anything else the guitar was actually an engagement present from my now wife, to whom I had just proposed the night before (yes it was a bit contrived, she was over there on business and, it being the town of her birth I decided to get on a plane and joined her there to do the deed - she knew it was coming but it seemed like the right location)! So, I was now troubled: Did I want this very special guitar blighted by 'bad karma' on account of ripping off the customs people? Just seemed wrong in this instance. So, next day I took off all the stickers and took a cloth over the case and it looked like new again. I got a taxi to Newark Airport to check onto my economy BA flight, guitar receipt in hand (if you're going to try and sneak it past customs it's a good idea to post the receipt to yourself rather than have it on your person), ready to pay the duty at Heathrow customs the next morning and mostly concerned that my guitar was NOT going to travel in the hold...

The BA staff took one look at the guitar case and said 'OK, you can board with the children and disabled to make sure you get locker room'. When I got on the plane the chief steward said 'not many people in first class today, I'll put your guitar in a locker up there if you like'! Nice easy flight home and my very special new guitar is being treated like royalty (I'm in steerage but that's fine). Amazing! I must have this karma thing going right I am thinking. But the most amazing thing was the next morning when I arrived at the customs hall, brimming with perceptions of virtue and righteousness, and for the first and only time in my life heading for the 'goods to declare' channel. I walked into the customs hall (9.00am on a Monday morning). Nobody there. I stopped and looked confused for a few minutes, then started walking very slowly through the hall, looking at anything that looked like CCTV or a two way mirror, pointing very deliberately at the prominently displayed guitar case. Nothing happened. Nobody came. I ran out of hall. I decided to think of it as an early wedding present from HMRC (they still don't know this).

However, when I was discussing the episode with the jeweler who made our rings he told me that whenever they bring precious stones back into the UK what they do is ring HMRC in advance to let them know what flight they are on and what they're bringing in. They are then met, they pay the duty and the paperwork is raised there and then. The jewelers need the proof that their rocks are kosher to get the full price. Apparently the Customs people often don't bother manning their 'goods to declare hall' because nobody ever uses them!

So despite my best efforts I never did pay the duty on that guitar. That said I've met several people who have tried bringing in guitars without declaring them and got busted. Your trip. Understand the morality. Understand the risk! (And be duly advised of another favorite deception used by people who regularly do this: being to take an old guitar case with a piece of sh*t guitar on the way out and replace it for something more desirable in the same case on the way back - that's for the more premeditated import and requires knowing exactly what sort of guitar you're after in advance, so you take out the right case - but the guy who told me about that trick got busted once too).

--------------------
Strictly project and just for fun

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: SecretSam]
      #992824 - 14/06/12 12:33 PM
Quote SecretSam:

Well, the first two letters are correct... but I think you meant Wal

Not quite so simple as it seems

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Madman_Greg

Loc: The back of beyond
Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: zenguitar]
      #992826 - 14/06/12 12:44 PM
If you within travelling distance of the East Midlands (Horncastle), then this place has a lots of vintage stuff. You would need to ring for stock, not sure how current their website is.

http://www.oldhatguitars.com/

I am not affiliated with this place

--------------------
Madman_Greg

SecretSam

#992841 - 14/06/12 02:44 PM
I've never played a Wal, but you prompted a google (actually a Bing), and I see they are making them again. What are they like ? Didn't that out-of-tune big girl's blouse in Japan play a fretless one ?

--------------------

SecretSam

Re: £2800 what to do? new [Re: _ Six _]
      #992844 - 14/06/12 02:48 PM
Then I am even prouder of you, Mr Six.

--------------------

4TrackMadman

#992945 - 15/06/12 09:33 AM
A vintage Les Paul might be a great purchase if you are not sold a fake, of course.

I personally wouldn't buy Gibson nowadays, probably I'll go for PRS, Guild or Heritage if wanting that type of guitar. Incidentally a friend has a '68 Gretch which I'll put against any LP of that era.

jaminem

#992960 - 15/06/12 10:40 AM
Quote zenguitar:

Quote SecretSam:

Well, the first two letters are correct... but I think you meant Wal

Not quite so simple as it seems

Andy

Oh no he was right the first time, Warwicks are for Wal players without beards and advancing years.

I've got 2!!

zenguitarAdministrator

Loc: Devon
      #992968 - 15/06/12 11:13 AM
Yes, Wal are definitely back in production.

My brother has two of them, one fretted and one fretless and both unusual examples. I've got the fretted one here at the moment for some TLC.

Warwick are wonderful instruments, but they aren't quite in the same league as Wal.

Andy

--------------------
When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro.

SecretSam

#992986 - 15/06/12 11:56 AM
A bloke who used to teach me bass many years ago had an enviable collection, including two Ken Smiths and a Wal. I have a vivid memory of him demonstrating the wiggly-ness of the Wal's bolt-on neck by grabbing it half-way down and moving it side-to-side. The bad news: he could move the neck and they aren't supposed to move. The good news: the instrument didn't seem damaged.

I think his point was that his thru-neck Ken Smiths were better from an intonation point of view, but I would have taken that on trust !

If anyone tried that on my Warwick, it would be their last day on Earth.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 11905

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media