Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Ian Evans

HK PR:O 12
      #1031766 - 02/02/13 05:57 PM
I'm planning to replace a pair of prehistoric EV S200 speakers, currently used for small 100-200 capacity gigs, powered by a Macrotech 2400 amp. Main use is vocal only, but occasionally full band with a sub added.

These HK PR:O 12 look nice for the price with a good sensitivity figure, but I have no experience of HK - has anybody ever used this speaker?

Also thinking that the safe route might be a pair of SX300s.

Edited by Ian Evans (02/02/13 05:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: HK PR:O 12 new [Re: Ian Evans]
      #1031769 - 02/02/13 06:12 PM
I'm presuming you want to stick with passive speakers.

I've used and heard HK speakers a bit m'self and am a fan. That said, there are others here who aren't so enthusiastic. I'd describe the sound as 'hi-fi' - quite smooth and measured. You'll find a review of them by Paul White HERE

I came very close to buying some PR:O 8s recently, but in the end went powered and bought some Yamaha DXRs.

I have some experience of the SX300s and have found them slightly lacking in bass compared to other 12" speakers.

I've also been intrigued by the KME range of speakers, but seems like you can only get them from Thomann. I put a 'shout-out' here about them recently but no-one responded.

You might also want to check out what RCF, dB Technologies and FBT are offering. All of those were on my shortlist.

But if I was choosing between HK or EV I'd go for HK, but their 'sound' does suit the styles I usually work in.

Ian Evans

Re: HK PR:O 12 new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1031782 - 02/02/13 07:59 PM
Hi Mike - yes I'm staying with passive speakers.

On balance I need hi-fi much more often straight level, but want to be able to manage the odd time it's a loud gig.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who don't like HKs.

I'm also looking at RCF and dB Technologies similar spec units, but the HK price caught my eye.

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1031796 - 02/02/13 09:17 PM
Quote Ian Evans:

Hi Mike - yes I'm staying with passive speakers.

On balance I need hi-fi much more often straight level, but want to be able to manage the odd time it's a loud gig.

I'm also looking at RCF and dB Technologies similar spec units, but the HK price caught my eye.

The 'not sure's about HKs must obviously speak for themselves... If I recall correctly, the reservations were about them not producing a 'gutsy' sound. HKs are usually efficient and can handle level well without signs of strain or peaks - they just do what they're supposed to.

If you look at THIS thread you'll see some positive comments about HKs...

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
      #1031941 - 03/02/13 10:32 PM
QSC, RCF, JBL all have what you want but you need to listen to them really..... I love the JBL SRX kit but a lot hate the topend.

We own a load of RCF and have installed a bit of QSC but all do something different and we love and hate different bits

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1031991 - 04/02/13 11:14 AM
Quote Ian Evans:

I'm one of those that hasn't been that impressed with what I've heard from HK rigs. Mind you, I've never had the luxury of setting one up myself so the blame my lie with the owners of the rigs rather than the rigs themselves. When I've mixed on one I've found it hard to get the vocal clarity when running a busy mix.

I've always been impressed with RCF systems.

I would add that I've never heard Mike's system either.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
      #1032051 - 04/02/13 02:36 PM
The problem with PA sound systems is its all down to personal taste.

I like a 2" HF (JBL 2450 !!) - Lots of people HATE that driver
I like reflex subs - lots of people will only use horns

It goes on....

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Ian Evans

Re: HK PR:O 12 new [Re: TSH-Tim]
      #1032654 - 07/02/13 09:51 PM
Thanks for the replies; yes there's a huge personal taste factor and there's no speaker that everybody likes all aspects of.

However, while trawling around to see whether the PR:O 12 is much use, I came across a translated review where somebody claimed to have opened a 15 up and found the main driver is a Celestion Truvox TF1525 (250W rms, 98dB/1W). The HF unit is Sika 40W 1" so there would appear to be a big gap against HK's claimed 400W rms / 104 dB.

I've no way of knowing whether this is true, but together with a lack of user reviews and general luke warm response here it's enough to put me off thinking that they're a bargain at £287.

So - I'm back to looking at SX300s. I know what to expect from them and there's no doubt about power handling.

Chris Barlow

#1032904 - 10/02/13 03:01 PM
the sx300 are terrible to use alone , they have no bass response.( unless used as vocal only)
The old 200s had much better bass response , but not as loud .
i used sx300/sb122 combo for a long time and loved them loads !
you will be better off with qsc K12 that sound great with and without subs.(using the deep switch )
I have since switched to nexo...and nothing i have ever had even comes close....but its at a cost

Ian Evans

Re: HK PR:O 12 new [Re: Chris Barlow]
      #1032935 - 10/02/13 08:26 PM
Yes Chris, I'm not expecting any great bass from them, as you say they'll need a sub or two when I want any bottom end. But for getting the vocal through I'm going to be OK.

QSC K12 is powered only I think?

Anyway, after seeing some really awful second hand SX300s from Gumtree this week, I'm ordering tonight.

Chris Barlow

#1032966 - 11/02/13 01:24 AM
like u said though mate you know what yer gonna get wi a pair of sx300
they rock solid performers for certain.and are built to last..have fun )

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1033109 - 12/02/13 02:39 AM
If you need more fullness in the sound of sx300s then try them with the system controller xp200a. They can be picked up for pennies on eBay and are a perfectly useable, if not very sophisticated crossover.

With just the sx300 tops you have the option of dialling in some sub harmonics which do not significantly eat up amp headroom, very clever. It's more of a sonic workaround than a substitute for bass bins but still very useful.

With sb120/121 baby bins there is a fixed point lo-Hz out facility on the xp200a which is understandably mono controllable by a rotary pot.

All connectors are XLR which is a minor pain if you want to use it at insert points i.e. with a powered desk/mixer amp but certainly not a deal breaker.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

Ian Evans

Re: HK PR:O 12 new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1035225 - 25/02/13 11:59 PM
SX300s arrived, had one run out so far and all is good - they just need a little taking out above 4kHz. I put 2 subs with Kilomax 18" beneath them, no problems with bass!

The XP200a could be useful though for a bit of extra bass and a lot less lifting.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1035251 - 26/02/13 10:04 AM
Good to hear. Be aware though, the sonic jiggery-pokery the xp200a will provide will not reproduce the sound of an 18" sub. Have a listen in the room to some prerecorded stuff to see how the sound carries. I find things tend to even out and warm up as you move away a little.

Do you have an EQ on them or are you using your channel EQ?

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3909

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media