Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Audix Microboom - any users?
      #1032976 - 11/02/13 07:13 AM
I'm looking for a discreet solution for spot miking the soloist in orchestral concerts and also to have a very low profile mic on a stand for announcements at classical and chamber music concerts (without going to radio lapels).

The Audix Microboom series (here) has exactly the visual profile I'm looking for, but I can find precious little about it in the way of reviews on the net.

Any users out there? Any alternatives?

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Audix Microboom - any users? new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1032997 - 11/02/13 09:55 AM
I've seen them at trade shows and they look quite nice. The use of mini-XLR connectors obviously restricts what mics they can be used with though.

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

seablade

#1033049 - 11/02/13 03:07 PM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

I'm looking for a discreet solution for spot miking the soloist in orchestral concerts and also to have a very low profile mic on a stand for announcements at classical and chamber music concerts (without going to radio lapels).

The Audix Microboom series (here) has exactly the visual profile I'm looking for, but I can find precious little about it in the way of reviews on the net.

Any users out there? Any alternatives?

Bob

They do a decent job, not perfect but fairly decent. I have two of them I use for a small variety of purposes, but my choir work is during rock and praise songs, so not exactly the demanding situations you might be looking for. I have put some in on installs in more traditional situations and the customers are happy with them.

Would I take my AKG C451b or similar mics over it for audio quality? Yes. But for the visual profile they do a decent job.

Hugh I am not certain if I am reading your response right or not, but you realise the mini-xlr connectors are to run into the system, not the mic right? The mic is a screw on capsule, and to me knowledge you are limited to the audix mics designed for this.

Seablade

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Audix Microboom - any users? new [Re: seablade]
      #1033073 - 11/02/13 06:42 PM
Ah... I saw some at a show a while ago, and they had mini XLRs for the capsule fitting at the top. Perhaps I'm thinking of something else, or maybe they were prototypes. Sorry if I've muddied the waters...

hugh

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Bob Bickerton

#1033082 - 11/02/13 08:10 PM
Thanks for the responses.

To clarify, the microboom has a mini XLR at each end and is essentially designed to take the Audix Micro series of mics. The top end has a short gooseneck with a female mini XLR on the end, into which you plug the mic ( this appears to be self supporting, so no clip required). The bottom end has a male mini XLR into which you plug the mini XLR to standard XLR cable which ships with the mic. There appears to be a neat cable clamp integrated into the boom clutch for tidying things up. So the signal from the mic runs down the boom meaning no cables are visible at the mic end of the boom - nice and tidy. As to whether other mics could be fitted, well that's really not the point as far as I'm concerned.

From what you've said Seablade, I think it's worth a punt from the point of view of having a discreet announcement mic for pa duties. If I can use it as a spot mic for non-critical live recording situations, then that's a bonus.

I'll post up some thoughts after it arrives and I've had chance to assess it.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

seablade

#1033101 - 11/02/13 10:19 PM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

Thanks for the responses.

To clarify, the microboom has a mini XLR at each end and is essentially designed to take the Audix Micro series of mics.

Very odd, fairly certain mine have a threaded end, now I have to go check. Apologies if I was wrong Hugh:)

Quote:

From what you've said Seablade, I think it's worth a punt from the point of view of having a discreet announcement mic for pa duties.

Just make sure that two things happen, one that noone is going to kick or handle it, and two that it is out of the way of breath noise. I use my pair for pickups in front of a green screen, when not in use for other things and they do acceptable there, though I have to roll out a fair amount of mids. I can send you links to vids if you want to see the finished result if you want, but that will obviously only tell you so much.

Quote:

If I can use it as a spot mic for non-critical live recording situations, then that's a bonus.

Distant micing, sure.

Demos are usually available on my side of the pond, is worth seeing if you can get one there as well from an Audix rep, but no idea if things work the same way down under or not.

Seablade

Bob Bickerton

#1033988 - 18/02/13 08:53 PM
Just a follow up. I've just received the 4ft boom with cardioid M1250B mic and have recorded some comparison tests with a KMS105 and M300 on Soundcloud here

I've started a thread in the User Reviews here

Basically an astonishing low profile solution and a workable alternative should visual impact be an important consideration.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1756

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media