Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
One Horse Town

Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it?
      #1034735 - 22/02/13 07:53 PM
I can see the advantage of not having power-strips on the floor but are these rack mount units worth the money? I've also read comments saying that in the uk it's rare to encounter the 'spikes' that manufacturers would have us all in fear of - true or false? Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: One Horse Town]
      #1034747 - 22/02/13 08:01 PM
From the way you've written, I'm assuming you're in the UK... if nor ignore what follows!

Simply put: you don't need power conditioners in the UK unless you're running off some dodgy generator or something like that.

But a rack-mounted distribution system (excluding the conditioner) can offer a tidier semi-permanent means of distributing mains to rack-mounted gear. That said, there are several here who have fastened a decent "floor-board" into the back of their rack using cable-ties or some other means. Certainly cheaper and meets exactly the same need.

TheChorltonWheelie

Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: One Horse Town]
      #1034805 - 23/02/13 08:02 AM
Quote One Horse Town:

I can see the advantage of not having power-strips on the floor but are these rack mount units worth the money? I've also read comments saying that in the uk it's rare to encounter the 'spikes' that manufacturers would have us all in fear of - true or false? Any thoughts?

As a PDU, the rack-mounted strips are very useful, but for protecting you against brown-outs and spikes, no, they're uncommon enough for you not to worry about.

However, I run a UPS in my rack, albeit quite a small one, and that does protect me from people pulling the power out (which does happen regularly), or if the circuit trips on stage due to over-load (which definitely happens once or twice a year). My UPS gives me 2-3 minutes, which is enough for the power to come back on, or enough for me to safely turn the kit off.

I put a fused IEC chassis in my flight case, that's wired to the UPS, and then in turn the UPS runs 2 * PDU's (into which all of the rack kit is connected). I also have a IEC chassis in the flight case that can run external items, i.e. a gang socket, and that powers my laptop and keyboard rig too.

The whole setup was about £150, including the UPS and IEC chassis', and to be honest it has been worth every penny. Whilst the UK doesn't have power surges like most countries, every stage/club/venue has an idiot that'll pull out/trip over the power socket! :-)

DGL.

Loc: Portland, Dorset
Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #1034806 - 23/02/13 08:34 AM
also if you own a digital mixer the advice from ALL manufacturers is get a UPS.
Digital mixers don't generally handle any kind of power faults too well.

chris...

Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: DGL.]
      #1034837 - 23/02/13 01:46 PM
My 01V happily comes back up to exactly where it was

Happy Birthday Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: chris...]
      #1034839 - 23/02/13 02:04 PM
But only after an embarrassingly long silence, and a few loud pops and bangs!

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Exalted Wombat

Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1034846 - 23/02/13 03:10 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

But only after an embarrassingly long silence, and a few loud pops and bangs!

It's only a computer of course. How often does yours reset due to a power glitch? That's how much you need a UPS. (And a power conditioner isn't a UPS.)

One Horse Town

Re: Rackmount Power Conditioners - are they worth it? new [Re: TheChorltonWheelie]
      #1034900 - 23/02/13 08:13 PM
Chotlton Wheelie

"I put a fused IEC chassis in my flight case, that's wired to the UPS, and then in turn the UPS runs 2 * PDU's (into which all of the rack kit is connected). I also have a IEC chassis in the flight case that can run external items, i.e. a gang socket, and that powers my laptop and keyboard rig too."

Can you recommend a specific UPS and IEC chassis? My knowledge of electrical stuff is limited. One other thing - my gear is as follows: Yamaha dsr118 sub - 2xdsr112 tops - stage piano+3modules and effects. Total wattage is approx 450 watts - some ups units I've looked at only quote 260 watts output. As I said I'm not an expert on this stuff so can someone put me right?
Thanks for your original comment.

Edited by One Horse Town (23/02/13 08:30 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
6 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2319

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media