Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
I have sinned with shotguns.......
      #1036403 - 05/03/13 04:11 AM
A recent thread on choir miking got me thinking. I have on a number of occasions used shotgun mics (Rode NTG-1s) to mic choirs and to ambiently stereo mic ensembles or small orchestras at outdoor concerts to (what I thought was) reasonable effect.

I'm now thinking a pair of quality hypercardioid mics may be more suitable for this purpose and would also be useful for spot miking in a general sense.

I find the Sennheiser e614 an excellent choice for close miking live duties, very much an underrated mic, but they're probably a tad too noisy for distant miking.

I'd imagine the MKH50 would be ideal, but is out of my price range. The Neumann KM185 (just within budget) has an ideal polar pattern, nice deep nulls just over 90º of axis, but has a considerable low frequency drop off, presumably for dealing with proximity effect when close miking.

Any comments from KM185 users on their suitability for distant miking for live amplification? Any other suggestions?

Ta.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
Re: I have sinned with shotguns....... new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1036409 - 05/03/13 07:45 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

Any other suggestions?

The Gefell M310 is priced around the same price as the KM185. It has a ceramic capsule and an opto-coupler for the phantom power to prevent any DC nasties in the supply getting into the audio circuit.

The Sennheiser MKH8050 is a little cheaper then the MKH50, though still quite a bit more than the 185.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1036446 - 05/03/13 10:33 AM
I like the KM185 a lot, and find that hypercardioids are often my favoured polar pattern for so many applications -- far more useful than boring old cardioids

The bass roll off on the MK185 isn't an issue when close miking, of course, but does become more obvious when distant miking. However, the roll off is smooth and progressive below about 500Hz and some bass shelf EQ easily sorts it out ... although for live sound applications, the bass roll off is no bad thing, generally, in my experience!

Can't comment on the Gefell M310 --apart from wincing at the drive-by advertising again -- as I've never used one, but the sibling M300 is a very nice mic, and I have no doubt that the M310 will maintain the standard.

Other options worth considering are the sE Electronics SE4, the Earthworks SR78, AKG's modular Blueline system SE 300/CK93, or Audio Technica's AT4053a...

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
      #1036573 - 05/03/13 05:57 PM
The SR78 is a stunning mic but wooow they are still around the £700 mark

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Bob Bickerton

Re: I have sinned with shotguns....... new [Re: Hugh Robjohns]
      #1036597 - 05/03/13 08:58 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

I like the KM185 a lot, and find that hypercardioids are often my favoured polar pattern for so many applications -- far more useful than boring old cardioids

Now that's a comment that begs expansion!

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Bob Bickerton

#1036612 - 05/03/13 11:48 PM
It seems my pricing of KM185s and MKH 8050s is close enough for me to choose the 8050s given enough reason.

I don't have any quality hypercardioid mics in my arsenal, but do have M300s, TLM193s, KM183s as well as a range of large diaphragm condensers.

Applications would be:

Recording:

Spot miking acoustic instruments in classical or acoustic ensembles (currently use TLM193s or M300s).

Possible co-incident or near co-incident pairs where they would be preferable to my cardioid mics, possibly on choir in oratorio performances with orchestra (currently use m300s).

Very occasional outdoor ambient recording (currently use M300s).

Live Sound:

Outdoor ambient amplification of choirs and acoustic ensembles such as ukelele groups, school orchestras, where gain before feedback is an issue (currently use shotguns).

Indoor amplification of choirs, where gain before feedback could be an issue (currently use shotguns).

Critical close miking of instruments for concerts which may also be recorded (currently use e614s).

Amplification of Steinway piano in live acoustic for jazz and occasional rock concerts (currently use e614s).

I guess it's swings and roundabouts concerning the benefits of the low frequency roll off on the KM185s. I notice the KM185s have a lift around 10kHz, sounds like this is not a problem for spot miking close up?

Much appreciated.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1036651 - 06/03/13 09:05 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

It seems my pricing of KM185s and MKH 8050s is close enough for me to choose the 8050s given enough reason.

In the UK the KM185 is £690 and the MKH8050 is £1,187 - quite a difference.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

SOS Technical Editor

#1036656 - 06/03/13 09:39 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

It's a couple of things, really. If close miking then I'm usually trying to minimise spill from other instruments, and in that case the relaticely broad pickup angle and single rear null of a cardioid is rarely well placed to be effective. The much narrower pickup angle across the front coupled with the two rear-quarter nulls of a hypercardioid usually allow more practical and effective mic placement with better spill rejection.

And if I'm distant miking for a classical performacne of some kind, an XY stereo pair of hypercardioids often gives exactly the acoustic perspective that I need for the required stereo acceptance angle. XY cardioids have to be sat on top of the conductor and rarely give a nice perspective on their own. XY Fig-8s have to be too far back and the rear pickup tends to make them a bit too washy in many venues...

And in my previous TV career, hypercardioids swung over the actor's heads give almost as much 'suck' as a short rifle mic, but with out the nasty phasiness on off-axis sources.

So yes, I find I use hypercardioids a great deal...

H

--------------------

SOS Technical Editor

#1036657 - 06/03/13 09:43 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

Go for it -- I'd choose the 8050s if the outlay is the same. AS JW says, they are almost twice the cost of the KMs in the UK, and probably are worth the extra...

H

--------------------

Bob Bickerton

#1036803 - 06/03/13 09:41 PM
Gone for it......................

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Skerrick

Loc: Sydney NSW
      #1036838 - 07/03/13 05:56 AM
yo, so i recently cam into a Roland DR80C microphone, it seems quite decent, has a tiny tiny dent on the steel netting around the top of the condenser (its literally such a tiny dent, id say from built up pressure rather than a whack) but i was wondering what to do with it? keep it? sell it?
anyone have any experience with these? it has the pad/db cutoff switches on it etc - as you can see i dont know TOO much about microphones, was hoping for some decent info rather than the sponsored "BUY THIS" type stuff written on nearly every website i check it on..

--------------------
www.soundcloud.com/skerrick

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: I have sinned with shotguns....... new [Re: Skerrick]
      #1036842 - 07/03/13 09:08 AM
I see the Roland DR-80C described by Dolphin as "ideal for amateurs and karaoke enthusiasts".

I think that's called 'damning with faint praise'...

If you already have it then give it a go and see how it turns out for you. Personally I like quirky un-loved mic's. They give me flavours to add to a mix that make people wonder how you did it!

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: I have sinned with shotguns....... new [Re: The Elf]
      #1036859 - 07/03/13 11:03 AM
Quote The Elf:

Personally I like quirky un-loved mic's.

Except the C1000

Quote:

"ideal for amateurs and karaoke enthusiasts"

Didn't harm the Beastie Boys' career using karaoke mics.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1036881 - 07/03/13 12:44 PM
Quote Hugh Robjohns:

Quote Bob Bickerton:

>snip> actor's heads give almost as much 'suck' as a short >snip>
H

Sorry, couldn't resist, feel free to zap, Hugh

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

Bob Bickerton

#1039798 - 25/03/13 07:47 PM
I'm in love with the MKH8050s!

Actually prefer them on acoustic guitar than my M300s, beautiful natural top end, considerable proximity effect though!

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

mjfe2

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1066484 - 16/09/13 10:58 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

I'm in love with the MKH8050s!

Actually prefer them on acoustic guitar than my M300s, beautiful natural top end, considerable proximity effect though!

Bob

Is the proximity effect inherently more severe on hypercardioids than cardioids?

SOS Technical Editor

Re: I have sinned with shotguns....... new [Re: mjfe2]
      #1066490 - 16/09/13 11:44 AM
Quote mjfe2:

Is the proximity effect inherently more severe on hypercardioids than cardioids?

All other factors being the same, then yes. The proximity effect is generated by the pressure-gradient element of the mic. The more PG in the polar pattern, the more proximity effect there will be so fig-8s are the worst, followed by hyper- and super- cardioids, cardioids, and hypo- or sub-cardioids. Omnis are pure pressure operation and have no proximity effect.

However, having said that, the mic's designer can tailor the response to achieve specific aims, so the proximity effect on one manufacturer's cardioid could appear to be stronger than another's fig-8 depending on how the mic has been designed and tuned.

H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6458

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media