Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
One Horse Town

Compression on Live Vocal
      #1039667 - 24/03/13 08:37 PM
Not a new topic I'm sure so apologies to all ther 'pros'. However, I'm a solo piano/singer act with a few modules - no other instruments involved. Do I need a compressor? I've heard so many different opinions ranging from 'if you've got a good mic technique you don't need to' and 'essential to cut through the mix'. Well I can imagine that it is true in full bands but this just me. Opinions? Incidentally, I'm using a Beta 58 going into a Zed 14 and ending up in DSR112's. I'm also using an SPX990 for effects and I notice that this can apply compression pre or post....would that do? Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: One Horse Town]
      #1039677 - 24/03/13 09:42 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Not a new topic I'm sure so apologies to all ther 'pros'. However, I'm a solo piano/singer act with a few modules - no other instruments involved. Do I need a compressor? I've heard so many different opinions ranging from 'if you've got a good mic technique you don't need to' and 'essential to cut through the mix'. Well I can imagine that it is true in full bands but this just me. Opinions? Incidentally, I'm using a Beta 58 going into a Zed 14 and ending up in DSR112's. I'm also using an SPX990 for effects and I notice that this can apply compression pre or post....would that do? Thanks

A comp can do a lot for your vocal but your going to need a good understanding of how they work otherwise it will down hill from here

Don't go buying those £20 Behringer units lol

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

One Horse Town

Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: TSH-Tim]
      #1039737 - 25/03/13 11:53 AM
Thanks - but I need to know whether the spx990 will suffice bearing in mind it's only me. Also, if it IS worth getting a separate compressor any recommendations - a friend said that the dbx units (approx £100) are fine.

Exalted Wombat

#1039756 - 25/03/13 01:28 PM
Remember a compressor effectively turns up the gain on the quiet bits. Thus encouraging feedback. Which isn't an issue if you do your own compressing by going close in to the mic when singing softly, pull away when loud. With the added bonus of increased bass due to proximity effect when you're making a smaller sound.

You throw away all these control possibilities when using a headset mic. Some of them can be added mechanically. But you'll rarely see a "real" singer using a headset from choice. Unless they're miming :-)

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1039796 - 25/03/13 07:42 PM
Quote Exalted Wombat:

Remember a compressor effectively turns up the gain on the quiet bits. Thus encouraging feedback. Which isn't an issue if you do your own compressing by going close in to the mic when singing softly, pull away when loud. With the added bonus of increased bass due to proximity effect when you're making a smaller sound.

You throw away all these control possibilities when using a headset mic. Some of them can be added mechanically. But you'll rarely see a "real" singer using a headset from choice. Unless they're miming :-)

Or alternatively sing louder or softer

I often use a headset mic and whilst I'm sure the audience would much prefer it if I was miming on occasion, it does force you to use your own voice dynamics more!

I wouldn't say compression in this situation is necessary or desirable.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1039810 - 25/03/13 08:53 PM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

I wouldn't say compression in this situation is necessary or desirable.

Yup. One of my compadres moves between flute and tin whistles on the same mic. The flute is mellow and even, whistles leap from barely audible to excruciating depending on the octave. With repeated application of a heavy stick I might manage to encourage suitable mic technique but a compressor which just about tickles the flute but hammers the higher octave of the whistles makes the whole thing behave nicely.

I love singing into a well designed and properly applied compressor. Dynamics are often made more (melo)dramatic when amplified as opposed to singing acoustically. Good compression levels the playing field but risks losing the dynamics completely if wrongly applied.

If you're not sure then I'd say try a decent condenser mic and see how that changes your approach.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

BigBen36

#1039839 - 26/03/13 12:52 AM
My 2 cents

I have run in to the same problem of compression but in the Music Theater world. Frankly, I have found that compression in a live setting is only good for limiting purposes. It seems that the best use of a compressor is just to just protect speakers and audience from quick harsh sounds (like yelling or screaming in theater). Anything else is going to really mess with your feedback to gain margins.

If you can, go with the dbx unit, they are very nice. Even the automatic settings are decent. I believe many would say it is their go-to for live use at least.

Although I am not a particularly good singer, I can say that good mic technique does take time to learn but its worth it and is always better than throwing a compressor on it. If you are using a compressor from your effects panel on a mixer, just know that most are not very configurable for compression.

Vocal dynamics aren't a bad thing- that's what makes people unique and entertaining.
If you want, you can always play with some delays and reverb to give more depth to your vocals too! good luck sir

Bob Bickerton

Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1039860 - 26/03/13 09:04 AM
Quote shufflebeat:

One of my compadres moves between flute and tin whistles on the same mic. The flute is mellow and even, whistles leap from barely audible to excruciating depending on the octave.

Best whistle I've found for balance between octaves is the Burke 'NARROW' bore D, (just about everything else is shite) but you still need to ride it in and out.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

#1039881 - 26/03/13 11:12 AM
Cheers, Bob. I shall investigate further. I quite like some of the plastic ones myself but to be honest there's something about those crazy little metallic Devil pipes that warms my cockles as it strains my cochlea. A bit like an almost in tune Uillean piper. It's wrong but I like it.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

Bob Bickerton

#1039977 - 26/03/13 06:37 PM
Quote shufflebeat:

Cheers, Bob. I shall investigate further. I quite like some of the plastic ones myself but to be honest there's something about those crazy little metallic Devil pipes that warms my cockles as it strains my cochlea. A bit like an almost in tune Uillean piper. It's wrong but I like it.

Good taste will get you everywhere.........

B

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

_ Six _

#1039982 - 26/03/13 07:06 PM
The TC Helicon vocal effects pedals are very good for musicians and will intelligently 'engineer' your voice as you go leaving you free to concentrate on performance.

They're not cheap but you can grab a bargain every now and then.

Demos on YouTube if you're interested!

damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: _ Six _]
      #1039999 - 26/03/13 07:54 PM
My compressor has a gate, and that's the bit I actually use on the vocals when playing solo piano. It helps reduce the background noise when not singing since otherwise you get a certain amount of keynoise and, as it is hard to get away from your mic playing piano, various other undesirable noises. I also have a TC Electronics FX unit in circuit for a little reverb. The gate is in the insert for my mic while the reverb is on an FX send. I bring that back in through a second mixer channel so I can send it to my monitor as well as FOH.

One Horse Town

#1040343 - 28/03/13 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies - very useful. Elton John's sound tech swears by the original dbx 160 for Ej's vocal (beyond my budget though) so I'm looking at what many consider the next best thing... a 160a.

Sam Spoons

Loc: Manchester UK
      #1040443 - 29/03/13 05:01 PM
+1 to the TC Voicetone Create, Not stupidly expensive (£150ish), has some of the best reverbs I've heard and loads of other useful vocal gadgets.

mojo filters

#1043144 - 13/04/13 02:19 AM
Whilst I can see how one of those Vocalist type pedals are good for adding FX that changes during the set, surely dynamics are best left to FOH?

Even if mixing from stage, dynamic effects such as comp, gates and possibly even reverb are best set at sound check, and with the exception of pulling down the reverb return between songs if talking to audience, should be left to keep GBF constant etc. I haven't heard it for myself yet, but I heard a few horror stories of vocalists using those pedals with terribly mismatched patches, leading to some awful unexpected feedback howling where a patch is engaged mid set.

--------------------
...no one goes home humming the kick drum

Sam Spoons

#1043156 - 13/04/13 09:42 AM
These pedals are like any other vocal fx, used badly they are much worse than no fx but used well can result in a subtle (usually) gloss on the vocal sound. My co singer has good ears and has arrived at a pleasing vocal sound using his VoiceTone Create. I just give him a clean mic input. OTOH, if I'm mixing and not playing I much prefer to take a clean mic feed and add fx on the desk (in fact, with my sound engineer hat on, it's a bit of an insult when a vocalist brings such a toy especially when most have far too much of everything). It's much easier to make the vocal sit in the mix that way.

Dave Rowles

Loc: Isle of Man
      #1043187 - 13/04/13 02:59 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Thanks for all the replies - very useful. Elton John's sound tech swears by the original dbx 160 for Ej's vocal (beyond my budget though) so I'm looking at what many consider the next best thing... a 160a.

The 160a units are good if you can afford it. I've used them on many occasions and they work well.

--------------------
www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Exalted Wombat

Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: Dave Rowles]
      #1043267 - 14/04/13 10:05 AM
Quote Dave Rowles:

Quote One Horse Town:

The 160a units are good if you can afford it. I've used them on many occasions and they work well.

Any suggestions for something very affordable that is 95% as good? It must be out there!

JonSSH

Loc: Yorkshire
      #1043302 - 14/04/13 01:43 PM
Sorry bit late joining this thread....
The compressor in the SPX990 isn't really up to much. I would avoid using in any situation. However a good compressor live is a great benefit. It will help you get more out of a small system by limiting peaks that may distort the input/speaker. It will also help reduce the dynamics smoothing out the sound whilst meaning you can set the level for greatest clarity.
I still use DBX160's as my first choice compressor for live work. They sound great, are simple to use and have easy to read metering. One glance and you can see what you are doing! They also sound good even when working quite hard. they are a bit pricy but you very much get what you pay for...
If you shop around though you can pick up something like a RNC (really nice compressor... yes that is it's name..) for £150..
There is no difference between what works in the studio and what works live... get the best you can... a 160 will set you back about £250 the older the better.....

One Horse Town

Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: JonSSH]
      #1043326 - 14/04/13 07:20 PM
Thanks for that. I had my suspicions about the spx. Someone recommended a BBE maximiser instead a compressor - any thoughts? I'm using Yamaha DSR 112's which claim to have compressor tech. built in....they call it FIR X? Anyone else have a comment about this? I might be able to get away with just these then.

Bob Bickerton

#1043330 - 14/04/13 07:53 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Thanks for that. I had my suspicions about the spx. Someone recommended a BBE maximiser instead a compressor - any thoughts? I'm using Yamaha DSR 112's which claim to have compressor tech. built in....they call it FIR X? Anyone else have a comment about this? I might be able to get away with just these then.

BBE maximisers were used to 'enhance' crappy sounding systems and are rarely used these days. Not sure why you'd use one on a vocal channel. They tend to give an instant wow factor that quickly tires and becomes a yuk factor.

So here's a few questions: When you described your system above, you didn't mention anything about a graphic EQ between your desk and speakers. Do you have one? And what monitoring do you have?

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

#1043380 - 15/04/13 09:40 AM
Do be aware OHT, there is a tendency for us folks to get a little bit sidetracked by the perfectly noble practice of acquiring shiney things. It may be that what you need most is to forget about the details that no-one but another collector will appreciate and just make music with a good, basic system.

It's cheaper, too.

P.S. my default position is I always need a new piece of kit. I get it if I can't think of several good reasons not to. I'm getting better at that, though.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

One Horse Town

#1043419 - 15/04/13 12:54 PM
Thanks Bob
I'm starting out as an Elton John tribute act - solo-just me and a stage piano + motif modules. I've got 3 DSR112's (1 as a monitor) and a DSR118 subwoofer. Overkill I know but the sub was from bankrupt stock and was approx half price. These will run from a Zed 14 desk. The desk and modules etc will be with me on stage as I obviously won't have a sound tech with me. Your comment about the eq interests me given that venues can differ widely and can change when full of bodies. However,unlike the real thing, I'm not playing arenas - this will be weddings and smaller scale stuff. The BBE thing was only an idea - thanks for your advice on this.....as 'shufflebeat' says, one can get a bit unnecessary about boxes etc!

One Horse Town

#1043420 - 15/04/13 12:55 PM
Fully agree with you!

One Horse Town

#1043497 - 15/04/13 06:28 PM
Compressor issues are very complex aren't they? To be honest, for my use, I might not bother with them.

Bob Bickerton

#1043514 - 15/04/13 07:53 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Your comment about the eq interests me given that venues can differ widely and can change when full of bodies. However,unlike the real thing, I'm not playing arenas - this will be weddings and smaller scale stuff.

All the more reason for EQing your system, I never leave the house without a graphic.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

#1043556 - 16/04/13 07:29 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

Quote One Horse Town:

Your comment about the eq interests me given that venues can differ widely and can change when full of bodies. However,unlike the real thing, I'm not playing arenas - this will be weddings and smaller scale stuff.

All the more reason for EQing your system, I never leave the house without a graphic.

Bob

+1

I do get some odd looks at the swimming baths but it's worth it just to know you're prepared.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

One Horse Town

#1043635 - 16/04/13 01:04 PM
Bob, given the gear I've already described and the fact that it's just me playing small venues/events, do you still recommend an equaliser? If so, can you recommend one? Thanks

One Horse Town

#1043636 - 16/04/13 01:07 PM
Shufflebeat :I do get some odd looks at the swimming baths but it's worth it just to know you're prepared.

Bit graphic?

Edited by One Horse Town (16/04/13 01:09 PM)

Sam Spoons

#1043651 - 16/04/13 03:20 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Shufflebeat :I do get some odd looks at the swimming baths but it's worth it just to know you're prepared.

Bit graphic?

It's when he goes to the pub afterwards and gets totally parametric.....

shufflebeat

Re: Compression on Live Vocal new [Re: Sam Spoons]
      #1043671 - 16/04/13 06:18 PM
Quote Sam Spoons:

Quote One Horse Town:

Bit graphic?

It's when he goes to the pub afterwards and gets totally parametric.....

It's been a while since I was completely off my phase.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

One Horse Town

#1043675 - 16/04/13 06:59 PM
Mummy.....please make the funny men go away!

Seriously guys, I'm getting cross. Over! Ok?

Calling Bob or anyone can I have some advice please?

Bob Bickerton

#1043680 - 16/04/13 07:49 PM
So the basic concept of graphic EQ across your system is to 'tune' the system to the room as each room (and system) presents its own sonic character.

There are several ways of doing this (you can search for more info on this). A quick and handy way I use (though you'd need to practice this) is to play a well recorded track through your system and then tweak each band on the graphic to suit. I find it better to use tracks which have a full range of frequencies, but also enough 'space' to hear what's happening as you tweak. I tend to use the second two tracks off Herbie Hancock's Gershwin album.

As to graphics, it depends to some extent on budget, but one of my favourites is the Rane DEQ60, no longer made but you might pick one up second hand. Any 32 band graphic should do it and DBX are fairly popular.

Hope that helps.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

#1043694 - 16/04/13 09:58 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Seriously guys, I'm getting cross. Over! Ok?

Aww, bless!

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

One Horse Town

#1043727 - 17/04/13 08:04 AM
Thanks Bob

One Horse Town

#1043728 - 17/04/13 08:04 AM
Thanks Dad.

shufflebeat

#1043749 - 17/04/13 09:28 AM
Quote One Horse Town:

Thanks Dad.

Are you trying to tell me something?

Anyway, aside from all the hilarity...

I'd consider, as Bob suggests, a basic graphic an essential part of any system but you still haven't outlined the problem you're trying to solve.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

One Horse Town

#1043806 - 17/04/13 01:12 PM
Shufflebeat:"I'd consider, as Bob suggests, a basic graphic an essential part of any system but you still haven't outlined the problem you're trying to solve.

Well, it's not a 'problem' as such. This post started with me asking whether I needed a compressor given the performing/equipment details already given here. The consensus appears to be don't bother in my case (BBE suggestion even worse!). So, you and Bob seem to agree that an eq would be a better bet. However, as I've said already, it's just me and a piano (+modules) going through a Zed 14 and into Yamaha DSR 112's and DSR 118 sub. I understand that eq's are useful for dealing with venue-specific issues but again,it's just me....and a decent mixer/pa. Do I 'really' need to spend more money? By the way,if I do, what are Behringer FBQ 1502's like. Seems to get good comments, apart from one about it getting very hot.

shufflebeat

#1043827 - 17/04/13 02:53 PM
I usually carry a graphic with me when I go somewhere new. I sometimes struggle to convince other people of their usefulness unless I can point to their mixing desk and show that all the channel EQs are doing the same thing, cutting the same frequency. If this is the case then it's usually obvious to all but the most dense that if that task is being undertaken by a dedicated unit (voila!) then the channel EQs could be employed as they were intended, to tailor that individual signal.

If your EQs are all cutting, for instance 400hz by a little then you might invest, otherwise with your setup the benefits might be minimal, particularly if you're not sure what you're listening to.

In principle any decent graphic will be better suited to fine tuning the above system because they are better at focussing in on specific frequency bands compared to channel EQ but it's possible to cause problems just as easily with them. A gentle notch in the right place usually suffices for me.

Behringer stuff will probably work OK til it doesn't. Bob's suggestion might be cheaper in the long run.

Hope that's of some use.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

One Horse Town

#1043859 - 17/04/13 06:43 PM
Thanks Shufflebeat - advice much appreciated.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 11408

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media