Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mike Sullivan

Loc: Ashland, KY, USA
dB DVX versus QSC KW
      #1039851 - 26/03/13 06:27 AM
I've been set on a QSC system for my next rig (4 KW153's over 4 KW181's, eventually to double subs up for outdoors) but the dealer I've been talking to has been speaking highly of the DVX line from dB Technologies. Not alot of reviews on them, but he claims they would work a lot better in the long run versus the KW system (namely 4 DVX D15's over 4 SUB 18D's or S10's) for just a little more $$ (budget is tight, but it can be adjusted)...Here is how I've basically been told and see it...

QSC KW: Common audio brand, great quality speakers, awesome sound quality, cheaper, plus a 3-way top versus 2-way. Cons to be told are the HF drivers do not throw as far, being a 1.75" driver

dB DVX: Not as well known, but is renowned to those that have heard of/used, just as good sound quality, lighter, bigger HF driver (2.5"). Cons are a bit more expensive, and a two-way design vs. three way.

Either way I'm good for, just would like some helpful advice from those that have actually heard them. These will be used in various indoor (bar-sized) and outdoor (small festival, block party-size) shows, both live sound (mostly rock, country/southern rock, and metal) and DJ use (mainly Top40/club style stuff, the occasional hardcore/techno gig here and there)...I'd like some opinions from those that have heard both. I'm going to try and get the D15 shipped to try out (dealer is in CA and there's no local dealers to where I live) and compare them to a KW153 in store somewhere close by (close by being 3 hours away though...lol). Thanks guys!

--------------------
Ice Cold Productions Live Sound & Lighting
Just your average small town sound guy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
seablade

Re: dB DVX versus QSC KW new [Re: Mike Sullivan]
      #1039879 - 26/03/13 11:08 AM
dB Technologies is the cheaper brand from RCF. They tend to be good buys for the money, though I haven't heard the DVX line, I do have an Opera setup from them at one campus of a couple of tops and subs that did very well for the money I spent on it. Truth be told I am a little surprised the DVX line weighs in more expensive than the KW line.

In either case however, you should demo them both, preferably side by side, and make your own call. If your dealer can't provide that demo, then you may need to go through a different dealer.

Seablade

Mike Sullivan

Re: dB DVX versus QSC KW new [Re: seablade]
      #1040221 - 27/03/13 11:25 PM
My dealer is located across the country, and he can get me the D15 to demo, but the nearest place I can get a KW to listen to is probably going to be 3 hours away. I'm leaning towards the 4 D15 or D12's over 4 SUB 18D's, will be a bit lighter and easier to set together. Just sucks that not many people have reviews on them, that's kind of making me hesitant...

--------------------

TSH-Tim

Loc: Guildford
      #1040381 - 28/03/13 11:18 PM
We have 30 + boxes of the T12 on demo over the next few months we're only in Surrey if anyone fancy a listen (we dont't sell the stuff so this isn't a sales pitch) its just a friendly offer from one sound hire company to another and as it goes we also stock the RCF HDL system which is already ours so it will be interesting to see / hear the difference.....

The DM15's are pretty nice !

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Mike Sullivan

Re: dB DVX versus QSC KW new [Re: TSH-Tim]
      #1040708 - 01/04/13 05:23 AM
Quote TSH-Tim:

We have 30 + boxes of the T12 on demo over the next few months we're only in Surrey if anyone fancy a listen (we dont't sell the stuff so this isn't a sales pitch) its just a friendly offer from one sound hire company to another and as it goes we also stock the RCF HDL system which is already ours so it will be interesting to see / hear the difference.....

The DM15's are pretty nice !

If I was there I would listen to it, just to. Luckily, I know of a guy only two hours away from where I'm at in the States with a T12 system. Plus one local company is planning on upgrading to dB tech. Care to elaborate on "pretty nice"? It would be appreciated!

--------------------

TSH-Tim

#1040921 - 02/04/13 02:39 PM
They are mighty loud for the size of monitor but more than that they still sound clean even in limit. Powercon in & out make powering the monitors very easy and keeps the stage looking nice and neat.... also if you run out of FOH cabinets just throw one of these up on a stick and your away

Another thing is there customer service is faultless (in the UK anyway)

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Mike Sullivan

Re: dB DVX versus QSC KW new [Re: TSH-Tim]
      #1041781 - 06/04/13 11:19 PM
Update: I got a chance to go to a local Guitar Center (2 hours away...blah) and managed to demo two of the QSC KW153's over 2 KW181's. They are definitely great speakers, better than my EV's for sure...my EV's would be limiting like hell where the QSC's have plenty of headroom to keep cranking them up. One pair per side of each would be great for most stuff I'm going to do. I'm going to take a chance with them, but I may end up getting the DVX's in to at least demo and make my choice.

Oh, and a video of the demo, the only one I managed to grab...was having too much fun playing different tunes. The one I was playing then was a live recording of one of the bands I run around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw9wYzOBWzg

--------------------

TSH-Tim

#1041783 - 07/04/13 12:03 AM
You do rally need to hear DVX

--------------------
PA Hire Surrey
Lighting Hire Surrey

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4383

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media