Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
WiredUp

Smaller PA speaker with good bass?
      #1057131 - 12/07/13 06:44 PM
Hi guys, I have some Yamaha AX15 Speakers See Here and they sound great. They are designed to work with my Yamaha emx512 PA (yamaha recommends them) but the thing is they are just too big and heavy for my liking.
The specs are:

Trapezoidal bass reflex cabinet.
1 x 1/4" phone jack, and 1 x Neutrick Speakon NL4MP.
1" voice coil compression driver.
15" bass.
800W max output.
35mm pole mount socket.
65Hz-20KHz frequency response.
98dB SPL 1W@1m.
8 ohms nominal impedance.
Carpet covering.
Metal handle.
Weight: 21.5 Kg.
Size(WxHxL): 485 x 668 x 375 mm.

So what I'm wondering is could there be a smaller lighter speaker than can delivery a similar sound?
I was looking at HK Audio PR:0 8 See Here
On the specs for frequency response it says:

Frequency response +/- 3dB: 89Hz to 19kHz
Frequency response -10 dB: 63 Hz - 19 kHz

I assume the top is the tweeter and bottom the bass driver?
But what I don't understand is on their next model up, the pr:o 10 which has a 10" bass driver I assume, it says it only goes down to 78hz, yet its a bigger speaker! I don't understand.
See Here
The same is true of the next size up the pr:0 12.

Apart from that does anyone have any other speaker suggestions? This is for an Acoustic Band and although my PA can do 500w a side and the Yamaha speakers can handle it I'll never need that much juice with so many miced instruments.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Sam Spoons

Loc: Manchester UK
Re: Smaller PA speaker with good bass? new [Re: WiredUp]
      #1057141 - 12/07/13 09:55 PM
By definition, smaller speakers will deliver less bass. However the better smaller active boxes (Yamaha DXR10s etc) can produce decent bass from a small box with their DSP systems. It all depends how loud you need to go (big boxes are going to give louder bass, you can't cheat the laws of physics).

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
      #1057177 - 13/07/13 07:44 AM
+1 for DXRs... I have the DXR8s... just don't expect your trouser-legs to flap in the breeze...

WiredUp

#1057212 - 13/07/13 12:51 PM
DXR8 Look good but do they make a passive version?

OneEng

Loc: MI
      #1057215 - 13/07/13 01:17 PM
Quote WiredUp:

No, but what advantage would the passive version have for you?

Modern powered speakers aren't just an amp in a box with a speaker. They are a comprehensive speaker management system custom setup by the engineers who designed the speaker.

Think of it as having a DriveRack PA, a power amp, and your speaker all in one box.

It is unlikely in the extreme that most of us would be able to match the sound quality of a powered speaker with external tools.

The reason the DXR8 can sound so full is that the processing inside the box has been setup to maximize the output of the speaker. It is also fully protected with internal limiting and thermal management to prevent damage to the speaker.

WiredUp

Re: Smaller PA speaker with good bass? new [Re: OneEng]
      #1057226 - 13/07/13 02:30 PM
Quote OneEng:

Quote WiredUp:

Modern powered speakers aren't just an amp in a box with a speaker. They are a comprehensive speaker management system custom setup by the engineers who designed the speaker.

Think of it as having a DriveRack PA, a power amp, and your speaker all in one box.

It is unlikely in the extreme that most of us would be able to match the sound quality of a powered speaker with external tools.

The reason the DXR8 can sound so full is that the processing inside the box has been setup to maximize the output of the speaker. It is also fully protected with internal limiting and thermal management to prevent damage to the speaker.

Ok that makes sense but I already have a 500/500 watt PA to drive the speakers. Powered speakers are going to be a lot more costly plus running power to them is a hassle. Somebody must make a passive speaker that can go down to 65hz and not be in a huge heavy box.

OneEng

#1057251 - 13/07/13 06:31 PM
Quote WiredUp:

Quote OneEng:

Quote WiredUp:

Ok that makes sense but I already have a 500/500 watt PA to drive the speakers. Powered speakers are going to be a lot more costly plus running power to them is a hassle. Somebody must make a passive speaker that can go down to 65hz and not be in a huge heavy box.

I see. What is your budget?

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1057252 - 13/07/13 06:36 PM
I've been impressed by the bass response of my 12 in passive monitors that can be PA speakers too. I don't know what your budget is, but I like these boxes ... been using them as mostly monitors and sometimes PA, for a few years now. They can take a lot of power, and sound good.

Logic LM12

--------------------
Facebok Page for acoustic music PA-ing in smaller venues

Sam Spoons

#1057259 - 13/07/13 08:04 PM
The problem you have is that a small speaker is less efficient in the bass than a larger speaker so to get down to 65 Hz within the -10 or -3 dB spec you have to limit the higher frequencies so that the low frequency falls within the -10 dB band. The speakers you've been looking at will go down to 65 Hz, they just won't produce the same levels of 65 Hz than the bigger speakers. I'm guessing (sorry, deducing ) here but I suspect that the quicker bass roll of in the bigger speakers you linked to may be to do with maximising the SPL available so they can claim them to be louder than the competition.

The answer is to take your PA to your nearest dealer who has decent demo facilities and try some smaller speakers alongside your present Yamahas to see if they do the business for you (I'd also audition an appropriate active box just to satisfy yourself that they won't do the job better than the passives.... ignore this if you definitely can't afford actives as once you've heard them you'll want them)

Edited by Sam Spoons (13/07/13 08:04 PM)

OneEng

Re: Smaller PA speaker with good bass? new [Re: Sam Spoons]
      #1057276 - 14/07/13 01:26 AM
Quote Sam Spoons:

The problem you have is that a small speaker is less efficient in the bass than a larger speaker so to get down to 65 Hz within the -10 or -3 dB spec you have to limit the higher frequencies so that the low frequency falls within the -10 dB band. The speakers you've been looking at will go down to 65 Hz, they just won't produce the same levels of 65 Hz than the bigger speakers. I'm guessing (sorry, deducing ) here but I suspect that the quicker bass roll of in the bigger speakers you linked to may be to do with maximising the SPL available so they can claim them to be louder than the competition.

The answer is to take your PA to your nearest dealer who has decent demo facilities and try some smaller speakers alongside your present Yamahas to see if they do the business for you (I'd also audition an appropriate active box just to satisfy yourself that they won't do the job better than the passives.... ignore this if you definitely can't afford actives as once you've heard them you'll want them)

Sam pretty much nailed it. +1

dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1057399 - 14/07/13 10:20 PM
I would definitely try to audition speakers. I'm glad I did when I recently upgraded my system!!

The new Yamaha DXR and DSR speakers are very impressive. I have the DXR15's and they have amazing bass for a pair of pole mounted full range speakers. The Yamaha DXR12's or DSR12's would definitely be worth listening to! I've also heard good things about the RCF HD12a's and FBT ProMaxx 12a's but have not tried them personally. I'm not sure that I would go smaller than a 12" speaker if you want bass.

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

Sam Spoons

#1057439 - 15/07/13 09:27 AM
I was just re-reading the first post here, Weight is an issue for the OP and I was concerned that decent actives may still be a bit heavy. His current speakers weigh 21.5 kg, Yamaha DXR10 weighs only 14.6kg and are much smaller so no issue there.

I listened to several 10 and 12" actives before settling on QSC K12 for tops and Yamaha DXR10s for monitors/small rig. I commented on most of them in this thread http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LIVE&Number=1052836& Searchpage=2&Main=1052247&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post1052836

dickiefunk

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1057451 - 15/07/13 10:31 AM
The fbt promaxx 12a weighs 15.1kg and the rcf hd12a weighs 16.7kg. I would consider this extremely light for any speaker regardless of whether it's passive or active. One of the higher end rigs I've used has passive 12" tops that weigh 48kg each!!!

--------------------
www.richardpenrose.com

WiredUp

#1057453 - 15/07/13 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I think I'm starting to get the jist of it. Lots to research now

Sam Spoons

#1057481 - 15/07/13 02:01 PM
Another small piece of info, your amp only gives 350 watts max into 8 ohms (as your present speakers are rated) so that should give a max spl of around 123dB.

If you decide to stick with your mixer/amp remember it has speaker protection built in for the Concert Club range speakers so you may like to consider a pair of BR12M's (or BR10's though they are not as versatile as they don't have an angled back for monitor duties) which you could use for main FOH on smaller gigs or monitors while using the 15s for FOH on bigger gigs. The mixer allows you to assign the power amps to either stereo FOH or mono FOH and monitors, you'd gain a few extra watts running two speakers on each output because the load impedance comes down to 4 ohms.

Edited by Sam Spoons (15/07/13 02:03 PM)

WiredUp

Re: Smaller PA speaker with good bass? new [Re: Sam Spoons]
      #1057518 - 15/07/13 06:31 PM
Thanks Sam, you've given me lots to think about and actually today I was thinking the powered speaker option might be the way to go. I have a spirit FX8 sitting around doing nothing so maybe using that and the powered speakers rather than the Yammy box might be a smarter move, certainly a lot more channels on the FX8 and tape outs too for recording. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Sam Spoons

#1057527 - 15/07/13 08:09 PM
Give my comments on the other thread (regarding specific speakers) a read, and also others opinions in the same thread, I gave some a very brief listen, relying on first impressions.

If you have a small budget I'd say you must listen to the Alto Truesonic range, they are remarkably good for the price and extremely light, I found myself able to afford better and bought a couple of Yamaha DXR10s (at twice the price) but I also have a TS110A and will probably buy at least one more later in the year.

Definitely listen and buy what you like the sound of, all the speakers discussed on here are good sounding but all are different and while one will probably suit your sound better than the others non will disappoint.

BTW the FX8 is a nice desk, I have been a Soundcraft fan for years (though I don't own one at present). You could end up with a very nice, flexible system here.

Good luck

OneEng

#1057544 - 15/07/13 11:23 PM
@WiredUp,

What kind of music are you doing? What size of crowd?

WiredUp

Re: Smaller PA speaker with good bass? new [Re: OneEng]
      #1057590 - 16/07/13 10:43 AM
Quote OneEng:

@WiredUp,

Acoustic music, Acoustic Guitar, Flute, Bodhran, etc.
I have an acoustic amp, mini mixer for small gigs but I'd say usual crowd would be under 100.
Bigger venues have their own PA's so for me its about clarity and not breaking my back. I love the sound of the Yammy's but I struggle to move them and putting them on the poles.

The DXR10's seem about the right weight.

OneEng

#1057740 - 16/07/13 11:51 PM
Quote WiredUp:

Quote OneEng:

@WiredUp,

Acoustic music, Acoustic Guitar, Flute, Bodhran, etc.
I have an acoustic amp, mini mixer for small gigs but I'd say usual crowd would be under 100.
Bigger venues have their own PA's so for me its about clarity and not breaking my back. I love the sound of the Yammy's but I struggle to move them and putting them on the poles.

The DXR10's seem about the right weight.

I would go give the DXR12 and DXR10 a listen (and a lift) to see which one fits your needs best. The trade-off is going to be weight vs. bottom.

I am looking forward to hearing what you end up with

Oh, and the FX8 is a wonderful little mixer. I think this is definitely your best bet.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4720

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media