Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
24-Track Recorder Anyone?
      #1090511 - 24/02/14 07:50 PM
Just been poking about looking at details for the Cymatic LR-16 and discovered this:

Cymatic 24-track with balanced I/O

It'll be interesting to see the price-point...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: Mike Stranks]
      #1090523 - 24/02/14 10:08 PM
Interesting. Wonder if you can record arm single tracks for overdubs on this one. Hope so...

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1090574 - 25/02/14 09:22 AM
According to Some Bloke on The Internet, they're aiming to bring it to market at $999. Which would be, what, maybe £699 over here? That'd put the cat among the pigeons.

Sam Spoons

Loc: Manchester UK
      #1090586 - 25/02/14 10:38 AM
In my experience, if it's $999 over the pond it'll be £999 over here :headband:

With the new crop of digital live desks with multitrack recording onboard (X32, Qu16/24 etc apart from the big stuff like the iLive) I'm not sure there's much need for live MTRs any more.

I have a Mackie SDR24 which cost me around £350 with looms and drives. Great machine if a little long in the tooth. May be selling though (along with my A&H GL2200 and a few bits of outboard) to fund a new digital live desk (which, being one of those mentioned above, will fulfil my modest recording requirements).

Edited by Sam Spoons (25/02/14 10:41 AM)

Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: Sam Spoons]
      #1090600 - 25/02/14 12:33 PM
Quote Sam Spoons:

In my experience, if it's $999 over the pond it'll be £999 over here :headband:

With the new crop of digital live desks with multitrack recording onboard (X32, Qu16/24 etc apart from the big stuff like the iLive) I'm not sure there's much need for live MTRs any more.

I have a Mackie SDR24 which cost me around £350 with looms and drives. Great machine if a little long in the tooth. May be selling though (along with my A&H GL2200 and a few bits of outboard) to fund a new digital live desk (which, being one of those mentioned above, will fulfil my modest recording requirements).

Yup! I tend to agree...

The obvious way to go if you're doing lots of live-sound and want the occasional live recording is to go with one of the digital desks and add-on the comparatively few bits that are needed to make your multitrack. (In some cases, very few bits indeed!)

But my recent illness has caused me to take stock somewhat. If I'm brutally honest with myself the live work is slowly disappearing - save for one artist for whom I'm live-sound tech of choice - whereas ensemble recording is slowly increasing...

That development doesn't bother me particularly as I'm finding the carting about of heavy speakers et al less and less attractive as I get older. But it does mean that my current gear-set isn't totally suited to what I'm now doing. Hence the perusal of the LR-16 and the discover of this new 24-track. The end result MIGHT be a reversion to a good analogue desk where the pres are of good quality and the purchase of one of the several standalone recorders. My current digital live desk has lots of features which I scarcely use and 'add-on' recording necessitates lots of splitters, extra preamps etc.

Of course, my requirements are very specific, but I think there is still a niche market for such devices.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
      #1090623 - 25/02/14 02:19 PM
Quote Mike Stranks:

I think there is still a niche market for such devices.

If they were to do one with record-arm per track, as on the older hard disk recorders, I don't even think the market would be that niche. While I definitely want a computer when it comes to mixing, I'd love to ditch my computer for recording sessions. iZ are still in business... but it would be nice to have a compact option that didn't cost £thousands.

The Korff
Loose Cannon (Reviews Editor)

Loc: The Wrong Precinct
Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1090626 - 25/02/14 02:26 PM
This new Cymatic thing does, apparently, work as an interface with iOS devices — so hook it up to an iPad and you'll have a 24-IO recorder with a touchscreen interface.

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: The Korff]
      #1090629 - 25/02/14 02:43 PM
You can get the 16-track thing for just over £300, so the 24-track should be down to about £600 by Christmas.

Remember that it also has its own built in virtual mixer (PC only) for low latency monitoring and will run at 96kHz. This could act as a front-end for any DAW, so dig your old analogue desks out, plug in a couple of effects for some motivational reverb and you have all you need.

p.dakin

Loc: Scotland
Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1090641 - 25/02/14 03:03 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

You can get the 16-track thing for just over £300, so the 24-track should be down to about £600 by Christmas.

Remember that it also has its own built in virtual mixer (PC only) for low latency monitoring and will run at 96kHz. This could act as a front-end for any DAW, so dig your old analogue desks out, plug in a couple of effects for some motivational reverb and you have all you need.

Has anyone any experience of the 16 playback device? Looks quite cool

EDIT: I see that it is also new and not available yet.

Edited by Ian Hamilton (25/02/14 03:09 PM)

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1090645 - 25/02/14 03:21 PM
I meant the 16 in 2 out thing, not the playback thing.

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: 24-Track Recorder Anyone? new [Re: The Red Bladder]
      #1090895 - 26/02/14 10:06 PM
Quote The Red Bladder:

I meant the 16 in 2 out thing, not the playback thing.

The playback thing (LP-16) sounds as though it might be just what I'm looking for. I'm in a 3 piece band (vocals, guitar / vocals, bass) using backing tracks played from an iPad (backing on RH, click on LH). Just having a handful of tracks would be a help, having simultaneous midi playback for controlling lights would be really interesting.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1155

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media