Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
gogi

Hooking up a DBX 223XL crossover to my mixer/ subs/tops
      #1098672 - 19/04/14 07:49 PM
Can someone give me a simple step by step process to hook up a DBX 223XL x-over to my mixer (via ST OUT left and right?) and on to an amp for the pair of top speakers (HF) and another amp for the pair of subwoofers (LF).I want to use in stereo 2 way mode.

I was not successful when I tried it in stereo 2 way mode . I know the labels in front ; and at the bottom refer to stereo 2 way mode while the labels at the rear panel ; and top; relate to stereo 2 way mode. I am not interested in the mono 3 way mode so pls don't bother explaining those to me.

I hooked up the L/ MONO 1/4" plug from my mixer to the rear of channel 1 of my mixer. I enabled the 40Hz low cut filter. I selected a crossover frequency of 100Hz from the front and ensured the Low/High switch at the rear was at X1

On the rear, I engaged the LF SUM and assumed only one output (i.e. channel 1 ) will send LF to both power amps for both subs (needed to patch from one ch 1 of the dedicated amp for Left sub to channel 2 of dedicated amp for Right sub.

On the rear , I engaged Stereo. I assumed this will send Stereo signals out of channels 1 and 2 outputs from my x-over to channels 1 and 2 inputs of my dedicated amp for LEFT main speaker and RIGHT main speaker.

I played with the input gain of the x-ver ; and output gains for Low and High respectively. I did not get the subs/tops to work.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Hooking up a DBX 223XL crossover to my mixer/ subs/tops new [Re: gogi]
      #1098730 - 20/04/14 01:52 PM
Main out (L) from the mixer to input (L) on the xover.

Xover output (L - low) to input (L) on your subs power amp

Xover output (L - high) to input (L) on your mid/tops power amp

Then repeat for the right hand side.

BTW, what's the mixer and are your speakers active or passive?

--------------------
Dear Mr God,
We called but you were out - B Dylan Deliveries (Intntl)

gogi

#1098770 - 20/04/14 06:37 PM
Thanks. My mixer is a Yamaha 5016 powered mixer. My speakers are passive.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1098787 - 20/04/14 09:34 PM
Quote gogi:

In that case you cannot use a crossover as it's built for line level signal, not speaker level, and you'll probably damage it if you try to use it that way.

You could use the stereo out jacks of the mixer (on top panel) to feed the crossover. You would then need to send those signals to separate amps to feed the speakers.

If you happen to use monitor wedges currently that use separate amps, you could potentially drive these from the 5016 ( there's a switch on the top of the mixer that sends the AUX1 and AUX2 sends to the internal amplifier. That would release your monitor amps for front of house duties - PROVIDED they're powerful enough (and you set the power output on the 5016 to match the monitor speakers). You'd still probably need another amp to run your subs.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

shufflebeat

#1098838 - 21/04/14 02:11 PM
Quote gogi:

Ok, I didn't see that one coming.

However, one of my regular setups is a band with a powered Dynacord desk and active speakers. The amps on the desk are not used.

I've had a swift glance at the literature for the Yamaha 5016 and it's not 100% clear what the 'sub out' is for, whether it's a sub-mix output or a mono LPF'd signal to feed active subs (I suspect the latter) which would be your best bet IMHO.

As usual Dangerous Bob is spot on.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Hooking up a DBX 223XL crossover to my mixer/ subs/tops new [Re: shufflebeat]
      #1098904 - 21/04/14 07:57 PM
I think I read in the manual that the sub outs were pre fade main stereo, so not so good. Some unusual turns of phrase in the Yamaha manual, not sure if that's usual!

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Sam Spoons

Loc: Manchester UK
      #1099085 - 22/04/14 09:09 PM
According to the manual you can switch the aux outputs to feed the built in amps, do that for your monitor sends and run the FOH from the main/stereo outs (on top of the desk) as Bob and Shuff suggest. Ignore the "sub" outs as they appear to be a "sub group" not a "sub woofer" output (my Soundcraft SX20 had a similar pair of "sub" outs, the Mackie VLZ range have an "alt/control room" out in a similar place in the signal path), the crossover will deal with that anyway.

shufflebeat

#1099324 - 24/04/14 01:19 AM
passive subs with passive crossover might be feasible if the combined impedance of sub/top is acceptable to your powered desk . Not the most precise of arrangements but uses what you've got most efficiently.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

shufflebeat

Re: Hooking up a DBX 223XL crossover to my mixer/ subs/tops new [Re: Sam Spoons]
      #1099326 - 24/04/14 01:32 AM
Quote Sam Spoons:

my Soundcraft SX20 had a similar pair of "sub" outs...

Yes, but it also had mix/submix buttons on each channel and a pair of master faders and a "sub to mix" button that made possible several "live to broadcast" radio shows for me that would otherwise have been trouser-browning events.

--------------------
Dear Mr God,

gogi

#1099418 - 24/04/14 07:51 PM
so ultimately, where do I tap my output from the 5016 mixer from; and send into the crossover? The options are either aux1/aux 2 jacks or ST SUB OUT jacks or ST OUT jack?

By the way, I use a dedicated amp between the crossover and a pair of tops (HF out from xover) and another dedicated amp between the crossover and pair of subs (LF out from xover). Thanks for the updates...just want to know where to start the chain from in the 5016.

Sam Spoons

Loc: Manchester UK
      #1099428 - 24/04/14 09:41 PM
The Stereo Out jacks.

gogi

#1099583 - 25/04/14 09:07 PM
Might thanks, Sam

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1102

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media