Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Alec7string

What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live?
      #1106141 - 02/06/14 09:09 PM
Hi all,

I want to find a piece of equipment that will allow me to record a multi-layered track to play live along with my band. Ideally I would want the drummer to have an in-ear monitor in which one side is a click track and the other is the track the audience will hear, and it's somewhat important that he be able to independently adjust the volume on each side of the headset.

Also important: I want to be able to pre-record these tracks in my guitarist's home studio prior to the performance and simply upload it to the hardware I take onstage (via usb or perhaps an sd card, etc). This is in contrast to the idea of doing the actual recording ON the pedal I would be purchasing, which I do not want to do. So I would need enough memory to store tracks for a couple hours of music in high quality.

I've been told that many multi-effect guitar pedals would be able to achieve this, but I admittedly don't know enough about this stuff to really know how to tell if they can do what I need.

I also have been told that simply hooking up a laptop could achieve this, but I'm reluctant to take my laptop around to shows for the safety of my laptop, and I also don't think that sounds as reliable as a multi-effect pedal.

The VS-100 seems to have everything I need for this, but it's a little out of my price range (ideally I'd like to spend no more than $250 or so). I also was reading about the Digitech RP355 pedal. Anybody know if that pedal could satisfy what I've outlined here?

Thanks to all who try to help me out here!

-Alec

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Alec7string]
      #1106142 - 02/06/14 09:15 PM
Hey Alec, welcome to the forum.

Quote Alec7string:

I want to find a piece of equipment that will allow me to record a multi-layered track to play live along with my band...I've been told that many multi-effect guitar pedals would be able to achieve this

Recording aside, how many tracks do you need to play...?

Quote Alec7string:

Ideally I would want the drummer to have an in-ear monitor in which one side is a click track and the other is the track the audience will hear

I'm surprised how often people adopt a one-sided approach. Seems popular enough, but for me, that would be the mix from hell.

Sam Spoons

Loc: Manchester UK
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Alec7string]
      #1106155 - 02/06/14 10:45 PM
Any stereo device will replay a mono backing track and a click (a mix down of the track on one side and the click on the other) and will prove cheaper and more robust than using a laptop on stage. It also allows you to have a cheap backup in case it fails. I'd start with an iPod/iPad or what ever you have for your primary playback device and a CD as backup. Guitar pedals are not ideal for this job as they are designed to do something else. if you allow plenty of pre-roll and post-roll your drummer should have no problem starting and stopping tracks (or use an iPod touch and 'play on cue' or some other app to play the tracks one at a time).

Edited by Sam Spoons (02/06/14 10:47 PM)

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1106168 - 03/06/14 04:15 AM
What Sam said. I use 'Play On Cue' on an iPod and 'Stage Traxx' on an iPad (Great App) and operate everything with an 'Air-turn' bluetooth pedal.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1106171 - 03/06/14 06:01 AM
Quote Bob Bickerton:

What Sam said. I use 'Play On Cue' on an iPod and 'Stage Traxx' on an iPad (Great App) and operate everything with an 'Air-turn' bluetooth pedal.

Bob

Ditto. Sound Cue on iPad, Play on Cue or Sound Cue Lite on iPod (Sound Cue lite only has two pages of 12 songs each). I'll have a look at Stage Traxx.

I've just moved up to a Makie DL806 which allows me to mix and playback with an iPad but that's a bit pricy. Previously I used an Edirol UA25 USB interface (which I already had) via a camera kit. This allowed me to handle the L&R channels as two mono tracks into the analogue mixer. Click on left into stage monitors only, backing on right into monitors and FOH.

Beat Poet

Loc: Hertfordshire, UK
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: BJG145]
      #1109255 - 24/06/14 01:46 PM
Quote BJG145:

I'm surprised how often people adopt a one-sided approach. Seems popular enough, but for me, that would be the mix from hell.

It can be hell, though I found a way round it by bouncing down the backing tracks with certain elements of the music panned only 98% to the PA side. That way I can hear bits of synth or whatever I like from the backing track in my ears, excellent for gigs where there may only be one monitor.

--------------------
Do you need real drum tracks? http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk/

Exalted Wombat

Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Beat Poet]
      #1109263 - 24/06/14 02:28 PM
Sounds like you need any stereo music player (an iPod?) plus a very basic mixer - the sort of thing Behringer does for under £50.

Mix down the backing track to mono in your studio, put it on one side of the stereo, clix on the other. Dump it to the iPod.

On stage, feed the iPod into two channels of the mixer.

Take a direct out of the backing track to your main PA. Let the drummer mix and pan the two channels as he prefers and use the headphone output.

Setter

Loc: Tesside UK
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Exalted Wombat]
      #1109697 - 27/06/14 08:12 AM
Play on Cue says it's not compatible with iOS 7. What do people use with an new iPhone?

MarkPAman

Loc: Somewhere between Portsmouth &...
      #1109726 - 27/06/14 10:42 AM
PlayFadePause

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Setter]
      #1109730 - 27/06/14 10:56 AM
Quote Setter:

Play on Cue says it's not compatible with iOS 7. What do people use with an new iPhone?

Works fine on my iPod touch in OS7.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Setter

Loc: Tesside UK
Re: What are my options for playing prerecorded tracks live? new [Re: Bob Bickerton]
      #1109830 - 28/06/14 07:57 AM
Thanks both!

J

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1352

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media