Main Forums >> Live Sound & Performance
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
JordanE

EQ guides and tips?
      #998627 - 18/07/12 11:17 PM
Hi,

I am looking to see if anyone happens to have any links or information for EQing? I am starting a new gig soon and one of my main jobs is to EQ. EQ is not really my strong suite and I wanted to start learning more about it. Does anyone have any links where I can read more about it and hopefully get some better knowledge on it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Mike Stranks

Loc: Oxford, UK
Re: EQ guides and tips? new [Re: JordanE]
      #998682 - 19/07/12 09:12 AM
Hi Jordan

IMHO the most important thing about EQ is to train your ears and brain as to what frequencies need some attention. THIS is a useful tool to get some practice.

Any of the standard books on sound recording/live-sound - eg Paul White's offerings - have useful sections on EQ and explain all about shelving, variable Q, swept mids, high-pass filters etc etc etc.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #998739 - 19/07/12 12:46 PM
There are three main aspects of EQing that spring to mind.

One is EQing a system to a room.

Second is EQing monitors for foldback

Third is EQing individual elements (channels) to make them sound right.

It's a hugely complicated topic that can't be covered in a post.

Have a read of Hugh's very informative article Here

But here's a few thoughts to get you going.

Room EQ: if you have access to a system and a 32 band graphic EQ, play some of your favorite tracks through the system and then bring up each band on the EQ to see how it effects the sound. This is now my preferred way of EQing a system. I have a handful of tracks I know inside out that cover a full frequency range. If they send good through the system, the system will sound good full stop!

Monitor EQ: is often a compromise and a means of (often almost deaf) performers hearing themselves on stage. Feedback can be an issue so it's a good idea to be able to recognize frequencies as they feedback.

Channel EQ: the first step in adjusting the EQ of a channel is to know what the instrument should/could sound like. So often I've heard sound engineers degrade an instrument's sound simply because they really don't know how it should sound. Ever heard a string quartet where every instrument sounds like a violin? Once you know how it should sound, then you need to learn what is required to adjust the EQ to get there. If you don't know how it should sound then it's a little like having a map with no destination in mind!

Random but hopefully useful thoughts.......

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

JordanE

#999062 - 21/07/12 05:16 AM
Thank you both for the answers, they were extremely helpful.

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
      #999069 - 21/07/12 07:31 AM
I'd just like to add, in respect of monitor EQ, that for some reason 4kHz seems to be a problem frequency with any monitor that's got a vocal mic near it, in my experience. No idea why this is, but my first action when ringing out the wedges tends to be pulling 4k down!

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

Sheriton

Loc: Leicester, UK
Re: EQ guides and tips? new [Re: Dave Gate]
      #999080 - 21/07/12 10:06 AM
I suspect that's because most vocal mics have a bit of a presence peak around 4k. There's a huge bump there on a 58 so that will inevitably be the first frequency to feed back.

--------------------
There's nothing we can't face... Except for bunnies

Dave Gate

Loc: M6/M61/M60/M62/M65
Re: EQ guides and tips? new [Re: Sheriton]
      #999092 - 21/07/12 11:08 AM
Quote Sheriton:

I suspect that's because most vocal mics have a bit of a presence peak around 4k. There's a huge bump there on a 58 so that will inevitably be the first frequency to feed back.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

--------------------
Gear List: reverse only.

DeLenover

#999403 - 23/07/12 03:59 PM
Hey Jordan,

I've been reading this forum for a while but I think I should chime in here. I recommend you to take a look at frequency ear training software because it is quite very useful to learn what each frequency sounds like. There are basic trainers like Auricula and there are more complex (but powerful) trainers like TrainYourEars. I've used both and it's a great help. You can take a look at the video in their web to see how it works!

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, Paul White, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2659

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media