Main Forums >> Apps and Other Computers/OS
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Guitarman

Question About Alesis IODock and iPad
      #981905 - 13/04/12 02:21 PM
Hi All

I will be getting my first iPad this Sunday,and the Alesis IODock will probably follow next week.

Just one question,will I be able to connect the IODock to my PC and record into Sonar or another DAW?

Will a 32Gig iPad be OK,I will not be storing Music or Movies.

Thanks

Alan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Wimek

Loc: Holland
Re: Question About Alesis IODock and iPad new [Re: Guitarman]
      #981924 - 13/04/12 04:27 PM
I cannot answer your question about connecting to a PC, but I guess you should be able to hook up the audio outputs to an audio interface...

About the 32 GB model iPad: Without video and music files 32 GB should be enough. However, it depends on the things you want to do with the iPad!

Goddard

#982628 - 17/04/12 09:42 AM
I only have experience using an original iPad (iPad 1?) with the IO DOCK.

The IO DOCK has balanced line-level main outs (1/4" TRS, L+R) with a single ganged level control knob. There is also a stereo headphone out (1/4"), also with a level control knob. There is no digital audio output (the IO DOCK's USB port currently only works for MIDI, not audio). There is a monitoring switch for switching the outputs between directly monitoring the inputs or the outputs (from the iPad).

So, if your PC audio interface has compatible analog inputs (and most should), you should have no problem inputting audio from the IO DOCK into your DAW for recording. You'll of course need cabling with the appropriate connectors and/or adapters, and if your interface has only unbalanced inputs you may need to lift the cable shield grounds at one end to avoid ground loops (the IO DOCK has no 'ground lift switch'). In a pinch, you might even get by patching the IO DOCK's headphone output into your interface, although I have not had need to try that yet.

Some iPad 2 users had audio problems when using the IO DOCK after upgrading to iOS 5, although the recently released iOS 5.1 update is supposed to have resolved that. I don't know whether the IO DOCK is compatible with the new iPad 3.

You should really check the Alesis website for more info. There was a firmware update released for the IO DOCK, available for download after registering on the Alesis website.

http://alesis.com/iodock

Finally, be aware that apps (such as the current versions of IK's 'Amplitude' app) which use only the iPad's earphone mic input instead of the dock connector (or USB connection to the dock via the camera connection kit) will not work with the IO DOCK.

=Goddard

Guitarman

#982740 - 17/04/12 08:06 PM
Hello Goddard

Many thanks for the reply,I am glad you replied before I bought the new iPad
as I would have been really pi***d if the damn thing did not work with it.

I have taken your advice and emailed Alesis.

I will post the answer here when I get it.

Alan

Guitarman

#984603 - 27/04/12 09:54 AM
Well I emailed Alesis a week ago and I still await a reply.

I can't find anyone who has tried a new iPad with the Alasis IO Dock.
so I am none the wiser.

Alan

hollowsun

Loc: Cowbridge, South Wales
      #984604 - 27/04/12 10:05 AM
Don't email them - it's so ephemeral! Phone them.

They get a million emails a day (give or take!) and some of it gets lost/overlooked in the barrage...

01252 896000

--------------------
Website / Music Lab Machines / Blog

Guitarman

#984606 - 27/04/12 10:27 AM
OK,Thanks for the number.

I have just phoned Alesis and they confirm that the IO Dock does NOT work with the
New iPad.

Alesis are working on a solution to the problem,but there is no information
as to how long it will take.

Alan

hollowsun

#984609 - 27/04/12 10:59 AM
My understanding is that Apple periodically updates the iOS (for their own purposes) which moves the goalposts and buggers things up for 3rd-party developers.

However, I was led to believe that a recent Apple update has fixed these though. Maybe the chap you spoke to isn't totally clued up? The whole thing is a PITA with Apple calling the shots (which is - kind of - fair enough ... they make the iPad after all!) but it's bothersome for developers (and for me as we have plans for iPad apps here at HS Towers).

That notwithstanding, as for hooking it up to your PC, there's USB (and standard) MIDI and you can bring the Dock's analogue audio outs into your PC much the same way as you would an external synth, whatever.

Dunno if this helps.

--------------------

Guitarman

#984662 - 27/04/12 03:37 PM
Thanks hollowsun

I went to the Apple store in PC World this afternoon,mainly for info,and
I explained to the guy there what I wanted to do.

He said he couldn't understand why the new iPad was not compatible with the IO Dock
as the iPad2 and new iPad were exactly the same except for a difference of 0.6mm in thickness.

He also said if I were to save my Garageband compositions to iCloud,I could upload them directly to my PC anyway.Mmmmmmm

Alan

hollowsun

#984687 - 27/04/12 05:55 PM
You can get iO Dock documentation (dockumentation?!) at the Alesis site HERE under 'Docs And Downloads'.

Might give you further clues.

--------------------

Goddard

#987111 - 13/05/12 09:09 AM
Although I've had no problems using the IODock, if I were in the market today I would definitely check out the TASCAM iU2, which doesn't absolutely require external power, can also function as a USB audio-MIDI interface with a PC/Mac, and offers a coax S/PDIF digital output (but no video out).

Always nice to have more choices.

=Goddard

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor, TESTER33,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 5320

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media