Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Caste75

humidity level in home studio
      #1017752 - 08/11/12 05:18 PM
Hi guys, since few years I transformed my attic room into a home studio. I had it thermal and sound insulated by somebody. However the humidity % tends to remain quite high (around 67%). I read on many forums that gear should stay in rooms where the humidity level swings in between 45 and 55%. Do you think that this is a real issue? I mean, could this 10% extra humidity damage my gear?
I already tried placing a couple of non electric dehumidifier in my home studio but those things are not working at all. An electric one will work surely better but we are talking about an electricity usage of €2 x day...you do the math, it's more than €700 per year...
I live in Holland so I guess humidity is a common issue here.
Any idea or solution?

thanks

Filippo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Dynamic Mike

Re: humidity level in home studio new [Re: Caste75]
      #1017799 - 09/11/12 12:22 AM
You can set most electric de-humidifiers only to come on if the humidity level rises above a certain level. If you chose a model with fairly efficient extraction it will be off most of the time. I leave one on pretty much 24/7 in a conservatory & the running cost is hardly noticable, certainly nowhere near the figure you've estimated. Obviously electricity costs may vary in Holland but I wouldn't dismiss it as an option.

I think the biggest problem might be emptying the reservoir depending on the access to your attic.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1017843 - 09/11/12 11:28 AM
High humiditiy isn't really a problem with electronic gear until you get condensation. If you have acoustic instruments in there then you may want to be a bit more careful but, if you are only using electronic instruments, I wouldn't worry.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1017857 - 09/11/12 12:36 PM
If you have older instruments (good concertinas, for instance, can be up to 150 years old) then higher humidity is better than lower. Pre-central heating houses tended to be damper and instrument makers allowed for that. The wood of an older instrument can dry out and split in a modern centrally heated house.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Caste75

#1018023 - 10/11/12 11:16 AM
Thanks guys, I feel better now!

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1018039 - 10/11/12 12:58 PM
The be honest, I have always found that humility levels in studios to be inversely proportionate to talent.

tim_obrien

#1018047 - 10/11/12 02:31 PM
I'm sitting here in Florida about 3 miles from the ocean.

I would love for the humidity to get down that low.

If humidity was a problem, my stuff would have all been dead many years ago.....

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3006

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media