Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Digital recorder
      #1017870 - 09/11/12 01:36 PM
I think my HHB CDR-850 may be on its last legs, so I'm thinking of a replacement digital recorder for mastering.
I'm obviously not going to buy a CD writer, but I was looking at some options:
1. SSD / USB recorder - maybe but not too cheap.
2. Portable / hand-held recorder with digital IN or decent line IN options (would prefer digital IN).
3. Laptop with CDR and software based stereo recorder.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
Re: Digital recorder new [Re: BigAl]
      #1017877 - 09/11/12 01:49 PM
Since virtually every computer around (except the latest Macs ) has a CD burner fitted so that would seem to me to be the way to go on cost grounds alone. Since it's all digital I can't see there should be any difference in output between the computer and a dedicated hardware unit. However since I've never used the latter I'd be interested to know whether there is any other factor in play that would recommend hardware.

CC

--------------------
Back away from the concertina and no-one gets hurt
Mr Punch's Studio

BigAl
Just The Bass Player

Loc: The King's Height
Re: Digital recorder new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #1017886 - 09/11/12 02:07 PM
There won't be a difference in quality. Any difference would be down to converters (if using one).

My only issue with a PC is the faffing around. Dedicated recorders are designed for one purpose and they do it very well. I don;t use a computer for recording (not yet anyway).

If using a PC / laptop, are there any simple pieces of recording software, just for doing stereo masters, whether in WAV, MP3, or whatever......? - although it's still a faff.
I don't have a decent PC at the moment, but may be getting one soon to try out for recording.

--------------------
Jack of all trades, master of some.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1017937 - 09/11/12 05:14 PM
Quote BigAl:

I don't have a decent PC at the moment, but may be getting one soon to try out for recording.

You don't need a special PC for recording stereo files - just about anything made in the last 15 years will be fine provided there is no other software/hardware hogging the processor. However, you will need an audio interface to go with the PC - either an internal card or external USB box. If you want something as faff free as possible then I'd recommend a piece of software called CD Wave which allows you to record audio and will then split it into tracks after it has been recorded. The files that CDWave produces can then be burned by your CD burning software.

There are also a few units that combine the function of audio recorder and audio interface in one box - the Zoom R16 is one that comes to mind although I'm sure there are others.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

akkk

#1018457 - 13/11/12 08:13 PM
Man, I got microtrack m-audio for 20euros , it got spdif in so I can connect my rme adi-2 to it. Anything with spdif will do. It is better this way than to record to pc, solid, deep good stereo image, I dont know why but recording to outside recorder just gives better results. Sound gets softer, kicks ain´t so tight when I record back to pc even if using same rme. Get some of those recorders, u will like it. USB file transfer is a must ofcourse

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3056

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media