Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
One Horse Town

New system advice needed.
      #1022111 - 03/12/12 07:26 PM
I've been composing music(non-commercialy)for decades using manuscript paper or what the press like to call paper now....dead wood media. The composing bit has been done on another 'dead wood' device - a Yamaha Grand. Time I think for some tech gear. I'm into theme/incidental music and don't have the time (I'm 53) or inclination to learn every aspect of DAW's such as MOTU/CUBASE etc. I just want to get stuff recorded mostly in realtime as I can play. I've also got two motif racks and an ancient MKS20 + RD300 stage piano. I'm not interested in Sibelius as I don't need to see the notation. I realise multitracking etc is needed but the questions are:

1.DAW or just multitrack...or both?
2.Is the RD300 ok as a master kbd...still?
3.How best to utilise the Yamaha Grand?
4.pc or mac if I have to use a computer(I won't be expanding it)?

I've also set up as an Elton John tribute so the occasional backing track would be nice to do so that it breaks up just me and piano. Incidentally a friend has recommended the new Dynacord CMS 6-300 mixer (could you review it SOS?) as I could use it for all the above plus live.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: New system advice needed. new [Re: One Horse Town]
      #1022120 - 03/12/12 08:03 PM
Quote One Horse Town:

Is the RD300 ok as a master kbd...still?

Is it good enough for you? You're the one that's going to be playing it.

Quote One Horse Town:

pc or mac

This has to come before the DAW decision, and again, it's up to you. It depends entirely which way your heart/experience/wallet inclines.

One Horse Town

Re: New system advice needed. new [Re: BJG145]
      #1022234 - 04/12/12 09:02 AM
The RD300 has a good action...for a stage piano. If I can get away with using this I will.

One Horse Town

#1022567 - 05/12/12 08:18 PM
Not many responses.

Was it mention of Elton John that some of our more bigoted users couldn't stomach?

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1022585 - 05/12/12 09:58 PM
Quote:

1.DAW or just multitrack...or both?
2.Is the RD300 ok as a master kbd...still?
3.How best to utilise the Yamaha Grand?
4.pc or mac if I have to use a computer(I won't be expanding it)?

It's difficult to comment on such broad questions really. A master keyboard is a master keyboard; you either like the way it plays and the sounds it makes, or you don't. Likewise a computer is a computer and a DAW is a DAW. You can't go too far wrong with any decent computer and any modern DAW. If you can't decide, download a few demos and see which grabs your attention.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2050

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media