Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Jillian

Superior Drummer with Ableton Live Room Mic Problem
      #1024347 - 14/12/12 09:40 PM
Is there a way to record superior drummer into Live as multi-channel midi instead of audio? read below

The problem is that in Superior's mixer, every kit piece gets picked up by the overheads as well as the ambient mics. If I record to audio, I cant very well chop anything up and move it around, because the overheads have all the hits from the entire kit mixed in! I don't want to just delete the room mics because the drums sound like [ ****** ] without them.

This seems RETARDED! Please help!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
Re: Superior Drummer with Ableton Live Room Mic Problem new [Re: Jillian]
      #1024349 - 14/12/12 10:05 PM
Quote Jillian:

Is there a way to record superior drummer into Live as multi-channel midi

I'm not familiar with Superior Drummer, but recording MIDI from it looks to be more difficult than I would have expected. There's a procedure described here that uses EZPlayer Pro...not sure if you might be able to adapt it...? Other people suggest using something like Drumtracker to convert the audio into MIDI, but it seems pretty long-winded.

KuRu

Loc: uk liverpool
      #1024356 - 14/12/12 11:30 PM
turn the master bleed levels right down on the overheads. if you used cubase or presonus studio you can make it multi track or just record straight to midi i dunno if you can in reaper which is free, might be worth a look thio, its very very simple to do in cubase and presonus studio tho

Nathan

Loc: lincolnshire government experi...
      #1034187 - 19/02/13 08:54 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I hate loose ends...

The only MIDI that Superior Drummer has in it, is its "Grooves". These can be dragged into a track in your DAW (literally drag & drop) and then edited as you need. If you're playing an e-kit into it, just record the MIDI.

-but as was mentioned, if you turn down the master bleeds on the overheads and ambients, it will take the instruments out of those channels. If you turn down the individual bleeds in them, you can have what you like in them really.

You can split the channels in the SD2 mixer and have them map to tracks in your DAW, the method is dependent on which DAW you use, but I'll try and help either here, or on the Toontrack forums (I suspect the OP doesn't need that anymore though, re-reading the thread).

As users on SD2 will know, the strength of modern drum romplers is in the simultaneous recording of OH and room mics, this is what makes them sound so good and gives that gelled, roomy sound. Have a look in the manual at around pages 36 to 41 for info about the mixer and bleeds, and feel free to ask for any help.

>

--------------------
planet nine
lincoln, uk.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2756

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media