Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jeremypyle

How do you assign Korg m3 sounds to Cubase LE 4
      #1025872 - 26/12/12 03:28 AM
I've been having major problems trying to assign instruments to midi tracks. I purchased a lot of gear a few years back but never was succesful in getting it to work so gave up. I was wondering if anyone could help me set up properly using TeamViewer (a program that gives you remote access of my computer). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely stuck at the moment. My email is jeremyjpyle@gmail.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: How do you assign Korg m3 sounds to Cubase LE 4 new [Re: jeremypyle]
      #1025875 - 26/12/12 08:01 AM
Welcome Jerry and season's greetings.

I can't really help you (tho I could probably work it out for Son if I had to!) but I am wondering if the bog basic LE4 is up to the job anyway? (it is NOT the same software as "regular"Cubase you know?)

I suggest you download the 30day trial of Cubase LE6 and try that.

Then there is Reaper and the 30day trials of Samplitude Producer and Pro X. Between them there is probably nothing you cannot do!

You can also try Sonar/Cakewalk X2 but TBH X1 just boggled me silly!

Dave.

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1025880 - 26/12/12 10:33 AM
I'd kind of agree with ef37a that I'd rather be using a full version of Reaper than an old cut-down version of Cubase. But anyway...it looks like you should be using the "Korg M3 Plugin Editor"...

Quote:

The M3 Plug-In Editor is an editor that is compatible with the VST, Audio Units, or RTAS formats. It lets you use the M3 just like a plug-in instrument from within your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software or other host application.

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/M3_Editor_OM_E2_633652959984730000.pdf
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/m3/ws_m3_downloads.php

Have you tried this, and if so, how far did you get with the instructions in the manual...?

jeremypyle

Re: How do you assign Korg m3 sounds to Cubase LE 4 new [Re: ef37a]
      #1025920 - 26/12/12 08:01 PM
Thanks so much for your help Dave. I didn't realise that Cubase LE 4 isn't up to the mark. It came free with a recording device called Lexicon Lambda. I will try downloading Cubase 6. If I cannot get it working, would anyone be available sometime to give some help using TeamViewer. I'd pay for your time

Edited by jeremypyle (26/12/12 08:03 PM)

jeremypyle

Re: How do you assign Korg m3 sounds to Cubase LE 4 new [Re: BJG145]
      #1025923 - 26/12/12 08:13 PM
Quote BJG145:

I'd kind of agree with ef37a that I'd rather be using a full version of Reaper than an old cut-down version of Cubase. But anyway...it looks like you should be using the "Korg M3 Plugin Editor"...

Quote:

The M3 Plug-In Editor is an editor that is compatible with the VST, Audio Units, or RTAS formats. It lets you use the M3 just like a plug-in instrument from within your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software or other host application.

http://www.korg.com/uploads/Support/M3_Editor_OM_E2_63365295...
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/m3/ws_m3_downloa...

Yeah I haven't been able to figure it out though. What does DAW software mean? Is that refering to the software like Cubase etc? Or is the M3 plug-in editor an alternative to Cubase, Pro tools etc?

I get really confused with everything because there are so many settings I cannot figure out. I never know what I have the settings of the keyboard incorrect, the settings of the software incorrect or the settings of the M3 software incorrect. I haven't been able to figure it out

Have you tried this, and if so, how far did you get with the instructions in the manual...?

BJG145

#1025931 - 26/12/12 09:24 PM
Never mind TeamViewer, give it another go...it's cheaper and you'll learn more.

Quote:

What does DAW software mean? Is that refering to the software like Cubase etc? Or is the M3 plug-in editor an alternative to Cubase, Pro tools etc? I get really confused with everything because there are so many settings I cannot figure out.

Don't worry, it's not as complicated as it looks. The manual is for Windows XP. What OS are you on...? Might vary slightly, but not much. DAW means Digital Audio Workstation, Cubase in your case. Korg's software includes a "VST plugin" for Cubase which enables you to play the M3 sounds.

a) Connect up the M3 via USB

b) See page 2 - Download and install the latest versions of the MIDI USB driver and M3 Editor software from the link above

c) See page 6 - Make a couple of changes to the config on the keyboard and to the editor, so they can talk to each other

d) See page 10 - Start up Cubase and load the plugin

e) See page 18 - Try auditioning sounds

f) Let us know if/where you get stuck...

jeremypyle

#1025934 - 26/12/12 09:48 PM
Quote BJG145:

Never mind TeamViewer, give it another go...it's cheaper and you'll learn more.

Quote:

What does DAW software mean? Is that refering to the software like Cubase etc? Or is the M3 plug-in editor an alternative to Cubase, Pro tools etc? I get really confused with everything because there are so many settings I cannot figure out.

Don't worry, it's not as complicated as it looks. The manual is for Windows XP. What OS are you on...? Might vary slightly, but not much. DAW means Digital Audio Workstation, Cubase in your case. Korg's software includes a "VST plugin" for Cubase which enables you to play the M3 sounds.

a) Connect up the M3 via USB

b) See page 2 - Download and install the latest versions of the MIDI USB driver and M3 Editor software from the link above

c) See page 6 - Make a couple of changes to the config on the keyboard and to the editor, so they can talk to each other

d) See page 10 - Start up Cubase and load the plugin

e) See page 18 - Try auditioning sounds

f) Let us know if/where you get stuck...

I've treid all of this but can't seem to get anywhere. I don't get any sound from m3 editor

jeremypyle

#1025936 - 26/12/12 09:55 PM
Maybe my problem is this. I have a Roland keyboard that I've tried to connect to the main brain piece of the m3 keyboard. I'm using the keys of the roland but then connecting to the m3 sound box thing. Do I connect a midi cable (midi out from roland and then midi in cable into the m3 sound box)? Then after this, do I connect the usb cable from m3 into laptop?

BJG145

#1025937 - 26/12/12 10:05 PM
Quote jeremypyle:

Maybe my problem is this. I have a Roland keyboard that I've tried to connect to the main brain piece of the m3 keyboard. I'm using the keys of the roland but then connecting to the m3 sound box thing. Do I connect a midi cable (midi out from roland and then midi in cable into the m3 sound box)? Then after this, do I connect the usb cable from m3 into laptop?

Sounds about right, though if the M3 has its own keyboard I'd probably start with that and try and fix one thing at a time.

Quote jeremypyle:

I've tried all of this but can't seem to get anywhere. I don't get any sound from m3 editor

So, to start with, you've installed the Korg USB-Midi driver...? Is it showing up OK in Windows Device Manager...? What version of Windows are you running...?

Then you've installed the M3 Editor and M3 Plugin Editor, and followed the instructions on page 6. This means changing settings like "Enable Exclusive" on the actual Korg keyboard.

Then you've managed to open up "M3 Plugin Editor" in Cubase, as described on P10...? (Note that the manual refers to the "M3 Editor" and the "M3 Plugin Editor", which are two different things. The M3 Plugin Editor is the bit you need.)

jeremypyle

#1025938 - 26/12/12 10:08 PM
Quote BJG145:

Quote jeremypyle:

I've tried all of this but can't seem to get anywhere. I don't get any sound from m3 editor

So, to start with, you've installed the Korg USB-Midi driver...? Is it showing up OK in Windows Device Manager...? What version of Windows are you running...?

Then you've installed the M3 Editor and M3 Plugin Editor, and followed the instructions on page 6. This means changing settings like "Enable Exclusive" on the actual Korg keyboard.

Then you've managed to open up "M3 Plugin Editor" in Cubase, as described on P10...? (Note that the manual refers to the "M3 Editor" and the "M3 Plugin Editor", which are two different things. The M3 Plugin Editor is the bit you need.)

Do you have TeamViewer? (It's a program that gives you remote access of my computer). If you were to help, I could pay you something for your time. I could give you $20 per hour. I'm not sure how long it will take you. It may not take you long at all. I've spent days trying to figure it out though.

Edited by jeremypyle (26/12/12 10:13 PM)

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1025947 - 27/12/12 09:59 AM
Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum.

To help us help you, what computer are you using?
What audio interface is connected?
How is the M3 connected to it?
How is the computer connected to the speakers?
Do you get sound out of the computer (youtube etc)?

Once we have established that part it will be easier to help on the software side.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

jeremypyle

Re: How do you assign Korg m3 sounds to Cubase LE 4 new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1026018 - 27/12/12 08:17 PM
Hi Richie,

I hope I aren't wasting everyones time. I feel I am because of how long this is taking.

My computer is as follows:

Asus F5R notebook Pc
Computer: Genuine Intel® CPU
T2080 @ 1.73GHz
1.73 GHz, 1.87 GB of RAM
System: Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

I know it's a pretty slow laptop which won't run well for recording. However once I learn how to record, I will then consider an upgrade. At the moment, I can't even get the recording working properly.

I have a Roland EP 90 keyboard that I use for the keys and I have a midi cable going from midi out or Roland into midi in of Korg m3 sound module (I don't have the korg m3 sound module connected to the Korg m3 keys because it is heavy to carry and it's easier to use this lighter weight keyboard.)

I then have a usb cable from korg M3 into the laptop

At the moment, I aren't using the lexicon lambda audio interface (although I could use this if it helps)

Do I have the midi cable going the correct way?

Yes sound on the keyboard works on youtube. At the moment, I'm using headphones

BJG145

#1026027 - 27/12/12 10:15 PM
To start with, have you checked whether the Korg USB/Midi driver is installed correctly; eg, can you record notes on a Midi track, and play them back on the M3...?

jeremypyle

#1026047 - 28/12/12 02:29 AM
Quote BJG145:

To start with, have you checked whether the Korg USB/Midi driver is installed correctly; eg, can you record notes on a Midi track, and play them back on the M3...?

I was able to do that. Although now that doesn't even seem to be working. I've been mucking around with a lot of the settings and can't seem to get even that working anymore.

Edited by jeremypyle (28/12/12 02:30 AM)

BJG145

#1026061 - 28/12/12 09:11 AM
OK, then the first thing to check is whether the Korg M3 USB/MIDI driver is installed and configured so that the keyboard and laptop are communicating.

If you close Cubase and any other programs, and run the main "M3 Editor" program, does it connect to the keyboard...? Are you able to click "Browse" on the laptop editor, choose patches, and play them...? (P18).

If not, I'd uninstall and reinstall the Korg software.

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1026066 - 28/12/12 09:39 AM
" I've been mucking around with a lot of the settings"

Oh dear^ I thnk it is time to uninstall Cubase and Korg stuff completely, run a restore back to before you got them and start afresh.

Check to see that you have the PC properly setup for sound recording. Certainly turn off Windows bloops and beeps and probably the integrated soundcard and any wireless kit.

BTW the original question bothers me a bit. Are you wanting to put the Korg's "sounds" into the PC effectively such that you don't need it as a "sound module"? If so I don't think you can.

But then I am just an old bottle jockey!

Dave.

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1026068 - 28/12/12 09:46 AM
Thanks for the information you have provided, but I can't see how you have connected the synth to your audio monitoring. The MIDI looks correct; the Roland outputs into the Korg, but you have not said how the sound comes out of the Korg into your monitors.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4715

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media