Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
KSM

groove box and copyright usages
      #1034371 - 20/02/13 06:23 PM
hello - i have a question regarding groove box and copyright usages. if I am making music from a groove box with programmed in box sounds and rhythms and beats and etc, and I compose a track with no or very minimal change to the patterns and sounds that it already comes with... do I have right to copyright / release / sell the resulting track? my concern is that the track we composed isn't too different sounding than something that might be easily created by anyone else turning on the same machine.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: groove box and copyright usages new [Re: KSM]
      #1034372 - 20/02/13 06:32 PM
As long as you just haven't just recycled preset music patterns unaltered (which isn't composing music), then generally yes, these machines are designed and intended to be used to create music, so it's ok to do whatever you want with that music. Hardware you buy seldom has licensing restrictions on what you can do creatively with the music you make with it - usually only that resampling to sell the samples as a library is not permitted usage.

KSM

Re: groove box and copyright usages new [Re: desmond]
      #1034375 - 20/02/13 06:49 PM
well thats the problem. the presets have barely been changed. i might have slowed the tempo a minimal bit or some other slight tweaks, but i imagine you could replicate it pretty easy by just turning the machine on and playing tracks with minimal tweaks. i fully realize it is low hanging fruit (if not worse) in terms of creativity but its my client who likes it and wants to use it, as opposed to the other orginal things i've come up with. i just want to make sure i'm not violating any copyright issues if the changes are almost non existant or minimal. does anyone have any thoughts or resources i could investigate further?

pa28

Loc: u.k. London
      #1034417 - 20/02/13 11:16 PM
This post, has re-kindled a question I have asked before but never got a satisfactory answer to. Is it possible to claim copyright to patches someone has created by using supplied editing software, (the hardware in question is an effects unit), as it is perfectly possible to just dial up the same parameters, and have created the same user defined patch as the claimed copyrighted patch/s.

Sorry if this appears a thread drift, but I thinks it's relevant.

narcoman

#1034456 - 21/02/13 07:00 AM
Quote KSM:

well thats the problem. the presets have barely been changed. i might have slowed the tempo a minimal bit or some other slight tweaks, but i imagine you could replicate it pretty easy by just turning the machine on and playing tracks with minimal tweaks. i fully realize it is low hanging fruit (if not worse) in terms of creativity but its my client who likes it and wants to use it, as opposed to the other orginal things i've come up with. i just want to make sure i'm not violating any copyright issues if the changes are almost non existant or minimal. does anyone have any thoughts or resources i could investigate further?

The second post answered your question. You are free to do whatever you like. The only thing you can't do is put samples of such boxes into sample collections. Writing a song using a preset is fine.

Mr. Lau

Loc: Guayaquil, Ecuador - South Ame...
      #1036630 - 06/03/13 02:24 AM
I remember one of the 'rules' of sampling...

... It is not bad to sample other people's sounds (well just don't take a whole verse, shame on you! ):o
but make it YOUR sound, process, shape it, use it in a context completely different from the original...

If you make a hit song, well, if the owner of the copyright notices your 'borrowed' sample, I suppose his lawyers are going to knock knock knocking on your front door!

But I don't think that if you sample a single snare, they could prove your crime

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
Re: groove box and copyright usages new [Re: Mr. Lau]
      #1036729 - 06/03/13 03:40 PM
Quote Mr. Lau:

But I don't think that if you sample a single snare, they could prove your crime

There are plenty of snare samples I can recognise, I expect a savvy lawyer could pursue a case if they really wanted to, but that isn't really relevant to this thread; the groovebox is sold to be used as it is or with tweaked presets, no one will pursue copyright on tracks made with one. Sampling all the individual sounds and selling them though is another matter.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
3 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *
Thread views: 2221

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media