Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
_ Six _

Recording drums without stereo mics
      #1036106 - 04/03/13 12:11 AM
I've just spent a fortune soundproofing and acoustically treating the drum studio. So much so I can't afford another mic for a while.

I'm doing a few test recordings tomorrow and have the following mics available:

AT4033a
RODE NT2A
2 x SM57
Shure PG52
2 x Shure PG56
Shure PG81
Behringer ECM8000 Omni test mic

The PG mics are rubbish (the 52 is just about passable on the kick drum). I was considering experimenting with the Glyn Johns, Recorderman and Decca Tree methods but wondered how you guys would approach it.

The room is a large double bedroom that is well treated with Rockwool DIY traps and Auralex foam with a ceiling cloud suspended above the kit. The floor is engineered wood and there's some diffusion from a bookcase loaded with LP's.

Ideally, I'd like a stereo pair of overheads and close mic the kit but I don't have two condenser mics of the same brand.

Any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
_ Six _

Re: Recording drums without stereo mics new [Re: _ Six _]
      #1036107 - 04/03/13 12:13 AM
Just to add to that I've read that the Behringer ECM8000 can work well as stereo overheads on drums. I saw a shootout test somewhere and they came out on top.

I could manage £50 or so for another one of those if that would work better than my other options.

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1036128 - 04/03/13 07:59 AM
Six,

Have you considered the dirt cheap, but allegedly ok sounding Silver Bullets?

http://www.karmamics.com/shop/K-Micro-Matched-Pair.html

I have these in omni and the Naiant ones (can't remember if they are omni or cardoid) largely because I was curious to try them out and could afford to take a punt, but never got around to trying them out.

The other thing that you might be able to try is M/S using the NT2a and the 4033 - not sure how well it would work, but it might be interesting.

Or just try bunging both condensers over the kit for a Glyn Johns thing and see how it goes...

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: Recording drums without stereo mics new [Re: Dave B]
      #1036152 - 04/03/13 10:15 AM
Time for some experimenting.

For some years, my favourite overhead mic was an electret capsule extracted from an old cassette recorder. Of course, there's an element of luck involved in using these old capsules as some are great while some are not so great but the Karma mics are basically a similar idea although hopefully more consistent.

James

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #1036162 - 04/03/13 10:48 AM
Quote _ Six _:

Just to add to that I've read that the Behringer ECM8000 can work well as stereo overheads on drums.

Yes, they do. But I think that's mainly because they're omni. Whereas most folk tend to use a spaced pair of cardioids- which is technically incorrect for a very good reason! Watch out with the Behringers though, the output levels can vary wildy in a batch. We have 10 here and they're all different.

The Naiant's are great, much better quality control than the B's. IMO you really do need stereo! And I agree, the PG kick mic is not great, takes a lot of work to get a useable sound. even the much scorned AKG D112 is far better.

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

ESE

#1036168 - 04/03/13 11:03 AM
I would experiment with different over head setups. Recently I got good results with a couple of cardioid SDC's as overheads setup recorderman style. If I were you I would start with the two LDCs as overheads (cardioid) as overheads in recorderman style (measure precisely) and then add a kick drum mic just to reinforce the low end (and possibly a snare mic). Recorderman works very well.

Sam Inglis
SOS Features Editor

#1036198 - 04/03/13 12:24 PM
You could try M/S overheads with the 4033A as the Mid mic, and the NT2A in figure-8 as the Sides mic.

Not sure how well that particular combination of mics would work, but M/S overheads in general can be very nice, and unlike many stereo techniques, don't necessarily require that the two mics be the same.

Tomás Mulcahy

Loc: Cork, Ireland.
      #1036232 - 04/03/13 02:16 PM
There are well over 10 different ways to set up mics to create a stereo image, each gives a different image quality and each is intended for different distances. Google DPA microphone university, it gives an excellent explanation of each one. So MS is doable with your current collection of mics, but you may not like how it sounds.

--------------------
madtheory creations
Synths and pianos for Kontakt

Urthlupe

Loc: West Midlands, UK
      #1036413 - 05/03/13 08:13 AM
Ditch the idea of stereo overheads.

Put the 4033 over the kit and close mic with the others. Add stereo ambience when you mix.

Hope the effort you put into the room turns out well.

Loopy

Tamika Caleigh

#1039570 - 24/03/13 02:17 AM
I have found it works well on acoustic guitar, or a group of vocalists. It utilizes two microphones, one in a cardioid pattern and the other in a figure-eight pattern. The cardioid mic faces the object being recorded and the figure-eight mic is placed perpendicular, while being as close as possible to the cardioid mic.

spam signature removed

Edited by zenguitar (24/03/13 12:40 PM)

_ Six _

#1039573 - 24/03/13 02:39 AM
I tried a lot of different approaches and settled on buying a pair of Rode NT5 mics in the end!

Ahhh that's better

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2477

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media