Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
jkielq91

Should I buy live intro?
      #1036314 - 04/03/13 07:33 PM
Hello,

So far I have been recording all my stuff on Abelton Live Lite and it has actually done me quite well so far as I like a very simple, stripped down approach.

But one major looking problem exists for me. That is the amount of plug ins you can use. you can only use 4 plug ins, which limits my eq and mixing possibilities. This is especially true for drums and vocals. I use Amplitube to.

It also has a limit of only 8 tracks per live set.

I cannot really afford live. I even have a 25% discount offer that expires at midnight, but the money is still a lot.

Alternatively, do you have any tips for how I could comfortably live with just 4 tracks.

A second question: I am thinking of buying Abbey Road 70's drums. In this software you can eq, add effects to and mix your drums. If I use this in Ableton can I tweek my drum mix in 70's drums instead of using the controls in Ableton? I know you can do this in Amplitube.

Thanks for any tips. I really like Ableton already from using Lite. Is Intro a worth while upgrade? I can get it for around £60.
Should I buy Live Intro?
You may choose only one
Yes
Nah, its not worth it.

Votes accepted from (04/03/13 12:00 AM) to (No end specified)
View Poll results

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
pokemaster

Re: Should I buy live intro? new [Re: jkielq91]
      #1036464 - 05/03/13 11:13 AM
If you are happy sticking with the cut down version, use it to your advantage. 4 plugins is plenty for some styles of music and it forces you to be more creative. You could always bounce tracks with effects. There have been many great albums made in the past with only 8 channels and only 4 aux for effects.

Secondly, Abbey Rd drums are amazeballs. Yes they do have their own EQ section. Now that they are the Drummer versions they come with (from their website):

"Create the perfect drum submix completely within the instrument! Each of the updated ABBEY ROAD DRUMMER Series provides a dedicatedMixer Section and a range of high-quality studio effects, including tape saturation, convolution reverb and three big-league effects: a top-qualitystudio EQ, a high-endstudio compressor and the awe-inspiringTRANSIENT MASTER."

The other reason you may want to consider one of the full versions of Ableton Live is the warp algorythms they include are probably better than Intro.

Check out the Ableton site today at they just released version 9, so the Intro version may have some cool new features that 8 did not have.

BTW, I use Ableton Suite and Abbey Rd 60s and 80s drums.

Cheers!

jkielq91

Re: Should I buy live intro? new [Re: pokemaster]
      #1036483 - 05/03/13 12:02 PM
Thanks. Great answer. I would love Ableton Suite but it is an overwhelming amount of money atm.

Ableton have taken their site down because it has so much traffic.

I am looking for the details for Live 9 Intro.

What is 80's drums like? I automatically moved towards 70 drums because my music has a big 70's influence. Hendrix, Zeppelin, Purple, Allman Brothers.

My usual line up in a song consists of Guitar, Vocal, Bass Guitar and Drums (Midi). I also some times use Electric Organ (Midi) and Harmonica (real).

Edited by jkielq91 (05/03/13 12:21 PM)

Dynamic Mike

#1036489 - 05/03/13 12:30 PM
Could you use a channel strip plug-in, something like iZotope Alloy or Ozone to effectively increase the number of plug-in slots available? They normally do a free time-limited demo so you could see if it works for you. That way even if you do choose to upgrade later you'll still have something useful.

--------------------
Disclaimer: The views or opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the poster by the time you read this.

jkielq91

Re: Should I buy live intro? new [Re: Dynamic Mike]
      #1036490 - 05/03/13 12:52 PM
I have never heard of a channel strip plug in before. How does it work?

Do you put the channel strip plug in on a track and then put plugins in the channel strip?

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1036501 - 05/03/13 02:24 PM
A channel strip plug-in usually consists of a gate, EQ and a compressor, which means it is three plug-ins in one. You don't need all sections active, just the ones you require.

With regard to your question, I have recently got Live Intro but not used it enought to tell you if it is vastly better than Lite. I would suggest you save your pennies and get one of the full blown packages in a couple of months.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

jkielq91

Re: Should I buy live intro? new [Re: Richie Royale]
      #1036560 - 05/03/13 04:56 PM
Quote Richie Royale:

A channel strip plug-in usually consists of a gate, EQ and a compressor, which means it is three plug-ins in one. You don't need all sections active, just the ones you require.

With regard to your question, I have recently got Live Intro but not used it enought to tell you if it is vastly better than Lite. I would suggest you save your pennies and get one of the full blown packages in a couple of months.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
      #1036569 - 05/03/13 05:44 PM
Have you thought of mixing to stems? First you mix drums, then bass, vocals, etc - then you print the result to a WAV and load them in another, final, project (or another intermediate one, of course) and so forth. This would at least kind of double your plugin count (four in the original tracks, plus additional four that you can use for the stem), which isn't bad - and then you can even add more just by printing the wav and reloading. Bit more work but if buying a full version is off the table, it can be pretty effective - plus you learn quick to use plugins only when you need 'em. Personally, if I have more than 4 plugins on a track start to look at them with suspicion, but then I ain't a pro either, so who knows what's right..

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

jkielq91

Re: Should I buy live intro? new [Re: CS70]
      #1036674 - 06/03/13 11:08 AM
Quote CS70:

Have you thought of mixing to stems? First you mix drums, then bass, vocals, etc - then you print the result to a WAV and load them in another, final, project (or another intermediate one, of course) and so forth. This would at least kind of double your plugin count (four in the original tracks, plus additional four that you can use for the stem), which isn't bad - and then you can even add more just by printing the wav and reloading. Bit more work but if buying a full version is off the table, it can be pretty effective - plus you learn quick to use plugins only when you need 'em. Personally, if I have more than 4 plugins on a track start to look at them with suspicion, but then I ain't a pro either, so who knows what's right..

Good idea.

What plugins would you use and how do you use them?

I use amplitube for guitar and bass, which is often three plugins. Then there is drums. 4. But vocals then need doing, which is another plugin.

TheAmbler

#1037067 - 08/03/13 01:00 PM
I've just bought Abbey Road Drums 70s and am impressed. I run it in Live 8 and have mapped all the drum names using an instrument rack with lots of chains.

Within AR drums You get a full set of effects plugins built in on every instrument - Snare, Kick etc. Sound quality very good, articulation very good. Does take a bit of time to load tho

Hussein

Loc: London
      #1037255 - 09/03/13 01:20 PM
Hi there

intro and lite and pretty much the same product. You will run into similar limitations. Upgrade to Live or Suite. Even at 25% it's better.
of course you can look at the readers ads and Gumtree or Ebay for anyone selling their copy of Live/Suite.

I used Lite and Intro but soon upgraded to Suite.
However, if you get Live you really should get Sampler as there's so much that can be done with it when you get into Racks.

I would also suggest that the sheer number of racks freely available on the net and made by users is pretty amazing and you lose out on using these if you're using the stripped down versions of Live.

To be able to live with four tracks requires that you bounce down tracks and effects. You need to get good at making production decisions. It's the way it always was with tape based systems, especially four tracks, and Live Lite/Intro is no different. Of course you have the advantage of saving changes incrementally so that you can always go back and undo a decision.

Hope that helps.

Hussein

--------------------
Hussein Boon: http://www.husseinboon.co.uk
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/hussein-boon

Musesic

Loc: 34233
      #1056355 - 08/07/13 06:35 PM
I bought, with some wincing at the price, Abelton9 Suite nine months ago. I do not regret the move. You have to decide what is more important - time or money. I look at them as the same thing - you may have one but you may not have the other - such is life. A work around and plug ins are ok but if you want to increase your work flow speed you need the have the full version. I cannot tell you how much easier life is with the Live 9 upgrade after working six months with Live8 Lite. Just my ten cents but I would focus on getting some cash and then go back into the studio - maybe get a backer?

--------------------
Jeme

caveman82

Re: Should I buy live intro? new [Re: Musesic]
      #1056367 - 08/07/13 08:10 PM
There's something called Plogue Bidule, Energy XT which amongst many other things if you load it as a VST/AU you can chain together. They are both powerful tools in their own rights.

I came across this link which has details of many options for which you could load a VST/AU and load many more VST/AU's in that.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/earwighoney

BarryGardner

#1059675 - 29/07/13 10:45 AM
You may be abe to get an educational discount on ableton software check here to see if you qualify
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/edu-eligible/

I've been using Live 8 Lite but Ableton seem (and I may have been looking in the wrong place) to have closed their support forum. Consequently I'm trying out Presonus Studio One. It seems to work in similar ways to Ableton. It may be worth a look

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4297

December 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for December 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media