Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Shambolic Charm

Cheap mic suits my voice better
      #1038883 - 19/03/13 03:25 PM
I have been coming to terms that after more than 30 years of recording my voice sounds best to me on a cheap Sennheiser E835! I did some quick vocals with it to get some ideas down, then went on to record with some of my better mics. A modded Oktava mk319 ; an SE 2200; An SDK s51 an MXL 2003 and a Shure SM7b. Using the SDK S51 I recorded most of the first verse but not the last line, when I played it back and the last line kicked in my voice sounded so much better! I am a very gruff Baritone with quite a bit of mid range too. The E835 brought out that gruffness nicely and tails off the depth of my voice so it sits well amongst other instruments. I add a gentle rise at around 6k with a wide Q. And it just does it. So I listened back to the old recordings done with the E835 and it sounds better than I have been getting, the only thing near was the Oktava, which I applied a similar boost to and it has more sense of air but still doesn't sound quite as good. It's an uncomfortable feeling admitting that a stage mic works best but I can't deny it. Am i missing something here? Is there something I'm not getting, something I will miss out on not using a more expensive mic?

--------------------
www.myspace.com/shambolic-charm

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jonny Duddle

Loc: Manchester, UK
Re: Cheap mic suits my voice better new [Re: Shambolic Charm]
      #1038886 - 19/03/13 03:48 PM
I'll get in here before anyone else does and say if it sounds right, it is right!

If you think you might be slightly biased, bounce each one out and listen without looking at which is which while you do, then decide.

Or maybe you just got a better performance out of the first!

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1038996 - 20/03/13 09:53 AM
With the exception of the SM7, all the mics you list are budget Chinese/Russian large diaphragm condenser mics which don't sound anything like the mics they look like. They tend to have a 'zingy' top end which sounds superficially impressive but which becomes tiring after a while.

I'm not surprised that a mic from a proper mic manufacturer sounds better - after all, they've gone through a proper design process rather than try to emulate someone else's design. There are plenty of famous records where the vocals were recorded with stage vocal mics - often in the control room too.

I'm surprised that the SM7 didn't work though.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Shambolic Charm

#1039004 - 20/03/13 10:09 AM
Actually I looked into this 'zingy' Top end issue before I bought and if you look into it you'll find that both the MXL and the ADK I mention have a circuit that compensates the top end in much the same manner as the Neumann they copied do. The general problem with many chinese mics is they copied the Neumann capsule but not the circuit, which takes the top end peak out. The Oktava MK319 is a Russian Mic and is well know n for being quite 'Dark'. So 'zingy is not an issue.

--------------------

damoore

Loc: New Hampshire
      #1039022 - 20/03/13 12:00 PM
I am a bass, and I like a similar Sennheiser on my voice. Not sure its the exact same one but at least a relative.

However, I found the Audix OM2 to be even better - the OM5 is better still but its getting out of the "cheap mic" category, though still not expensive.

Shambolic Charm

#1039052 - 20/03/13 02:44 PM
I've been looking around the net and it's interesting to find that Sinatra recorded a number of records with a Shure 546 which is very closely related to the SM57. I have a 57 but it doesn't compliment my voice still neat to find some of the great vocal recordings were done on a cheapish dynamic.

--------------------

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1039066 - 20/03/13 03:07 PM
Quote Shambolic Charm:

Am i missing something here? Is there something I'm not getting, something I will miss out on not using a more expensive mic?

The most obvious difference between most general purpose studio mics and most stage vocal mics is that the former have a broadly flat response, while the latter always have heavily boosted presence ranges. That is the certainly the case for all the mics you listed -- and the same applies to the Audix OM2 /OM5 mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

You're probably trying to make your voice sound like something it really isn't... and you need some technological help to achieve that. I would suggest that your voice lacks energy in the presence range, and that's why you prefer the sound of mics that emphasise that area heavily (about +6dB in the case of the Sennheiser and Audix mics) -- and you then push it even further with some additional boost in the same area.

There's nothing wrong in choosing a mic that complements your voice, but there aren't many 'studio' mics that have such strong presence peaks as a typical stage vocal mic.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Matt Houghton
SOS Reviews Editor

#1039069 - 20/03/13 03:12 PM
There is no 'coming to terms' for you. The same thing happened when we did a vocal mic feature a few years ago and one of the vocalists, having tested a Coles 4038, a C12, a tube 47 and various other expensive and desirable mics found that the Audio Technica AT2020 was particularly wel suited to her voice.

Like her, you can just consider yourself one of the lucky ones. It's the rest of us who have to come to terms with it, while you blow your U47 budget on axes, amps, booze and holidays (or whatever else it is that floats your boat)!

--------------------
SOS Reviews Editor

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: Cheap mic suits my voice better new [Re: Matt Houghton]
      #1039076 - 20/03/13 03:20 PM
Quote Matt Houghton:

...(or whatever else it is that floats your boat)!

Water works best, I think. I tried mercury once. Floats really heavy boats well, but it gave me a headache and some slightly strange ideas...

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Tamika Caleigh

#1039569 - 24/03/13 02:08 AM
I have been using the e835's and have been pleased with their performance which is slightly higher than the industry standard Shure SM58.

spam signature removed

Edited by zenguitar (24/03/13 12:42 PM)

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 3045

August 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for August 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media