Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mattyy

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Favorite Plugin Developers
      #1038905 - 19/03/13 06:31 PM
OK.
So. In the last three years, it feels like I've demoed at least a million plugins. My obsession borders on debilitating. BUT. I now feel that I actually have an opinion about the quality of the various offerings out there. AND. I am fairly new to music engineering (last 5-10 years) so I don't have any "romantic" favorites, therefore, I feel like I'm a tad more objective than many as well. So here goes -- in order of preference.

1. Fabfilter: Not a single weak product. Light on the CPU. Easy to use.
2. PSP: Best sounding bar none! A little more resource hungry and harder to get right at times.
3. Soundtoys: Gimmicky but awesome none the less. A tad bit over-hyped imho.
4. Brainworx: They have nailed M/S and EQ imho. Some of their distortion offerings are a bit weak I feel.
5. URS: Very under the radar and limited in scope but they sound really good to me at least.
6. Abbey Road: When they're right - they're right!

NO? Waves: WAYYY too inconsistent :S From truly ingenious to plain awful sounding (Retro Comp vs. Hybrid EQ for instance). McDSP: when they start putting more audio samples online then I may revise my opinion but until then, I assume that absence means... UAD: please start looking forward as well, there will never be another Queen, get over it.

HONORABLE MENTION FOR PAYING FOR PROMO? Slate Digital: The ones that I've used, I've liked but they lack a real range of plugins, they are HEAVY on the CPU and its just really hard to hear the truth over the din of Steven Slate singing lounge tunes
That's it for now.
Your opinions as of March 2013?
Expect my fave software instruments soon.
Thanks

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
The_BPP

Loc: Lincolnshire
Re: Favorite Plugin Developers new [Re: Mattyy]
      #1038987 - 20/03/13 09:12 AM
You criticise UAD for not looking forward, and yet include "Abbey Road" in your list of favourite plugin developers?

--------------------
Touch & Go

Scramble

#1038991 - 20/03/13 09:22 AM
Quote Mattyy:

I am fairly new to music engineering (last 5-10 years) so I don't have any "romantic" favorites, therefore, I feel like I'm a tad more objective than many as well.

Yeah, inexperienced engineers are always the objective ones.

Quote Mattyy:

McDSP: when they start putting more audio samples online then I may revise my opinion but until then, I assume that absence means...

You can't tell much from listening to audio samples online, and expressing a negstive opinion of McDSP is on this basis is just a joke. (I hope your demo'ing doesn't just consist of listening to online samples).

Quote Mattyy:

UAD: please start looking forward as well, there will never be another Queen, get over it.

Do you actually own a UAD card?

narcoman

#1038992 - 20/03/13 09:34 AM
URS? In the early days defo king of the hill but they just haven't moved on. Not good sounding at all.

Not keen on Waves but for business reasons, they have a few good plugins.

Brainworx are great; the plugin alliance stuff is very good. Something not right about the MS stuff though.

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1039007 - 20/03/13 10:18 AM
I'd also query the negative comments about the UAD ecosystem. I'm in the position now of feeling slightly silly for not adopting it over the years.

As mentioned in another thread, for cheap, but nice plugins there are a few from Audio Damage that I like.

TBH, my favourite 'plugin' is the one that Lexicon wrote to let me integrate my PCM96 into the DAW!

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Bossman

Loc: UK
      #1039013 - 20/03/13 11:01 AM
My Favourite plugin developers = UAD

I like some of the Waves plugins.

I also like the Slate Digital plugins

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1039016 - 20/03/13 11:16 AM
UAD all the way.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

Richie Royale

Loc: Bristol, England.
      #1039028 - 20/03/13 12:36 PM
One day I'll get the UAD precision suite. I demoed it years ago and the limiter was very good. The Manley would be nice as well.

Otherwise Fabfilter do some nice stuff.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale
http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Mattyy

#1039088 - 20/03/13 04:25 PM
Quote:

You criticise UAD for not looking forward, and yet include "Abbey Road" in your list of favourite plugin developers?

Yup. The TG12412 plugin represents a tone palate that very few have been ever able to use. The RE-201???

Quote:

Yeah, inexperienced engineers are always the objective ones.

Wow... I know you are but what am I? LOL!!!

Quote:

You can't tell much from listening to audio samples online, and expressing a negstive opinion of McDSP is on this basis is just a joke.

Can tell even less from youtube videos at NAMM but McDSP seem to love those :S No criticism of McDSP sound - just the fact that they are less than transparent in their business approach. And I demo all I can - trust me

Quote:

No. When they start to break new audio ground then I'll be first in line. The Precision line is interesting to me though.. maybe if they upgraded/updated that line as often as they release 1176 and LA2A clones

Quote:

URS? In the early days defo king of the hill but they just haven't moved on. Not good sounding at all.

URS Saturation vs. whatever else in software saturation. I'm down for a shootout My next step is definitely hardware after this me thinks.

Quote:

As mentioned in another thread, for cheap, but nice plugins there are a few from Audio Damage that I like.

Thanks! Finally someone who is NOT sponsored by UAD - LOL!! JK guys.. back with the flamethrowers :O

Quote:

My Favourite plugin developers = UAD. I like some of the Waves plugins. I also like the Slate Digital plugins

...And I don't listen to any music released after 1974 - I know what I like and I like what I know. Don't mean to sound facetious (oops - LOL!) but those three companies probably spend by and far the most on ad space as well... Coincidence :S

Thanks for the input guys.
Sorry admin. Realized after that I probably posted this in the wrong place. My bad.
Will add my soft synth developers soon.
Cheers.

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

desmond

#1039091 - 20/03/13 04:29 PM
FWIW I find many of the UAD plugins (not all) to be my most used, simple, effective, great sounding, fast and overall *useful* plugins for my music.

I like other plugins as well, of course, but the UAD stuff just works really well for me, other constraints aside. Super useful, great sounding and quick and easy plugins to use. And I don't say that lightly, because I can't use them on my system at all (again) so I am forced to resort to alternatives, very few as which give me a similar level of utility...

G-Doubleyou

#1039097 - 20/03/13 05:02 PM
UAD, next best thing if you can't afford the vintage hardware.

IK plugs, actually sound very good, great bang for the buck.

--------------------
G-Dub
Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Scramble

#1039111 - 20/03/13 06:05 PM
>Will add my soft synth developers soon.

Well, plenty of scope for some highly objective "It's not 1974 anymore" slams there!

Karl H.

#1039125 - 20/03/13 07:59 PM
Quote Mattyy:

Quote:

Yup. The TG12412 plugin represents a tone palate that very few have been ever able to use. The RE-201???

Hilarious, I actually bought a UAD card first and foremost to replace my HW RE-201. I was sick and tired of the maintenance, so I sold that (and my for-parts spare unit) and bought a UAD card for the money I got for them.

Now, SpaceEcho may be an effect you either love or hate, but what it does, it does very well. Dub reggae would not exist without that box or its peers.

Now, I don't consider myself a vintage freak, I appreciate both new and old equipment and think some of the focus on vintage can be a bit silly. But, avoiding vintage just because it's old seems to be just as silly to me. If it sounds good, who cares when it was made?

Other than UAD, I like the Lexicon plugs (Gosh, another imitative plugin!), some of the Audio Damage stuff (DubStation - OK, I'm a delay freak), plus a good selection of free stuff (some great stuff out there, actually, I tend to spend most of my money on synths).

Karl

Bossman

#1039144 - 20/03/13 09:58 PM
Quote Mattyy:

Quote:

No. When they start to break new audio ground then I'll be first in line. The Precision line is interesting to me though.. maybe if they upgraded/updated that line as often as they release 1176 and LA2A clones

The first 1176 plugin was released in 2001. and they've only just recently updated it 12 years later... i'd hardly call that often.

UAD specialize in emulations. and they are very good at it. Mix engineers still use studios full of hardware.. including real 1176 and LA2A units amongst other classics. To be able to have a plugin that even comes close is great and we should be thankful.. and UAD have been delivering the goods since 2001.. respect to them!

oh yeah, and the RE-201 is the best delay plugin full stop. Love it. Closely followed by the Cooper Time Cube.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Bossman

#1039146 - 20/03/13 10:12 PM
lots of people hate Waves, as a company.. but no one likes companies do they?... everyone loves to hate the corporations etc.. so what..

they make good plugins. and have been doing since at least the mid nineties..they were one of the first plugin developers and they've always been ahead of the game.

I prefer UAD, but if I couldn't have UAD plugins then Waves would be my second choice.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

Chevytraveller

Loc: London
Re: Favorite Plugin Developers new [Re: Bossman]
      #1039155 - 20/03/13 11:02 PM
Quote Bossman:

lots of people hate Waves, as a company.. but no one likes companies do they?... everyone loves to hate the corporations etc.. so what..

they make good plugins. and have been doing since at least the mid nineties..they were one of the first plugin developers and they've always been ahead of the game.

I prefer UAD, but if I couldn't have UAD plugins then Waves would be my second choice.

The reason people hate the corporations and the large companies is that they often tend to treat their customers quite badly, only care about the big name clients and think marketing is all they need to do..
Waves is one of these companies.

There are many great software developers who have a very good relationship with their users but they are quite often the smaller companies who seem to be able to listen and maintain a good dialogue with the buying public

--------------------
MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, LogicX, Reason7, Korg legacy, ACE, Alchemy, Emulator II, E-Synth, Obie-4V, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S

_ Six _

#1039157 - 20/03/13 11:28 PM
Business practice aside I really like Waves plugs. Yes, I've been stung by them but, I would buy their products again. I also quite like Softube. Especially their 1176 FET emulation. That sounds great on drums. I've never been convinced by the amp sims though.

Native Instruments have a few beauties too.

Bob Bickerton

Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #1039168 - 21/03/13 12:16 AM
Quote Mattyy:

Quote:

UAD have effectively broken new ground by being better at emulating very good analogue equipment than anyone else.

If you're trying to argue all high end analogue equipment is inferior to 'breaking new ground plug ins' then it may be time to get your ears syringed, if you're not trying to argue that point then UAD wins by default!

It's no coincidence that there's a lot of support for UAD around here - perhaps you should ask why?

Oh and the UAD Precision line is the least interesting of the UAD fare and not because it hasn't been upgraded.

Bob

--------------------
www.bickerton.co.nz

_ Six _

#1039169 - 21/03/13 12:37 AM
I've never used UAD plugs in anger (I considered getting a card) but I can't really tell much of a difference on the listening tests compared to the Waves stuff. I don't really see the point in paying out for one when I can get the native stuff to run without the additional cost and restrictions of the card. They're not exactly cheap! I could buy a decent mic instead!

The tape plugs might have swayed me but again there's the Kramer Tape and Slate Digi affairs that will run on my iLok without the additional cost.

Maybe I'm missing something!

A. AuCr

Loc: NEW England
      #1039172 - 21/03/13 12:52 AM
No love for Variety of Sound? I wind up using his plugs on a lot of channels.

Y'must all be Mac users or sumptin.

Mattyy

#1039174 - 21/03/13 02:25 AM
LOL! Dodges flame throwers
Guess I deserve it for calling out the irrelevant :O "The material sounds great - all nice and Steely Dan polished - but it's about as boring as listening to paint dry." Come on gals/guys - lets give the innovative some love as well as the imitative (as "great" as they are *shrugs*).

Quote:

UAD, next best thing if you can't afford the vintage hardware.

Couldn't of said it better myself

Quote:

Well, plenty of scope for some highly objective "It's not 1974 anymore" slams there!

Sheesh - I thought I was being quite witty. Apparently, Matt from UA took it to heart - LOL!!

Quote:

...To be able to have a plugin that even comes close is great and we should be thankful.. and UAD have been delivering the goods since 2001

I can buy a brand new 1176 for 2 grand here in Canada. I can buy a used one for roughly half of that. I can get the UAD version on my system (Macbook Pro) for a grand plus. Thanks. No second hand option. No chance to preA/B it with PSP Oldtimer. HUH? BTW, there's a shootout UAD beta testers

Quote:

Re: Waves: they make good plugins. and have been doing since at least the mid nineties..they were one of the first plugin developers and they've always been ahead of the game.

Waves would be a footnote without piracy. It actually kind of worked out for them. Again, they have some ingenious plugs but most sound just awful!!! Do yourself a favour and use only Hybrid EQ on a whole mix... sheesh :S Sorry - I'm pissed at them, my sponsorship deal just ran out and they didn't renew. Can you blame them? And me so charming and all. LOL!!

Quote:

If you're trying to argue all high end analogue equipment* is inferior to 'breaking new ground plug ins' then it may be time to get your ears syringed, if you're not trying to argue that point then UAD wins by default!

Nope. I'm trying to argue that time moves forward. Technology improves. But, nostalgia rules in this broken down industry. Time to shake it up. New suggestions? I'm interested in new hardware as well if you have any faves

*assuming you mean vintage here as otherwise your statement wouldn't make any sense.

Quote:

There are many great software developers who have a very good relationship with their users but they are quite often the smaller companies who seem to be able to listen and maintain a good dialogue with the buying public..

Quote:

Now, I don't consider myself a vintage freak, I appreciate both new and old equipment and think some of the focus on vintage can be a bit silly. But, avoiding vintage just because it's old seems to be just as silly to me. If it sounds good, who cares when it was made?

Wisdom I can absorb and use today in 2013. Thanks guys

My take on the suggestions for what it's worth:
IK: Good stuff - just eclipsed by others imho. Ie. CSR vs Aether
Lexicon: LOL!! Can't take on the Lexicon reps as well :O
Audio Damage: REALLY unique and new but often don't sound great to my (need to be syringed) ears :S
Softube: Like them!! Again - do the FET/Oldtimer shootout and tell me what you think.
Native Instruments: Innovative as HELL. They were WAY up there for me but recent developments have dropped them out of the running as far as I'm concerned. The sound is suffering...
Variety of Sound: DAMN I wish Bootsy would port to AU for me!!!!

For my part - I never said that UAD weren't producing GREAT plugs (how would I know?) I just implored them to get CREATIVE.
Remember creativity?
Thanks again for all suggestions.

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Mattyy

#1039175 - 21/03/13 02:38 AM
P.S. RE-201 vs. PSP Echo anyone?
LOVIN' that new plug

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Scramble

#1039197 - 21/03/13 09:49 AM
No reps here. Just a few bemused onlookers.

Dave B

Loc: Maidenhead
      #1039221 - 21/03/13 12:21 PM
I'm interested in how you'd define 'Creative'?

One example is that using a Liquid Mix, I can build a custom eq with Neve low end, a couple of bands of mid from an SSL, a high mid from a Pultect and some glossy top end courtesy of an Amek. It would be interesting, but a) is it _creative_ and b) would the effort involved in creating that plugin justify it's use?

There's a reason why people put a Distressor over drums or an LA2A over bass - it works and works well. The $1000 you spend on a single used 1176 will give you the ability to use 1 channel at a time - with a $2000 UAD card, you can have a shedload of channels of all sorts of cool stuff. Surely, the creativity should be in the _use_ of the plugins..?

(better still in the music .. but let's gloss over that part )

I'm not flaming here - genuinely interested in what you consider 'creative'? Maybe we can point to something that you might like...

--------------------
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi
(I came, I saw, I conkered)

Bossman

Re: Favorite Plugin Developers new [Re: Dave B]
      #1039233 - 21/03/13 01:06 PM
Quote Dave B:

I'm interested in how you'd define 'Creative'?

One example is that using a Liquid Mix, I can build a custom eq with Neve low end, a couple of bands of mid from an SSL, a high mid from a Pultect and some glossy top end courtesy of an Amek. It would be interesting, but a) is it _creative_ and b) would the effort involved in creating that plugin justify it's use?

There's a reason why people put a Distressor over drums or an LA2A over bass - it works and works well. The $1000 you spend on a single used 1176 will give you the ability to use 1 channel at a time - with a $2000 UAD card, you can have a shedload of channels of all sorts of cool stuff. Surely, the creativity should be in the _use_ of the plugins..?

(better still in the music .. but let's gloss over that part )

I'm not flaming here - genuinely interested in what you consider 'creative'? Maybe we can point to something that you might like...

+1 ..the tools are there to be used ..creativity is about how you use the tools. Its about how you use them and what you make with them.

A carpenter doesn't complain about hammers and drills because they are copies of old designs, or because they are unimaginative. They use the hammer to bang in nails, and they use the drill to drill holes.. Its what they make with the tools that counts.

If you have a design that works well, why redesign it... I'm not saying no-one should invent new plugins or tools, but why discount the old trusty designs that everyone else uses to get the job done.

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

WiredUp

#1039259 - 21/03/13 04:03 PM
Personally I find many plugin developers to be way overpriced. My vote goes to Massey, top class products at sensible pricing.

Mattyy

#1039307 - 21/03/13 09:36 PM
As a newcomer to music engineering (8 or so years) but a music veteran (30+ years), I've struggled with getting the music in my head to "wax" so to speak. Computer technology excites me because it helps me get to where I need to be - musically.
Audio plugins, in particular, interest me because there are developers who are trying to really help people like myself make the best sounding music that we can.

Plugin developers who overcharge, put out shoddy product, make it difficult for you to sample their wares or create a business paradigm that only favors those who are "in the club" are holding the industry back in my honest opinion.

Personally, I've been able to, over the last few years, demo a ton of plugs! My initial goal in making this post was to give others the benefit of that experience. And due to the lack of protest to my initial choices, I am assuming that many agree with my picks.

As for WAVES, McDSP and UAD - at this point, I have my reasons for not using their products, ie. I feel that there are better choices out there for me.

"Creative" to me is making something new. PSP Echo is a new take on an established effect. Fabfilter Saturn is a GREAT creative tool and a pretty fresh idea. Automatically putting a distressor over the drum buss or slapping an LA2A on a bass guitar is lazy in my honest opinion. BUT. If after trying a few things, that's what's needed then I understand. I'm pretty sure that Philly Joe Jones might not like having his drums distressed but maybe I'm wrong :S
Just sayin..
PS. I prefer to use a nail gun
PPS. I do like the Massey stuff.. maybe a revisit is in order

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Karl H.

#1039318 - 21/03/13 11:16 PM
If you want to see innovative use of "boring" plugs, then have a look (and listen) to what The Glitch Mob are doing with their UAD plugs. I was a fan of the band before I discovered the UAD connection, and thought their music sounded very fresh and innovative. I was positively surprised when I discovered some videos on the UAD site where they explained how they made some of the effects on their record with the UAD plugs. Things like "mis-using" various plugs just to generate distortion or use compressors to pull out strange details from way down in the decay stage. They have some cool sections where they make the vocal sound like a synth sound and then go back to sounding natural again - in my view some pretty cool stuff.

Guy Johnson

Loc: North Pembrokeshire
      #1039325 - 22/03/13 12:27 AM
Altiverb
Melda Prdouction
PSP
Sonalksis
Tritone

--------------------
Next on with Pembrokeshire Intimate Gigs

SecretSam

Loc: Officially, I do not exist.
      #1039341 - 22/03/13 08:26 AM
I'd agree with much of the above.

+[several] for audio damage and Sonalksis

to add to the fun:

Camel Audio. Very nice synth, and fx. There is a vintage, can't-buy-it-now plug called Super Camel Phat 2 that is a lot simpler than the current version and is utterly mental. Especially the 'random' patch button.

Ohm Boyz make some utterly uncontrollable, pointlessly complicated plugs that make things sound very odd, and sometimes in a good way.

That bloke Scott from Stilwell audio has a few real beauties in his shareware range.

--------------------
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

SecretSam

#1039342 - 22/03/13 08:27 AM
Oh ... mustn't forget dBlue's Glitch.

--------------------

Mattyy

#1039390 - 22/03/13 02:11 PM
Boring? LOL!! Don't think I'll ever refer to any plugin as boring... obsessed me is. Thanks for the heads up Karl - will head to my listening room asap

And thanks for the recommendations all Will (re)demo what I can here.

Audiodamage: These guys really do make it difficult to demo their plugs. I keep hearing good things about Eos but have only heard the online audio samples and as someone has already mentioned...
Altiverb: +1 for sure and for Speakerphone! Overpriced imho tho.
Melda: Mixed on what I've tried. Awesome to blah..
Sonalksis: VERY workmanlike! Just do the job The big knob plugs are fun as well.
Tritone: Keep skipping these by accident. Demoing them this week. THANKS!
Stillwell: Had all the demos on my computer and was going to use them for a month or so deleting as I felt that I may not need. Ended up with none *shrugs* Not bad just that I had other plugs or methods that I liked better.
Ohmboys: Wicked insane but hard to be creative with - there, I said it - LOL!!! A designer that has gone "too" far for me but I'm sure many love the possibilities that they open up!
Glitch: DAMN my Mac - LMAO!!!

Oh - and for the UAD guys - checked this month's SOS, it looks like the Precision line has an update AND it's something that I've not seen much of in plugland. -1 for Mattyy LMAO!!!

Thanks again for the contributions and interest.

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

desmond

#1039395 - 22/03/13 02:43 PM
Quote Mattyy:

Oh - and for the UAD guys - checked this month's SOS, it looks like the Precision line has an update AND it's something that I've not seen much of in plugland. -1 for Mattyy LMAO!!!

ymmv of course but the Precision series are for me among the least interesting of the UAD plugins, simply because they are good but fairly generic tools that can be easily replicated elsewhere. I have a few, including the Precision Limiter that I like but there are as good plugins elsewhere imo - I save the DSP for the outstanding UAD plugins...

But it all depends on what floats your boat, your aesthetic and what produces good results for you of course...

Arthur Stone

Loc: Wales
      #1039402 - 22/03/13 02:57 PM
I've been impressed with Softube (Rack Extensions for Propellerhead Reason): I use the TSAR reverb, Trident A-Range EQ and FET compressor; also enjoying Numerical Sound's Tone Mutation (a convolution processor for instruments). Historically I've enjoyed using the MDA VST plug-in range.

Mattyy

#1039502 - 23/03/13 12:43 PM
Quote:

the Precision series are for me among the least interesting of the UAD plugins...

Quote:

Oh and the UAD Precision line is the least interesting of the UAD fare and not because it hasn't been upgraded.

Hmmnnn.... This is VERY interesting to me.
I have no idea if this is true but it seems to point to a trend that I've been noticing in music of the last 20 years.

Ever since the 70s and guys like Jeff Lynn, we have these Musician/Engineers. Jeff did it wonderfully but it is my opinion that most do NOT :S Today the industry is over-run by what I refer to as musician/engineers and engineer/musicians.

Back to the point at hand. A musician/engineer tends to get their tones down at source and then tries to capture those sounds as purely as possible. An engineer/musician will capture a sound knowing that they have the tools to creatively modify it later in the process. I feel that the former would get VERY excited about a tool that can bring out the natural ambiance that they heard in the room when they first produced the sounds. The latter might be more excited by the Massive Passive plugin that lets them boost the 5-10K region to unnatural proportions thus CHANGING the original tone.

Either way, I think that our industry is GREATLY harmed by both of these new hybrid do it all types (self loathing here because I am trying to become a musician/engineer). In the 50s and 60s the musicians created the music and the engineers captured it. BEST case scenario by far in my books!

In the 90's and 2000's, I spent a considerable amount of time in conventional studios here in Southern Ontario. I was always disappointed that what came out of the speakers wasn't what I heard in the room. Engineers took far too many liberties with my sound/music, I felt. This led me to start to capture my own music. When I read about mix engineers receiving projects, scrapping half of the tracks and using triggers on all of the drums, I CRINGE!!! When I mix other people's music, my M.O. is to just try and get the sounds as close to what I feel that they heard as I can.

Lovin' the Pro-C - parallel compression brings out all of the detail!
Respect for Oldtimer with valve emulation off - softens spiky transients that I know weren't there when (s)he hit the snare.
Love using Decapitator as a send effect so I can bring out lost mid range and warmth that I know came out of that cabinet.
BXdigital to restore lost highs in the mix. You can't overhype it but that's fine by me.
URS tape sat in parallel just sounds right to me. Tape compression over 1176 any time
RS124 leveling the master buss sounds that much more transparent than most alternatives imho.

Maybe the precision line will convert me
VSTis coming soon - almost done the list - LOL!!!

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

_ Six _

#1039508 - 23/03/13 01:37 PM
I like Logics own set of plugs too.. If you can't get a good mix with the plugs in your DAW then you're missing the whole point of what plugs are for. The fewer the better IMO. Get the sounds you want at source.

Mattyy

#1039701 - 25/03/13 02:08 AM
I think that it's better if I preface my soft synth choices with a disclaimer. What I look for in a software instrument is a sound that is pleasing to my ear and is different from anything else that I've heard. Believe it or not, these two criteria greatly limit my choices. But there are products that I love so here are my favorite softsynth plugin designers:

1. U-HE: AWESOME sounding plugins full stop. Unique! DAMN!!
2. XILS Lab: GREAT sound. Reissues but reissues that I like
3. Sonic Charge: More original than great sounding but they still find their way into a lot of my productions. They just require more finessing.
And that's it!
Fabfilter Twin is GREAT but it's only one synth. N.I. Reaktor is awesomely flexible but the sound isn't always the best. Sylenth is nice but limited imho. Granite is sweet - one product again though.

Conspicuous by their absence: Arturia - Awesome but not for me. I feel like these sounds ARE the canon of synth music but since I'm not Rick Wakeman then... G-Force - same. AAS... no.
Done.
Thanks for reading. Hope that my choices help you choose what to spend your hard earned money on or at least point you in the direction of a few products that are fun to demo.
Cheers.
PS. The comment about the DAW plugs.. in a perfect world where I'm not the engineer capturing the sounds I would definitely agree w you - LOL!!

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Karl H.

#1039716 - 25/03/13 08:06 AM
Hi,

Interesting. I think I am in more agreement with you here than on the effects. BTW, I care much more about synths than effects - I'm a synth geek.

Agree 100% with your first choice. I haven't tried the other synths, but U-He's Diva is in my (not so) humble opinion the best VSTI out there by a large margin. It sounds amazing, somehow capturing the "livelyness" of real analogs in a way that no other VSTI seems to manage.

I'm a bit in two minds on Arturia. Their Mini sounds great, but the rest somehow seem disappointing to me. Their Jupiter 8 and CS-80 don't excite me. Possibly I would be disappointed if I got hold of the HW originals, I don't know...

Elsewhere, I think Cakewalk's Z3ta+ 2 is propable the second best VA out there (after Diva). It is far from imitating any single synth, and is extremely flexible in addition to sounding good. A bit surprised you didn´t include it in your list, I would think it would appeal to you.

reFX quadraSID is a recreating of the SID chip (or 4x of them), of Commodore 64 fame. It doesn't really sound like anything else out there, and the VSTI is a bit far out as well, definitively stands out.

In all honesty, unless you are obsessed with synths in themselves as I am, getting a good-sounding flexible VA like Z3ta+ or Diva and then a few selected "one-trick ponys" like quadraSID, you will cover most bases.

Now, does anybody have any soft sampler recommendations? I don't really like NI; their complex interfaces tend to sap my creativity severly, so I've resisted getting Kontakt. The freewave shortcircuit seems to work pretty well - anything out there that works so much better it is worth paying for it?

SecretSam

#1039734 - 25/03/13 11:14 AM
Zeta + is indeed great. PC only, though.

The Karma fx synth is a beaut as well.

--------------------

Mattyy

Re: Favorite Plugin Developers new [Re: Karl H.]
      #1040235 - 28/03/13 01:11 AM
When it comes to effects, I tend to feel more confident in knowing whether a product is competitive or not. When it comes to softsynths, I often wonder if it's not me and the way that I'm using the product that's the problem.

I tried Z3ta+ 2 out and kept it around for a while. There was a WHOLE lot that I liked about it but quite a few sounds just seemed overly harsh and in an inappropriate way. Still other sounds were very anemic to me - almost transparent if that makes any sense at all.

I intend to learn a great deal more about sound synthesis in the near future so my opinions may be quite different in a year or so. Right now I listen and if it sounds good then...

The quadraSID is definitely cool but I'm not sure that I would use it in my music - still I enjoyed the sound. I still like Vanguard as well. Albino has quite a lot going for it. Predator's decent but not for me.. I really liked Synth Squad when I demoed it but that was a while ago now. Nuklear has a sound or two that makes me wonder how they managed to bottle that! Dune can be nice.

I don't know if it's the orange colour but Xils Oxium is still living on my computer in demo form. I think that I may end up buying it because I enjoy playing it and it's very reasonably priced imho.

I'm also compiling a list of one-off plugins that I just can't deny. Between that and maybe a few freebie gems, I might have a nice compilation here by the time I'm done with this post.
Thanks

--------------------
Just a fan of music...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating: *****
Thread views: 12821

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media