Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
redsony

Loc: Northamptonshire
which mike would you choose??
      #1040257 - 28/03/13 08:34 AM
Hi all . . . I am new to the forum but with to pick your expert brains if possible. I am studying a BA in sonic arts.
- for an assignment I am miking up 8 bathroom sinks with the intention of the drips/taps being the trigger to explore and play with sounds and music. I intend on having each individual sink miked up into a pc to produce the sounds of violins, when dripping the plucked sound will be achieved and when flowing a bowed sound - my big ask is which mike??? it needs to sensitive enough to pick up the sound but not to sensitive to pick up the other sinks which will need to be close enough to reach by the player. I am looking at drum mikes atm but could really do with some advice . . . .Many thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jack Ruston

Re: which mike would you choose?? new [Re: redsony]
      #1040264 - 28/03/13 09:12 AM
The problem you've got is that if you apply enough gain to pick up the sound of a drip, you're going to pick up the player scratching his earlobe on Mars. I'm not sure how easy it will be to filter the background noise. So you'd want a highly directional microphone, placed very close, but not so much so that it'd get wet. Perhaps some sort of shotgun mic?

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

redsony

#1040268 - 28/03/13 09:26 AM
Thank you Jack - This is much appreciated - I will look into it in further detail - you are a star

Jack Ruston

#1040269 - 28/03/13 09:32 AM
I wonder what would happen if the tap dripped onto some sort of trigger...or onto the plate of a boundary mic...Water is going to be an issue obv. So these sinks...are they the noisy metal type or the solid as a rock porcelain type?

J

--------------------
www.jackruston.com

redsony

#1040273 - 28/03/13 09:50 AM
I had considered that angle and had decided to use metal sinks to obtain the maximum noise output for the mics to pick up - my ignorance towards pressure triggers, if i am honest, was the reason i am researching into the correct mic for the job, but this is an area I will further research and debate within my assignment if the sound produced does not have the effect required. Any knowledge of the area would be gratefully received though if you have previous experience of triggers. I have not used them to be able to judge the effects it may cause and write confidently in regard to them.

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1040274 - 28/03/13 09:53 AM
I think you may need to widen your search to other kinds of sensor. About the only reliable thing I can think of would be a sensor that is directly under the tap - maybe a mic or, more likely, a speaker with a waterproof diaphragm.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
Re: which mike would you choose?? new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1040278 - 28/03/13 10:18 AM
If you're using metal sinks then I'd suggest fixing a contact mic on the under side directly below where the drips land.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1040283 - 28/03/13 10:26 AM
...or a baked bean tin with a balloon stretched over it and a mic inside the tin up near the diaphragm. Let the tap drip directly onto the surface of the stretched balloon - this should both amplify the drip and also allow you to get the mic safely within a gnat's nadger of the activity.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

redsony

#1040418 - 29/03/13 12:40 PM
Thank you guys - I have decided to try a shotgun mic under the sink so a combination of ideas put across - may i also say it is nice to have like minded folks to chat over the ideas in my head - lol - glad to have found you all and join the chat group - will let you know how the project works out!! many thanks again

Wease

Loc: Sunny Walsall
      #1040553 - 30/03/13 05:45 PM
What about drum triggers? Would a midi pickup trigger not work.

From what I can gather you're not utilising the actual sound of the water on sink, but making these a trigger for string instruments

Would something like the ddrum triggers be useful?

Me...I actually like the idea of recording the actual sound of the water on sink and using that as a compositional sound source.....even using different sink material/heights of water, water velocity, "modified" sink sounds.....and writing a score for violins to accompany that.....but that's not your project.....

Sounds very interesting tho,,,,is it going to be like a live installation?....so one can see the sinks/water composing/triggering in real time?

You could even get 'players' to affect the water flow!........I like the sound of this project....very sensory!

Wease

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1040569 - 30/03/13 10:34 PM
Whatever "sound" you decide the drip will cause (and you might consider various ones) grab a spectrum of it with Rightmark Analyser. You can then build a simple resonant filter (pllel T?) with an op amp "per drip" which should help a great deal in rejecting other sounds.

BTW I have had two very cheap dynamics in the garden since last April wrapped in clingfilm and an old sock and they have come thru the winter unscathed.
Dave.

Edited by ef37a (30/03/13 10:36 PM)

GreenManSwaler

Re: which mike would you choose?? new [Re: ef37a]
      #1041810 - 07/04/13 09:44 AM
Quote ef37a:

BTW I have had two very cheap dynamics in the garden since last April wrapped in clingfilm and an old sock and they have come thru the winter unscathed.
Dave.

Please illuminate

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
Re: which mike would you choose?? new [Re: GreenManSwaler]
      #1041812 - 07/04/13 09:56 AM
Quote Greenmanswaler:

Quote ef37a:

Dave.

Please illuminate

What else to say?
Actually the one in the tree went O/C last week but fortunately I had a replacement Maplin "motor" that fitted. The response is, I am sure, all over the shop but so long as Wife can hear the tweets!

BTW, is there a device that can take bog 75Ohm video plus two sound channels and zap it about on wi-fi? I have found a video transmitter but not as yet one with sound.

Dave.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2467

October 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for October 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media