Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
delite1

Audio for DAW should be on separate drive. But why?
      #1040837 - 01/04/13 11:29 PM
For years I have accepted that my audio files should be kept on an another hard drive distinct from my applications drive. I have just followed this without question. Does anybody know why this is as on one of my laptops I had to put all my applications and audio files on the main drive and I did not notice any difference in performance?

Thanks

Billy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
desmond

Re: Audio for DAW should be on separate drive. But why? new [Re: delite1]
      #1040842 - 02/04/13 12:31 AM
Things like this are good practice for performance reasons but are largely based on good practice from the old days with less powerful systems and poorer performance.

As long as you have drive space available, and your requirements aren't huge, you can record audio to an internal laptop drive just fine, no need to be scared of it.

delite1

Re: Audio for DAW should be on separate drive. But why? new [Re: desmond]
      #1040846 - 02/04/13 01:11 AM
Thanks Desmond

I've got some 7200 RPM external sata drives to connect via a USB 3.0 docking station but I got to thinking, why can't I just put all my audio files in a folder on my 'main applications' Mac Fusion Drive? The fusion drive is big enough for my needs and gives me true SSD performance and I was hoping to simplify things.What do you think?

Kindest regards

Billy

BJG145

Loc: Norwich UK
      #1040858 - 02/04/13 07:10 AM
Quote delite1:

For years I have accepted that my audio files should be kept on an another hard drive distinct from my applications drive. I have just followed this without question. Does anybody know why

The thinking behind this is to stop audio read/writes competing with system read/writes on the same drive. See here.

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2010/01/18/optimize-pro-tools-use-an-ext ernal-hard-drive/

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1040862 - 02/04/13 07:56 AM
Performance is one consideration, but you also need to consider your backup strategy. Audio files can eat a lot of disk space, and you really don't want these clogging up your system drive image backups.

There are ways around this, but a separate drive makes things simpler.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Mixedup

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Audio for DAW should be on separate drive. But why? new [Re: The Elf]
      #1040917 - 02/04/13 02:18 PM
Also makes things simpler when upgrading your machine... no need to migrate terrabytes of data; just hook up the drive to your new machine.

CS70

Loc: Oslo, Norway
      #1041124 - 03/04/13 04:54 PM
All of the above, an the fact that most operating systems page memory to disk on occasion, and controller/bus throughput. However, modern magnetic disk performance and (in PCs) I/O&bus architecture and performance are so improved from times past that backup/etc have a much greater consideration. With solid state devices the performance point is probably completely moot.

My projects aren't big (twenty between tracks and buses at most) but I run all my stuff in a regular (modern) laptop and have no issue at all. In my previous laptop, performance issues were due to operating system services and configuration and typically related to networking or antivirus creating spikes of usage, definitely not to the physical throughput to and from the disk.

Still a good practice for backup tough.

--------------------
http://www.silver-spoon.org - It's just music
..and the FB page

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: Audio for DAW should be on separate drive. But why? new [Re: Mixedup]
      #1041173 - 03/04/13 08:19 PM
Quote Mixedup:

Also makes things simpler when upgrading your machine... no need to migrate terrabytes of data; just hook up the drive to your new machine.

This can be a very important consideration - I moved both of my hard drives over to my new computer, which saved me many, many hours of reinstalling sample libraries, VST instruments and plug-ins, but then added a SSD for Windows/samples to add some go-faster stripes to the proceedings

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Imran500

#1041811 - 07/04/13 09:46 AM
This is quite interesting actually.

Could a single 480 GB Solid State Drive negate the need for twin audio drives - and if it's handling recording as well as reading at the same time is there going to be a limit on tracks/ sample heavy VSTs?

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 3060

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media