Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Guitarking

nt5 and nt55
      #1042413 - 09/04/13 08:18 PM
Hi everyone

Do you really need the pad and hpf on the nt55.
Also i could buy a matched pair nt5 and add the omni caps later but
do these caps need to be matched too?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Bossman

Loc: UK
Re: nt5 and nt55 new [Re: Guitarking]
      #1042415 - 09/04/13 08:37 PM
Quote Peter Denissen:

I use the pad on my nt55s often... and find them really useful. and it doesn't hurt to have a HPF on the mic too.

Quote Peter Denissen:

Also i could buy a matched pair nt5 and add the omni caps later but
do these caps need to be matched too?

Yes, the caps need to be matched too to get the best results..

--------------------
www.Lozjackson.com

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
      #1042417 - 09/04/13 08:42 PM
Quote Peter Denissen:

Depends on what you want to record. Specifically I wouldn't want to track drums without a pad switch. If you have a pad and HPF on your pre then it might not be much of an issue, but it doesn't hurt to have the option on the mic itself.

Quote Peter Denissen:

Also i could buy a matched pair nt5 and add the omni caps later but do these caps need to be matched too?

Ideally yes (and the NT55 pair come with factory matching documentation for both sets of capsules), but it's debatable how crucial this is. Personally I'm always prepared to pay the extra for matched pairs, especially at the budget end of the market.

If what you're really asking is "Are the NT55s worth paying more for than NT5s and a pair of un-matched omni caps?" then, for me, the answer would be "yes". But that's just me. Yes, it's an additional cost, but you won't be left wondering "what if...?"

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

ConcertinaChap

Loc: Bradford on Avon
      #1042492 - 10/04/13 09:23 AM
In my case (I have a pair of matched NT5's with omni capsules that I bought later) it might be a case of not missing what I haven't got. My preamps all have pads and filters and I've never, ever noticed any issues with the non-matched omni capsules (TBH, I wasn't expecting to). I'd say if you've the funds to get the NT55's then go for it, but if you can only afford the NT5's plus omni cpsules then don't lose sleep over it.

CC

--------------------
Remember: Tidy wires are happy wires!
Mr Punch's Studio

Guitarking

#1042624 - 10/04/13 02:28 PM
lol! Two opposite opinions, thanks! No just joking!
Can anyone shine a light on this, maybe one of the SOS staff members?
Does the matched omni capsule really matter so buy matched NT55's or might I as well
go for NT5's with added capsules?

ConcertinaChap

#1042649 - 10/04/13 03:35 PM
No, I don't think the Elf and I are saying opposite things, not quite the same, admittedly but close enough

I just don't think it's a major issue either way.

CC

--------------------
Mr Punch's Studio

The Elf

Loc: Sheffield, UK
Re: nt5 and nt55 new [Re: ConcertinaChap]
      #1042691 - 10/04/13 05:01 PM
Yup, I'm with him ^^

It's nice to have a properly matched pair of NT55s with the additional features they include, but it isn't the end of the world if you go for the cheaper pragmatic option.

--------------------
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Jeraldo

#1042739 - 10/04/13 08:58 PM
Presumably the pad on the mic is to keep the mic amp from overloading, rather than the following preamp, though it would serve that function as well.

I don't use the mic's, but I don't recall seeing complaints about the mic amp (NT5) not coping with high SPL's, OTH perhaps those recording high SPL's are using the 55's.

Those with better memories than mine may recall that very early on the sensitivity of the NT5 was changed to accommodate higher SPL's.

(I've you see this post elsewhere, it was there by mistake, it belongs here. Sorry for the confusion.)

_ Six _

#1042765 - 11/04/13 12:14 AM
I've recently purchased a set of NT5 mics for stereo overhead duty. I'm very happy with them

LeeJamieHayes

Loc: Kent, England
      #1043011 - 12/04/13 11:13 AM
I'm looking to buy a pair of these to experiment with positioning but need justification to spend the extra cash on the 55's.

I know you can get optional capsules for the NT5's and have heard that these mics really perform when paired with the Omni capsule. However, the 55's already come with the Omni capsules in the matched set as well as the cardioid and you also get the pad switch and hi pass filter on each.

Now, this is where my dilemma lies- Are the 55's worth the extra money and has anyone noticed a difference in quality?

What benefits will the extra features give me both short term and long term?

ConcertinaChap

Re: nt5 and nt55 new [Re: LeeJamieHayes]
      #1043062 - 12/04/13 03:02 PM
If you read back up this thread you might find your answer ...

CC

--------------------
Mr Punch's Studio

tacitus

#1043069 - 12/04/13 03:59 PM
As CC says, the answer's further up the thread, or to put it another way, the HPF and pad on the NT55 are FEATURES. Advertising works by making FEATURES sound like BENEFITS. For it to be a benefit, you must decide it's actually a benefit to you, otherwise it's still just a feature. Given that you're having to ask, I suspect the plan would be to go for the NT5s, buy the omni caps and then use the HPF on your mixer and buy a pad if you ever need one. Then the benefit is that the NT5/omni cap combo is cheaper than the NT55 set (and slightly shorter, IIRC).

By the way, I bought the NT55 set, because for me the benefit was having the whole thing together, in a single case and ready to roll. I could see myself using the pad or the HPF switches, but they weren't essentials. Your benefit probably lies elsewhere - don't be afraid to draw your own conclusions because, let's face it, you know more about how you work and what you want to do than any of us. Either way, if you keep them pristine, they should have a fair resale value though less than you paid.

LeeJamieHayes

Loc: Kent, England
Re: nt5 and nt55 new [Re: tacitus]
      #1043092 - 12/04/13 04:46 PM
Quote tacitus:

As CC says, the answer's further up the thread, or to put it another way, the HPF and pad on the NT55 are FEATURES. Advertising works by making FEATURES sound like BENEFITS. For it to be a benefit, you must decide it's actually a benefit to you, otherwise it's still just a feature. Given that you're having to ask, I suspect the plan would be to go for the NT5s, buy the omni caps and then use the HPF on your mixer and buy a pad if you ever need one. Then the benefit is that the NT5/omni cap combo is cheaper than the NT55 set (and slightly shorter, IIRC).

By the way, I bought the NT55 set, because for me the benefit was having the whole thing together, in a single case and ready to roll. I could see myself using the pad or the HPF switches, but they weren't essentials. Your benefit probably lies elsewhere - don't be afraid to draw your own conclusions because, let's face it, you know more about how you work and what you want to do than any of us. Either way, if you keep them pristine, they should have a fair resale value though less than you paid.

I guess the best option would be to have the features at my disposal rather than regret not having them in the future. I think the 55's are the best bet as there is only a 72 pound difference after pricing up the caps, shock mounts, stands and leads for the NT5's. I'm sure this will save me money in the long run if I ever decided I needed the pad and HPF features.

Thanks for the good explanation too- it really helped me to decide!

Guitarking

Re: nt5 and nt55 new [Re: LeeJamieHayes]
      #1065710 - 10/09/13 03:48 PM
How often will I use omni's in stead of cardiods? Overheads with omni's? Or do you need a really nice room to justify omni's? Will there be a lot of difference tracking guitar in my homestudio with cardiod or omni's, so is it worth paying the extra?
A pair of matched NT5's (without the omnis) are often available second-hand, whereas I rarely see the NT55 on the second hand market)

ConcertinaChap

#1065753 - 10/09/13 10:47 PM
Well, as ever there's a trade off. The omnis are generally reckoned to be very high quality transducers for the money, the trade off being you have to take more account of the environment than with the cardioid capsules.

I bought my NT5's second hand and added the omnis later. This makes for a very cost-effective way of doing things, but again it's all about trade-offs (the theme of this thread, really). We can tell you what the trade-offs are but you'll have to make up your own mind in the end how you want to play it.

CC

--------------------
Mr Punch's Studio

John Willett
Sound-Link ProAudio

Loc: Oxfordshire UK
      #1065788 - 11/09/13 08:28 AM
Quote Guitarking:

How often will I use omni's in stead of cardiods?

No idea, but I use omnis more than I do cardioids.

--------------------
John - Sound-Link ProAudio
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

twotoedsloth

Re: nt5 and nt55 new [Re: John Willett]
      #1065880 - 11/09/13 05:28 PM
I agree with Mr. Willett.

I usually record classical music, so this might not apply to what you are normally recording. Still, I do record the odd Jazz combo here and there, and I tend to use omnis most of the time. The only time I certainly reach for the cardioid option first is music theatre.

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
1 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 4433

September 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for September 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media