Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Jonesd90

Loc: United Kingdom, Manchester
XLR
      #1046208 - 02/05/13 12:43 AM
Hi guys,

I've never used XLR cables for carrying anything other than mic level signals. However I am now in need of going from my Lavry DA10 to my PMC DS-001 Speaker amps; both requiring a XLR connection.

Now as I went to simply use my shorter XLR cables to patch between the two of them, I notice there is something written on them like 'OFC Balanced Microphone Cable' which made me think... Is there something about the construction of mic XLR cables which might make them more appropriate to being used with mic level signals compared to the line level in the output of the DA10?

If so, please could somebody point it out to me and explain how and why?

Oh, and also a good place to source some line level XLR cables from (I'm NOT a wealthy HiFi lover so please no silver interconnects or similar bullshit please).

Or am I being stupid and really I should just pickup the nearest TRS cable, cut off the ends and solder on some new Neutrik XLR ends?

Thanks, Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Jeraldo

Re: XLR new [Re: Jonesd90]
      #1046211 - 02/05/13 02:47 AM
I think any mic cable would do.

Depending on the grade of TRS cable, the shield may be rather thin and fragile-they would likely not be braided. It just depends on the quality of the cable.

If you don't plan on moving the cables much you could get a foil shielded cable, but I would just try whatever mic cables you happen to have.

You could use quad as well, especially since they're likely to be near power cables and such-but again, why not just try standard mic cables?

Hugh RobjohnsAdministrator
SOS Technical Editor

Loc: Worcestershire
      #1046219 - 02/05/13 07:37 AM
The OFC refers to 'oxygen free copper' and is intended to imply that the copper used in the core wires and screen is very pure...

Any conventional mic cable will do absolutely fine. Or any 'digital' cable intended for AES3 applications. Personally, I'd avoid starquad cables for this application as a general rule.

If you need to buy new, then if possible buy something with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors and cable from one of the better known names like VDC, Klotz, Mogami, etc.

The SOS shop sells appropriate HOSA cables at good prices for subscribers.

H

--------------------
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1046239 - 02/05/13 10:17 AM
Every so often I nip down to PMT in Salford, pick up 30m or so of their lovely Klotz mic cable, hunt down some used Neutrik XLRs off eBay (never been disappointed yet) put the radio and the Weller on. Cheapest way to get good leads I'd you don't mind the smell of cooking fingers.

--------------------
Onward and outward

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1589

November 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for November 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media