Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
AndyN

Loc: Southampton, UK
Interface latency and other stuff
      #1052975 - 17/06/13 07:57 PM
I am still agonizing about the next audio interface I should buy after my previous one stopped working.

Ideally I would like all my inputs (5 line inputs and 2 mic inputs) to go into the interface and to have one set of outputs going to my main monitors and a single mono out going to my Avantone Mixcube.

Firstly, is the latency from most interfaces going to be low enough to play my keyboards through, or should I be looking for something with direct monitoring?

Secondly, conventional wisdom seems to suggest that a monitor controller should come between the interface and speakers as it gives an analogue control that should reduce any damage if the system crashes. All the interfaces I have looked at have analog control over the main outs but not any of the others, except possibly the MOTU Ultralite.

The MOTU Ultralite seems to do all of these things in the one box and has the advantage of operating in standalone mode. Is this the case and are there any other similar interfaces that I should be looking at? It is a little more expensive than I would like to pay but if it does exactly what I want then I will have to think seriously about finding the cash.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Forgot to say - I am on a iMac so am looking at firewire or USB interfaces.

Edited by AndyN (17/06/13 07:59 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
rACed2

Re: Interface latency and other stuff new [Re: AndyN]
      #1052996 - 17/06/13 09:37 PM
Considered the RME UFX?

UltimateOutsider

Loc: Portland, OR
      #1052997 - 17/06/13 09:42 PM
As long as you get an interface with some kind of "direct monitoring" capability, you'll be fine. Pretty much all high-end interfaces have this, and an increasing number of entry-level interfaces do as well. With the MOTU UltraLite, you use the CueMix program it comes with as a zero-latency monitor.

The UltraLite is a fine interface and probably has more features-per-dollar than anything else in its class. When I had one my latency was 7.098ms input, 12.018ms output at 256 samples, which was fine for playing keyboards live, even without direct monitoring. I mostly only use direct monitoring when recording vocals. (Also note that interface latency is also tied to your computer, so your own numbers may differ from mine.)

Also note that each DAW has its own way of dealing with interface latency. Be sure you understand how your DAW handles things to get the best results.

Tascam and Roland make fine USB interfaces with around the same number of I/O as the UltraLite (I have experience with Rolands and they're quite good), but I believe the UltraLite wins for total number features.

--------------------
My SoundCloud | My DAW Specs

RitchieM

Loc: Skelmersdale, Lancashire
      #1053033 - 18/06/13 06:27 AM
Can't say enough good things about the Roland Octa- Capture. Great piece of kit and heartily recommended.

--------------------
Engineering Surveyor and Musician Pretty Vegas Northwest Function and Wedding Band
Wedding Band Blog

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, Will Betts,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 1055

May 2014
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for May 2014
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Digital Editions | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media