Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dee

Loc: IRELAND
2 soundcards in one PC
      #1055911 - 06/07/13 08:14 AM
Is it possible to keep a Emu 0404 connected to my PC and still use a USB audio interface? I am thinking of doing it to compare performances between the two and was hoping I could swap back and forth between them?

Could be jive talking but just thought I would ask you guys if this was feasible.

Thanks
Dee

--------------------
Hail Hail and up the VSTs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: Dee]
      #1055916 - 06/07/13 09:07 AM
Yes that's perfectly possible - provided you use the right software that can handle more than one soundcard. I've had to do it in Reaper to get around issues with my Focusrite interface.

James.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Dee

Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1055938 - 06/07/13 11:28 AM
Hi James, thanks for responding.

I'm actually wanting to compare my old 0404's (PCIe) performance to my new Focusrite 18i8 USB interface (I've also ordered a NI Komplete 6 to try.....).

I am currently using Cubase 6 (will upgrade to 7 soon) on Windows 7.

Is it a straightforward process? Do I just install both sets of drivers and alternate between them in Cubase?

--------------------

Edited by Dee (06/07/13 11:30 AM)

ef37a

Loc: northampton uk
      #1055953 - 06/07/13 12:40 PM
From my admittedly very limited experience,I think Cubase is one DAW that will give you trouble with this.

In Samplitude (SE8) you could set up a track output 0404 and another output KA6, paste in the same
clip to both and with the outputs fed to a small mixer (as I have done) flip between the two. Not, I hasten to add with ASIO drivers but for playback comparisons no matter?

I see no reason for this not to work in the freebie Samplitude Silver but if not grab the demo of Sam ProX (luverly! wish I could afford it!)

You will love the ka6 BTW...So solid.

Dave

Scramble

Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: ef37a]
      #1055958 - 06/07/13 12:51 PM
This works for me in Cubase 6.

James PerrettModerator

#1055971 - 06/07/13 02:19 PM
Quote Dee:

For reasons best known to themselves, Steinberg decided to invent their own driver model for Windows that was limited to one device at a time. Consequently, you are probably out of luck unless you can find a workaround (like ASIO4All perhaps?). Most other Windows DAW manufacturers are able to support a variety of driver models and I've been using multiple soundcards since the days of Windows95.

--------------------

Dee

#1055982 - 06/07/13 03:15 PM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote Dee:

For reasons best known to themselves, Steinberg decided to invent their own driver model for Windows that was limited to one device at a time. Consequently, you are probably out of luck unless you can find a workaround (like ASIO4All perhaps?). Most other Windows DAW manufacturers are able to support a variety of driver models and I've been using multiple soundcards since the days of Windows95.

Aww well, thanks anyway James.

Dave - yeah, I'm looking forward to getting it. Giving up the ghost with the 18i8 by the looks of things. Not overly happy with the performance of it, unfortunately. Hopefully the Komplete 6 improves on it in this regard.

Was bidding for an RME Babyface.......just missed out on it with some sniping software, by the looks of things. So hope, with regards to USB, now lies with the NI K6. If I still have issues I'm going back to PCIe.

--------------------

Scramble

#1056040 - 06/07/13 10:23 PM
You can do this in Cubase 6, I've just tried it again. You just have to switch between ASIO drivers in VST Audio System.

It is sometimes flaky, and doesn't always work, especially if something else has grabbed one of the drivers but generally it does work, especially after a fresh re-start of the computer.

Dee

Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: Scramble]
      #1056047 - 06/07/13 10:54 PM
Quote Scramble:

You can do this in Cubase 6, I've just tried it again. You just have to switch between ASIO drivers in VST Audio System.

It is sometimes flaky, and doesn't always work, espeically if something else has grabbed one of the drivers but generally it does work, especially after a fresh re-start of the computer.

Thanks a million mate for checking, that's great to know.

--------------------

Goddard

#1056080 - 07/07/13 04:40 AM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote Dee:

Deja vu all over again...

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1055318& ;Main=1053352#Post1053606

As noted, ASIO "device aggregation" is in fact possible under Windows if drivers support it, but even then typically only with interfaces of same make/model and synced to same sample clock, e.g.

http://www.audioscience.com/internet/download/datasheet_asio...

Btw, Windows (WASAPI) audio in "exclusive mode" imposes similar limitations.

shufflebeat

Loc: Manchester, UK
      #1056117 - 07/07/13 10:45 AM
Quote Dee:

2 soundcards in one PC

Quote John Shuttlworth:

It's a nightmare scenario

web page

--------------------
Onward and outward

Dee

#1056189 - 07/07/13 07:25 PM

--------------------

Scramble

#1056192 - 07/07/13 08:02 PM
While it is true that Steinberg limit you to one active driver at a time, that doesn't stop you from being able to quickly switch between them, which is what the OP wants to do.

I actually have three soundcards/audio interfaces running in my system, one PCIe, one Firewire and one USB. (I don't, of course, generally switch between them in Cubase).

Dee

#1056193 - 07/07/13 08:04 PM
Quote Scramble:

While it is true that Steinberg limit you to one active driver at a time, that doesn't stop you from being able to quickly switch between them, which is what the OP wants to do.

I actually have three soundcards/audio interfaces running in my system, one PCIe, one Firewire and one USB.

Yip. That's exactly it mate. Between one thing and another haven't had a chance to reinstall my old 0404 but I will tomorrow afternoon. The Komplete 6 is due on Tues (maybe tomorrow....) so I'll then check them out to see what suits my needs re: performance best.

--------------------

James PerrettModerator

#1056198 - 07/07/13 08:54 PM
Quote Scramble:

Companies that actually understand how the PC worked knew how to work with the existing driver models and didn't have to resort to inventing their own crippled system in order to get their software to work on the PC. Steinberg software worked well on the Atari but their early PC efforts were abysmal - and I speak as someone who purchased Cubase for the PC. After trying to use it for a few weeks I couldn't believe that a software company could get things so wrong - it was the most unreliable piece of software I have ever bought. Consequently, I don't have a very high opinion of the company or of their efforts to redefine driver standards to suit their own inadequacies.

--------------------

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1056302 - 08/07/13 12:15 PM
Oh, and if anyone is still in any doubt as to what works and what doesn't, I think my feature from way back in SOS February 2006 still holds true

www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/articles/pcmusician.htm

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

Dee

#1056377 - 08/07/13 09:02 PM
Thanks for that Martin. I'll have a read through it

--------------------

Goddard

#1056408 - 09/07/13 04:30 AM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote Scramble:

Companies that actually understand how the PC worked knew how to work with the existing driver models and didn't have to resort to inventing their own crippled system in order to get their software to work on the PC. Steinberg software worked well on the Atari but their early PC efforts were abysmal - and I speak as someone who purchased Cubase for the PC. After trying to use it for a few weeks I couldn't believe that a software company could get things so wrong - it was the most unreliable piece of software I have ever bought. Consequently, I don't have a very high opinion of the company or of their efforts to redefine driver standards to suit their own inadequacies.

Had been waiting in the hope that Martin might step in and perhaps clear the air, but finding myself free for a moment I'll just say that, James, with all respect, your statements regarding (or should I say, bashing at?) ASIO and Steinberg reveal an apparent lack of understanding of (if not experience with) what were the existing audio driver regimes and how poor was the high-latency, sample rate-converted, software-mixed, low channel-count audio stream handling under both Windows and MacOS (yes, Sound Manager on Mac was just as limited if not worse back then) at the time (remember Windows 95?) when Steinberg's ASIO (and Emagic's competing "EASI") was developed.

Now, I have never been affiliated with Steinberg and am hardly a fan of ASIO or Cubendo, but I've been around long enough to have a wee bit of experience running multiple multi-channel audio cards in computers (running 2x 4-channel ISA cards in sync under ASIO).

Many people today think that Michael Tippach's clever ASIO4ALL is a novel concept, wrapping a Windows audio device driver in some code to emulate a native ASIO driver, but that kind of emulation was actually being done from the initial introduction of ASIO (when there were very few "native" ASIO drivers available), by Steinberg, to enable lower-latency usage of soundcards having only Windows MME drivers with ASIO applications (although in some cases not for recording, only for playback). And there were other driver and audio API oddities, some of which may even still persist to this day, such as multiple I/O channels needing to be represented as multiple stereo pairs, or in the case of a soundcard having 4, 8 or even 16-channel I/O, as stereo pairs each associated with a separate 2-channel soundcard.

This was back when most new audio interfaces were released with, at best, ASIO drivers only being promised sometime in future. And yet, even with ASIO's single active driver/device limitation from its inception, some ASIO drivers were being written even back then for enabling certain multi-channel audio cards to be aggregated (e.g. a pair of Sonorus ADAT I/O cards).

It was not a trivial matter to develop ASIO drivers for hardware alongside drivers for Windows' own API's, so ASIO support was often late and lacking, e.g. Yamaha's much-delayed ASIO driver for their DSP Factory card was not well-developed for supporting multiple cards even though the card was designed for working in a paired installation along with an SW1000XG card (Yamaha had not yet then acquired Steinberg).

As for companies which knew how computers worked and actually understood the existing driver models, MS and Apple themselves were only concerned with game and/or multimedia-related audio at the time, certainly not with low-latency audio streaming for pro audio. It would still be a good while until MS gave us WDM kernel streaming for lower latency (and Apple acquired Emagic).

Anyway, I've already posted enough about this, so perhaps I should better just point to another of Martin's past articles from relevant timeframe:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec98/articles/pcnotes.779.htm

Edited by Goddard (09/07/13 04:43 AM)

Goddard

Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1056409 - 09/07/13 04:45 AM
Quote Martin Walker:

Oh, and if anyone is still in any doubt as to what works and what doesn't, I think my feature from way back in SOS February 2006 still holds true

www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb06/articles/pcmusician.htm

Martin

Yep!

Neil (Focusrite/Nova...

Loc: High Wycombe
      #1056524 - 09/07/13 04:22 PM
Hi Dee,

Just a quick note to say we're happy to help with your 18i8 should you need some assistance. Or if you would like to send us some performance feedback, feel free to get in touch.

http://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite Technical Support

James PerrettModerator

Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: Goddard]
      #1056574 - 09/07/13 08:40 PM
Quote Goddard:

Had been waiting in the hope that Martin might step in and perhaps clear the air, but finding myself free for a moment I'll just say that, James, with all respect, your statements regarding (or should I say, bashing at?) ASIO and Steinberg reveal an apparent lack of understanding of (if not experience with) what were the existing audio driver regimes and how poor was the high-latency, sample rate-converted, software-mixed, low channel-count audio stream handling under both Windows and MacOS (yes, Sound Manager on Mac was just as limited if not worse back then) at the time (remember Windows 95?) when Steinberg's ASIO (and Emagic's competing "EASI") was developed.

I'm only going from my personal experience at the time. Voyetra, IQS and Twelve Tone System's software was far more reliable than Steinberg's on my system. I would go as far as to say that Voyetra's software never crashed whereas I was lucky to be able to use Cubase for an hour without a crash. I'm afraid that there's no way that you can convince me that Steinberg understood the PC - I know for sure that their software was absolutely abysmal compared to the competition. They should never have released Cubase for the PC when they did if they wanted any sort of credibility.

Your experience may be different but I wasted £199 on Cubase for the PC and I don't like wasting that kind of money on anything. I have never bought another Steinberg product and I am unlikely to ever again unless Charlie Steinberg would be prepared to offer me a public apology for releasing such a bad product and offer me compensation for all the hassle it caused.

None of the systems I used involved sample rate conversion or the other things you describe. Were you a Gravis Ultrasound user perhaps?

James.

--------------------

Edited by James Perrett (09/07/13 08:44 PM)

Martin WalkerModerator
Watcher Of The Skies

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #1056778 - 10/07/13 07:13 PM
Quote James Perrett:

I'm only going from my personal experience at the time. Voyetra, IQS and Twelve Tone System's software was far more reliable than Steinberg's on my system. I would go as far as to say that Voyetra's software never crashed whereas I was lucky to be able to use Cubase for an hour without a crash. I'm afraid that there's no way that you can convince me that Steinberg understood the PC - I know for sure that their software was absolutely abysmal compared to the competition. They should never have released Cubase for the PC when they did if they wanted any sort of credibility.

Hi James,

I also bought the first version of Cubase on the PC (I'd already got the Atari ST version, so it made sense for me to move sideways rather than enter a totally new ballgame). I agree that the first few releases were crash-prone, but all that happened a very, very long time ago and I'm surprised that it still rankles with you

Quote:

None of the systems I used involved sample rate conversion or the other things you describe. Were you a Gravis Ultrasound user perhaps?

Ooh, miaow! I'm sure you didn't really mean to sound condescending to Goddard

What he's referring to is the way that Windows used to sample-rate-convert behind the scenes with its own drivers. ASIO drivers were introduced by Steinberg to provide bit-accurate playback at much lower latencies than were being offered by stock Windows drivers at the time.

Oh, and by the way, for those who weren't around at the time, the Gravis Ultrasound was actually a revolutionary (for the time) soundcard offering the ability to download your own sample data into its RAM so you could create your own sound patches rather than rely on the entry-level ROM-only General MIDI collections around on other soundcards.

Martin

--------------------
YewTreeMagic

James PerrettModerator

Re: 2 soundcards in one PC new [Re: Martin Walker]
      #1056793 - 10/07/13 08:46 PM
Quote Martin Walker:

I agree that the first few releases were crash-prone, but all that happened a very, very long time ago and I'm surprised that it still rankles with you

When you've paid £199 for something that is marketed as the best MIDI sequencer around, you expect something that is going to run for more than an hour. I will never forgive a company for taking my money under false pretenses. If Cubase for the PC wasn't ready for release then they shouldn't have released it - let alone marketed it as something it wasn't. Charlie Steinberg's attitude to the problem didn't help either - he just arrogantly suggested that I buy an upgrade. I usually keep quiet about this issue as it was a long time ago but you may well notice that I rarely, if ever, recommend Steinberg products. There are so many other alternatives that aren't made by people I dislike intensely.

Quote Martin Walker:

What he's referring to is the way that Windows used to sample-rate-convert behind the scenes with its own drivers.

It only did that if you let it. I've never had problems with Windows doing sample rate conversion although I've always been careful with settings. I make sure that the source and the software are always set to the same sample rate.

I always found it interesting that Twelve Tone/Cakewalk managed fine using the Windows standards (they even had a hand in defining some of them) while Steinberg just seemed to fight against them and go their own way. Greg Hendershott was also a much more friendly and helpful person in my experience.

James.

--------------------

Scramble

#1056804 - 10/07/13 10:09 PM
>Charlie Steinberg's attitude to the problem didn't help either - he just arrogantly suggested that I buy an upgrade.

That was a long time ago, Steinberg would never suggest you buy an upgrade rather than fix bugs nowadays, would th... oh wait.

Goddard

#1056949 - 11/07/13 05:45 PM
Quote James Perrett:

Quote Goddard:

Your experience may be different but I wasted £199 on Cubase for the PC and I don't like wasting that kind of money on anything. I have never bought another Steinberg product and I am unlikely to ever again unless Charlie Steinberg would be prepared to offer me a public apology for releasing such a bad product and offer me compensation for all the hassle it caused.

James, ok, I can certainly understand that you have your own reasons to feel the way you do about Steinberg's early port of Cubase to the PC (which I agree was a big disappointment compared to their wonderful Steinberg Jones days Pro 24 sequencer on the Atari). But that was back when Cubase was still only a MIDI sequencer without any audio recording/playback capability (and anyway, the early Cubase Audio on PC required Digidesign's pre-PT hardware iirc), so not really relevant to ASIO which came about later although point taken about expertise in coding for the PC.

From my own experience, I agree that Voyetra's and Twelve Tone's PC sequencers were great, but their inital efforts at audio under Windows were pretty dismal and hardly worth the money either, especially compared with IQS' (Bob Lentini's) assembler-coded SAW paired with a supported audio interface and working alongside (interfaced via MIDI) a decent sequencer. IQS really set the standard back then for usable pro audio performance on a PC without requiring a rack full of DSP cards and drives.

As already noted by Martin, sample rate conversion was inherent in how Windows (and Sound "Mangler" on Macs) handled (mixed) streaming audio and was beyond the control of audio applications (the reason why one learned early on to disable system sounds).

And since you've asked, no, I didn't use a GUS (although I did have an Advanced Gravis joystick), but did use a TB Maui as well as an AWE32 for sampling back when.

Quote James Perrett:

I always found it interesting that Twelve Tone/Cakewalk managed fine using the Windows standards (they even had a hand in defining some of them) while Steinberg just seemed to fight against them and go their own way. Greg Hendershott was also a much more friendly and helpful person in my experience.

I'll have to differ on that, as I was foolish enough to upgrade to the original Cakewalk Audio and suffered for many years as a consequence. Audio performance of Cakewalk Audio/Pro Audio was abysmal, certainly up until CPA v6, and imo only became reliable around CPA v9. Twelve Tone didn't define/set the standards either, except perhaps for DX plug-ins, or perhaps pushing MS to offer kernel streaming under WDM. To their credit though, they did listen to input from their users, including eventually rewriting their audio engine with input from people like Jose Catena (and even myself), but their audio code was buggy for years and the early audio peformance was nowhere near as solid and tight as their MIDI-only sequencer had been. And Cakewalk's belatedly adopted ASIO mode was not great either, although by that time WDM/KS was at least a viable alternative.

FWIW, I can understand your feelings about Steinberg, as for reasons of my own Cakewalk lost my biz for many years until Roland had taken over and Greg H. had departed. Not that I'm particularly keen for Cubendo these days either, although that's down to having been burned by Yamaha in past.

Anyway, regarding ASIO, despite its imperfections and limitations, there's no arguing that it was instrumental in overcoming the limitations (more like, obstacles) to low-latency streaming audio on PCs and Macs. Not that ASIO was the only solution, IQS's D-Wave, Emagic's EASI, Echo's Purewave and other streaming techniques from others in the industry (MOTU's MAS?) come to mind, but ASIO gained traction no doubt helped by Cubase' uptake and VST and the lack of any more practical alternative until WDM-KS. Not that ASIO was always the better choice either, RME's Windows API drivers were actually quite developed and ime sometimes performed better than their ASIO ones.

Ok, that's enough on that. Best just to point to another of Martin's past articles:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/articles/pcnotes.htm

Dee

#1057097 - 12/07/13 01:50 PM
A quick update.

I returned the Scarlett 18i8 (thanks to their support for trying to improve performance on my system - i7, 12gb ram, w7) however, it basically didn't impress. I have received my refund already from Scan.

Bought the NI Komplete 6 - quick try last night. VERY impressed. Performance much better and pre amps were nice. Definite thumbs up so far

--------------------

Goddard

#1057277 - 14/07/13 02:28 AM
Hi, Dee, sorry to hear that you couldn't get on with your Focusrite AI. Was it ever determined what the problem was down to?

Anyway, do let us know how you get on with switching between the NI KA6 and EMU 0404.

Dee

#1057353 - 14/07/13 03:24 PM
Hi Goddard, no mate didn't get to the bottom of it at all. Didn't have much time to spare either as I had to make sure it was returned otherwise I would have been stuck with it.

Still impressed from my fleeting tries with the KA6.

Things have been hectic lately so will hopefully get a chance tomorrow to work on my PC and get software etc., sorted and do a bit of testing with the 0404 and the KA6. I'm heading out tonight though so it may not seem like such a great idea tomorrow!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
2 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 6613

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media