Main Forums >> Recording Techniques
        Print Thread

Pages: 1
Dee

Loc: IRELAND
Behringer B1031A
      #1058481 - 21/07/13 05:04 PM
Hi, has anyone any opinion on the Behringer B1031A monitors? I know Behringer get slated at times but reviews of these speakers seem remarkably good. I find it impossible to a/b speakers instore so have to go by user reviews.
I have my eye on Rokit RP G2 and the VXT4 preowned on ebay (can get g2's for £300 new) . But with speakers, in particular, I'd prefer to buy new.

I'd appreciate any opinions. I'm currently using Samson Rubicon R8A's......

--------------------
Hail Hail and up the VSTs

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator     Back to top
Music Wolf

Loc: Exiled to St Helens
Re: Behringer B1031A new [Re: Dee]
      #1058558 - 22/07/13 07:59 AM
Hi

I had an older version of the Behringer Truths (can't remember the number). Possibly the worst musical purchase of my life.

Part of the problem may have been that they were too big for my room but I expect that I would have been disappointed in any sized space.

At some point I bought some Fostex PM4's to use for location recording. I set them up in my studio and was instantly impressed. Stereo imaging was many times better and mixes translated better onto other systems and rooms. Pretty soon after that I upgraded to a pair of Adams A5s and I've never looked back.

Chris

Dee

#1058562 - 22/07/13 08:11 AM
Cheers Chris.

Yeah, some older behringer gear does get rightfully slated. When I was the manager of a music store we took in the Behringer electric piano to try it out. Dear God......I got a phone call from Behringer HQ asking my feedback and let's just say it lasted quite a while and wasn't complimentary, despite the brilliant price!!

However, the feedback from users on amazon and site reviews of the b1031a's does seem remarkably good. I'm just wondering have Behringer turned a corner and released a well price AND more than decent monitor speaker?

--------------------

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
      #1058570 - 22/07/13 09:16 AM
Quote Dee:

I'm just wondering have Behringer turned a corner and released a well price AND more than decent monitor speaker?

Then wonder no more - they haven't! These speakers ring badly at around 150Hz as a result of using dirt-cheap X-overs.

Insider tip - B&W DM600 S3 (but never the 601 or larger, these are rubbish!) and use a decent amp. Set the X-Over to 100Hz, block the reflex opening and add a couple of reasonable subs for a good 3-way system. You can also go for a couple of the smaller M&K hi-fi speakers and do the same.

But there ain't no such thing as a good, cheap, small, active, two-way system - it ain't gonna happen! A couple of really good (albeit used) passives with small drivers (look for M&K, B&W, K&H) and a couple of subs (or one and a controller) makes for a reasonable system at a reasonable price!

Dee

#1058572 - 22/07/13 09:25 AM
So you're not a fan then Red Bladder

Thanks for replying mate, I'll look in to your recommendations.

--------------------

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1058574 - 22/07/13 09:31 AM
Quote Dee:

But with speakers, in particular, I'd prefer to buy new.

It is usually pretty safe to buy speakers used - especially some of the better makes which may well be down in your price range secondhand. Despite what the marketing men may have you believe, speaker technology hasn't improved that much in the last 30-40 years.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Dee

Re: Behringer B1031A new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1058576 - 22/07/13 09:44 AM
Thanks James, that's good to know. I always presumed speakers would be quite "delicate" and prone to being a bit of a minefield pre-owned.

Any older brands that you would recommend that I can check on ebay?

--------------------

The Red Bladder

Loc: . ...
Re: Behringer B1031A new [Re: James Perrett]
      #1058580 - 22/07/13 09:51 AM
Quote James Perrett:

It is usually pretty safe to buy speakers used - especially some of the better makes which may well be down in your price range secondhand. Despite what the marketing men may have you believe, speaker technology hasn't improved that much in the last 30-40 years.

I agree with the buying of good used. And it 'sort-of' is true that the technology has hardly changed that much, but the better manufacturers have paid more attention in the past 10 years or so, to things other than just F response. The cheapo boys continue to boast proudly of how flat the F curve is, but remain remarkably quiet over things like time response and impulse response.

Those Behringers for example, are unbelievably flat from 60Hz - 10kHz, well within 5dB variation, so if all you had to go on were the F curve, you would wonder why every studio does not own a pair! But every studio has a pair of NS10s and they are very non-linear with a sharp peak at 1kHz and almost no bass, but have impulse and time responses to kill for!

James PerrettModerator

Loc: The wilds of Hampshire
      #1058629 - 22/07/13 01:10 PM
Personally I like Tannoy speakers - their dual concentrics are a classic studio monitor design that still find favour today (and hence still command good prices). I've also liked the sound of their smaller speakers whenever I've heard them but I haven't actually used them for a session.

--------------------
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Pages: 1

Rate this thread

Jump to

Extra Information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Etheridge, James Perrett, zenguitar, Martin Walker, Forum Admin, Hugh Robjohns, Zukan, Frank Eleveld, SOS News Editor,  
Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled
Rating:
Thread views: 2363

January 2015
On sale now at main newsagents and bookstores (or buy direct from the
SOS Web Shop)
SOS current Print Magazine: click here for FULL Contents list
Click image for January 2015
DAW Tips from SOS

Home | Search | News | Current Issue | Tablet Mag | Articles | Forum | Blog | Subscribe | Shop | Readers Ads

Advertise | Information | Privacy Policy | Support | Login Help

Email: Contact SOS

Telephone: +44 (0)1954 789888

Fax: +44 (0)1954 789895

Registered Office: Media House, Trafalgar Way, Bar Hill, Cambridge, CB23 8SQ, United Kingdom.

Sound On Sound Ltd is registered in England and Wales.

Company number: 3015516 VAT number: GB 638 5307 26

All contents copyright © SOS Publications Group and/or its licensors, 1985-2014. All rights reserved.
The contents of this article are subject to worldwide copyright protection and reproduction in whole or part, whether mechanical or electronic, is expressly forbidden without the prior written consent of the Publishers. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. The views expressed are those of the contributors and not necessarily those of the publishers.

Web site designed & maintained by PB Associates | SOS | Relative Media